Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Wait until 2019 season ends. You have Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Howard and Rinne to pick from as the next stopgap for Gillies/Parsons to emerge.
Howard is garbage, Bob won’t be in our price range and Rinne is 36 years old.

High possibility of us, Canes, Senators, Panthers and the Wings being involved in the goalie market next year.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If goaltending falters this season, I hope we strike gold trading a 3rd for a spare part midseason the way the Wild did with Dubnyk in January 2015 (and we did in 2004 for Mikka).

Ideally though, Rittich has a great year as backup and Parsons dominates the A and that's our 2019 tandem.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

High possibility of us, Canes, Senators, Panthers and the Wings being involved in the goalie market next year.
Same with the Oilers. Talbot comes off the books and I wouldn't surprised if he wasn't brought back

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Same with the Oilers. Talbot comes off the books and I wouldn't surprised if he wasn't brought back
Very true. That’s what I mean, not the best time to be in the goalie market. Prices will be high and so will the contracts being handed out. Sooner, rather than later is the time to address Smith’s replacement

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

We’re not looking for someone long term, it’s pretty obvious it’s been that way because we have high hopes for Gillies and Parsons. We just need one of those old goalies for 1-2 years. Plus, there are some young goalies like Mrazek or Lehner that we can give a shot if they dislike the teams they signed with.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Honestly, I used to feel that way, but it seems more and more apparent that we need 2-3 years before our homegrown talent is ready.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Honestly, I used to feel that way, but it seems more and more apparent that we need 2-3 years before our homegrown talent is ready.
It's been 2-3 years for the last 15 years at least. IMO we just need to bite the bullet and pay the price for a young-ish high potential guy like EDM/ARI/SJS did with their current starters. If Parsons or Gillies turn out to be better then that's great, we have some depth and trade assets. But enough with the post-apex stop gaps.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I doubt the Flames pick up anybody off of waivers. Anybody they take they would have to keep up with the Flames. No picking them up and then immediately sending them to Stockton. A trade would be best. Bring one in and move one out.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I could see them picking up a press box forward if they do indeed send Lazar and Peluso down. I can't see them keeping one of Mangiapane or Dube up just to sit around for any significant length of time when they could be playing top line minutes with the Heat.

Would be surprised if they claimed a goalie.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I could see them picking up a press box forward if they do indeed send Lazar and Peluso down. I can't see them keeping one of Mangiapane or Dube up just to sit around for any significant length of time when they could be playing top line minutes with the Heat.

Would be surprised if they claimed a goalie.
Yeah but then you're stuck with that guy (press box forward) for the whole season on the Flames roster. The only way you can get him off the roster is to find someone who will take him in a trade. No waiving him to the AHL

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah but then you're stuck with that guy (press box forward) for the whole season on the Flames roster. The only way you can get him off the roster is to find someone who will take him in a trade. No waiving him to the AHL
That's incorrect. You can still waive players claimed off of waivers. Waiver priority remains the same.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That's incorrect. You can still waive players claimed off of waivers. Waiver priority remains the same.
I thought the team that originally waived the player had first shot at reclaiming, in the event that player was waived again

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought the team that originally waived the player had first shot at reclaiming, in the event that player was waived again
iirc they get the choice of taking them back if no other team put in a claim

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

IMO this season I think we should target a experienced stop gap instead of trying to buy a young guy. IMO, there are no young guys that will shake free.

Let the other teams fight over guys like Bob. We can't take on the cap.

Howard isn't as bad as we've seen from the combination of Gilles and Rittich IMO. I think his stats are bad due to what's going on in Detroit. With Bernier in Detroit, I think Howard could be moved for salary retention like Smith was to us while Detroit rebuilds. His worst case scenario IMO is a 1B vs a 1A/1A with Smith. Even worse than that? Well, at least we tried and Gilles is given that spot.

Another target IMO is Andersen. We know he wants out. I'm curious if a combo of Rittich + Stone could net Andersen salary retained (yeah, yeah it's Melnyk) and something else for our farm. If no salary retention, movement of a contract could offset it (ie: Stone)

I wanted Lehner in the off season, I still think he might be a target in the long run (ie: TDL) if NYI gets knocked out of the race. He seems to be getting help for his issues.

Elliott. Yes, we allowed the dude to hang himself that one playoff series and it was a mutual parting with perhaps some bad blood. But the dude's hot/old spells is still better than what we've seen from Rittich.

Scott Darling. Hear me out. Darling was crap last season, but apparently it was due to not being well conditioned and perhaps poor at the head stuff regarding being the guy for the starting role. If he's super bad again and Canes want out, salary retained and he's not too bad of an option as a longer term backup behind Smith this season, but also a at least a decent level guy to push younger guys etc. longer term. He seems to be a good backup, but perhaps not the guy to be a starter (yet?). I could see this guy being a Dubnyk level resurrection in the long run.

Finally, I think it might be an interesting idea to try and super vamp up the goalie coach stuff. I'd be curious to know if there's some way to lure Sean Burke over here (could require dropping one of Conroy or Pascall... which isn't ideal either) to develop a system for us. I'm not even saying replace Sigalet. I'm saying find a way to get Sean Burke to teach and manage Sigalet.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
iirc they get the choice of taking them back if no other team put in a claim
Ahh, makes sense. But if the original team ends up with the player, he doesn’t have to be exposed to waivers again and can be assigned directly to the AHL. Correct?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
IMO this season I think we should target a experienced stop gap instead of trying to buy a young guy. IMO, there are no young guys that will shake free.

We have missed every young guy so far, why should we buck the trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad