Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This waivers stuff.. so complicated and confusing.

So can a team claim a player on waivers, and then immediately put him on waivers with the purpose of sending him down to their farm team and if nobody claims said player he will report to the said farm team?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We have missed every young guy so far, why should we buck the trend?

Like who? I count like 2 guys max we could have been on.

Jones - Suave moves by Wilson there. LA wanted him out of conference. Boston was used to broker the deal. Hard to repeat, but I hope Treliving starts learning to broker deals. I also think it was the same season we moved on Dougie, no? I doubt we had the assets that season to acquire him unless we traded the subsequent years first (Valimaki)
Grubauer - Required a significant cap commitment to buy out Orlov. (2.5 AAV this season, 1.5 AAV next) which we couldn't do.
Talbot - Rumors were that Sather was doing the Oilers a solid. We were out from the get go.
Darling - Seems Chicago wanted him out of Western conference.
Mrazek/Lehner - Basket case. Probably not preferred by management.
Raanta - I wanted him before NYR. Then Arizona paid a ridiculous price to get him (Stepan + Raanta for meh + 7OA). I don't believe we could have afforded this one because I seem to recall NYR was doing what they could to acquire Lias Andersson.
Kuemper - Not sure about this one. I would have hoped Treliving was in on this one. An overpay would have been justifiable.

Dell - Not available
Murray - Not available
Saros/Korpisalo/Samsonov - Not available

Who else have we missed out on and who the hell of the young goalies will actually shake free?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This waivers stuff.. so complicated and confusing.

So can a team claim a player on waivers, and then immediately put him on waivers with the purpose of sending him down to their farm team and if nobody claims said player he will report to the said farm team?

Sure? But most teams would just trade for said player for a pick after he clears and then send that player direct to the farm. I think most teams wouldn't even mind doing a conditional pick (essentially nothing) to make that transaction. Most teams waiving a player don't really want said player. It's only rare occasions that a team is trying to sneak a player down due to a numbers game.

That's why you get trades like Shink/Granlund and Shore/Knight type trades. No one really wants to risk losing a guy for no reason.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Like who? I count like 2 guys max we could have been on.

Jones - Suave moves by Wilson there. LA wanted him out of conference. Boston was used to broker the deal. Hard to repeat, but I hope Treliving starts learning to broker deals. I also think it was the same season we moved on Dougie, no? I doubt we had the assets that season to acquire him unless we traded the subsequent years first (Valimaki)
Grubauer - Required a significant cap commitment to buy out Orlov. (2.5 AAV this season, 1.5 AAV next) which we couldn't do.
Talbot - Rumors were that Sather was doing the Oilers a solid. We were out from the get go.
Darling - Seems Chicago wanted him out of Western conference.
Mrazek/Lehner - Basket case. Probably not preferred by management.
Raanta - I wanted him before NYR. Then Arizona paid a ridiculous price to get him (Stepan + Raanta for meh + 7OA). I don't believe we could have afforded this one because I seem to recall NYR was doing what they could to acquire Lias Andersson.
Kuemper - Not sure about this one. I would have hoped Treliving was in on this one. An overpay would have been justifiable.

Dell - Not available
Murray - Not available
Saros/Korpisalo/Samsonov - Not available

Who else have we missed out on and who the hell of the young goalies will actually shake free?

Jones
Andersen
Talbot
Darling
Raanta
Grubauer

Off the top of my head. That’s a lot of starting goalies; only Darling was a miss.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jones
Andersen
Talbot
Darling
Raanta
Grubauer

Off the top of my head. That’s a lot of starting goalies; only Darling was a miss.

OK, come on. I just explained why some of those goalies weren't even possible for us.

Andersen I forgot about. TML paid a late 1st and a 2nd for him in 2016. We drafted Tkachuk, Dube and Parsons in the early rounds, so it didn't look like we had the type asset types to acquire him. I'm curious to know if there was a inter-conference premium from the Ducks.

I don't think Treliving was clueless about these guys going on the market, but I think there were specific reasons why we didn't qualify as being someone able to acquire said player or the player wasn't able to be acquired at the time for something that made sense.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Since Andersson didn't make the roster, and most of the RHD have term. Is there anything from Toronto that you'd trade him for?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Since Andersson didn't make the roster, and most of the RHD have term. Is there anything from Toronto that you'd trade him for?
Nothing really. Stone's gone before next season and he's the only RHD prospect in our organization that's any good. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him up this season

Reactions: HC7

HC7

May 2, 2018
Nothing really. Stone's gone before next season and he's the only RHD prospect in our organization that's any good. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him up this season

Makes sense.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Not likely anything that TO would want to give up.

It isn't like the team is disappointed in him and he is likely in the line-up FT by the start of next season if not sooner.

So unless you are looking at moving someone like Kadri for him I don't really see a fit.

Reactions: HC7

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Andersson didn't make the roster??? Did I miss something?

As far as I know, nothing's been reported about Andersson being sent to Stockton.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Andersson is literally the only right handed defensive prospect in the system now that Fox is gone.

He's also waiver exempt for this year and next. He's definitely not available.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
OK, come on. I just explained why some of those goalies weren't even possible for us.

Andersen I forgot about. TML paid a late 1st and a 2nd for him in 2016. We drafted Tkachuk, Dube and Parsons in the early rounds, so it didn't look like we had the type asset types to acquire him. I'm curious to know if there was a inter-conference premium from the Ducks.

I don't think Treliving was clueless about these guys going on the market, but I think there were specific reasons why we didn't qualify as being someone able to acquire said player or the player wasn't able to be acquired at the time for something that made sense.

My point is, we went the Hiller/Ramo/Elliott/Smith/Lack/Etc route.
It hasn't panned out so far. Which is okay, it happens.

I think you have to gamble on a high profile young goalie or get a star goalie. No more tweeners.

Reactions: tmurfin

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We missed the boat on young, available netminders. Just have to hope at least one of our three guys can figure it out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Still nothing in the news about the status of Mangiapane and Andersson. Gillies too but I would bet money that he's picking up his plane ticket to Stockton as we speak. Does this mean that Treliving is working on one or two deals involving these players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad