Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jones
Andersen
Talbot
Darling
Raanta
Grubauer

Off the top of my head. That’s a lot of starting goalies; only Darling was a miss.
Jones, Kings wanted to move out of conference and was apart of the Lucic return. Jones was later traded for a 1st in the next draft, but that would have cost us Tkachuk
Andersen, Ducks wanted out of Conference
Talbot was traded after the Hamilton deal, matching the Oilers offer would have cost us Andersson & Kylington
Darling, Hawks wanted to trade out of conference
Raanta, this is hard to gauge since it was a bigger deal involving Stepan and a top 10 pick
Grubauer, Caps turned down better offers to include Orpik's contract

So while me missed out, it was probably a good thing we did on the ones we had a chance on

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Still nothing in the news about the status of Mangiapane and Andersson. Gillies too but I would bet money that he's picking up his plane ticket to Stockton as we speak. Does this mean that Treliving is working on one or two deals involving these players?
Rosters have to be set tomorrow IIRC, if so, you'll find out then.

Edit: yup

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Rosters have to be set tomorrow IIRC, if so, you'll find out then.

Edit: yup

Gillies - missing but probably on his way to Stockton tomorrow as its been reported that Rittich will start the season in Calgary
Kulak - traded
Valimaki - confirmed that he's staying with the Flames
Andersson - missing
Lazar - cleared waivers today but still here in Calgary and practicing with the Flames
Peluso - sent down to Stockton
Dube - confirmed that he's staying with the Flames
Mangiapane - missing

So with Valimaki and Dube now with the Flames that leaves one player left and its between Mangiapane and Andersson.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies - missing but probably on his way to Stockton tomorrow as its been reported that Rittich will start the season in Calgary
Kulak - traded
Valimaki - confirmed that he's staying with the Flames
Andersson - missing
Lazar - cleared waivers today but still here in Calgary and practicing with the Flames
Peluso - sent down to Stockton
Dube - confirmed that he's staying with the Flames
Mangiapane - missing

So with Valimaki and Dube now with the Flames that leaves one player left and its between Mangiapane and Andersson.
When was Peluso assigned to Stockton? I don't think the Flames made any announcements on any players today.

But if you pay attention to who was on the ice today, it's between Lazar & Andersson.... and since Treliving has said we won't carry 8 defdenseman, it is most likely Lazar that is staying, unless we claim someone.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When was Peluso assigned to Stockton? I don't think the Flames made any announcements on any players today.

But if you pay attention to who was on the ice today, it's between Lazar & Andersson.... and since Treliving has said we won't carry 8 defdenseman, it is most likely Lazar that is staying, unless we claim someone.
Well Peluso was waived and he cleared so I guess technically I'm making an assumption that he's Stockton bound. Lazar will be playing in Stockton this year.. not Calgary. That leaves Andersson and Mangiapane.
Just because Treliving said they won't be carrying 8 defenseman this year doesn't mean they won't for the first few games of the season. Like any good GM Treliving doesn't disclose all his plans just because some reporter asks..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well Peluso was waived and he cleared so I guess technically I'm making an assumption that he's Stockton bound. Lazar will be playing in Stockton this year.. not Calgary. That leaves Andersson and Mangiapane.
Just because Treliving said they won't be carrying 8 defenseman this year doesn't mean they won't for the first few games of the season. Like any good GM Treliving doesn't disclose all his plans just because some reporter asks..
How can you ignore the obvious? Mangiapane not practicing with the team, while Lazar is, yet you still think Mangiapane has a better chance than Lazar.... very odd. Considering Treliving's statement was about young defensemen and how 8 doesn't give them enough playing time, I think you can take him at his word. Also hilarious and bizarre that you took that quote as gospel when you thought it was regarding Kulak, but don't regarding the younger Andersson. You are just all over the map.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know what's going on with Mangiapane. As for Lazar even he thinks he will be playing in Stockton. As for the 8 defensemen you keep inferring that it would be permanent. Of course it wouldn't. That would be silly. If it happens it would be for just a few games at the start of the season.. like for 2 or 3 weeks in October. I can very well imagine a 3rd pairing of Vali and Andy this season with Stone no longer with the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know what's going on with Mangiapane. As for Lazar even he thinks he will be playing in Stockton. As for the 8 defensemen you keep inferring that it would be permanent. Of course it wouldn't. That would be silly. If it happens it would be for just a few games at the start of the season.. like for 2 or 3 weeks in October. I can very well imagine a 3rd pairing of Vali and Andy this season with Stone no longer with the Flames.
You really read the Lazar quote wrong if that's what you think, he's saying he will do whatever he has to even if it means going to the AHL. Nothing was said about where he expects to play, just he expects more from himself.

Stone is going nowhere dude. He is the insurance policy for our top 4 and is going nowhere until either Valimaki or Andersson prove they too can take shifts in the top 4 without hurting the team. I don't know why I have to keep beating this drum, it's an extremely simple concept.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You may be right but in the end it's just your opinion. However sometimes the drum you beat is the wrong drum. You're not infallible and always right. Don't get so bent out of shape when others disagree with you.
I see Andersson playing with the Flames this year and in order to make that happen Stone will be traded. Andersson is better than Stone. If Andersson doesn't start the season on the Flames roster it's strictly an asset mangement issue. Treliving will fix that issue asap.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You may be right but in the end it's just your opinion. However sometimes the drum you beat is the wrong drum. You're not infallible and always right. Don't get so bent out of shape when others disagree with you.
I see Andersson playing with the Flames this year and in order to make that happen Stone will be traded. Andersson is better than Stone. If Andersson doesn't start the season on the Flames roster it's strictly an asset mangement issue. Treliving will fix that issue asap.
I know I'm not always right, not bent out of shape either, just know you are blatantly ignoring the obvious. I have been following this game long enough to know a team won't risk going into the playoffs with 2 rookies as their insurance for the top 4. So unless they prove something, because thus far they haven't, Stone is going nowhere.

Andersson will play when there are injuries... something you never ever seem to factor in. Even though I took the time to point out to you how rare our almost injury free season on the back end was. But of course, you blatantly ignored that too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In your opinion is Andersson better than Stone?
No, he isn't. He played 10 whole games last year and didn't look nearly as good as Stone during that time, in fact, he didn't look completely NHL ready IMO. A few preseason games won't change that opinion because another thing watching hockey for 30+ years has taught me, is veterans and rookies have far different compete levels in the preseason because one is getting into game shape, while the other is trying to steal a job.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No, he isn't. He played 10 whole games last year and didn't look nearly as good as Stone during that time, in fact, he didn't look completely NHL ready IMO. A few preseason games won't change that opinion because another thing watching hockey for 30+ years has taught me, is veterans and rookies have far different compete levels in the preseason because one is getting into game shape, while the other is trying to steal a job.
Well we disagree. I think Andersson is better than Stone and I think that Tre will what he has to in order to ice the best team possible. Let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
They didn't last year

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lazar Beams

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For those of you that were hoping the Flames would put a claim in for either McHardtospell or Pickard.. sorry.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Philly might be as much of a goalie graveyard as the Flames. How many have they gone through in the past 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad