Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
What's Lazar worth at this point, like a fourth or fifth round pick?

Crosby if 50% retained.

I'm sure he's been shopped the last few weeks, if not the end of last season. I wasn't on the "Lazar begone!" train but I have boarded it...

Reactions: Cyrano

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What's Lazar worth at this point, like a fourth or fifth round pick?
A bag of slightly used pucks?

No that's not fair. He tries hard. He just can't finish. The best thing to happen to Lazar is to be waived to Stockton and not claimed. Maybe a whole season in Stockton will salvage his career. Right now its in tatters.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lazar, like Bennett, was rushed into the NHL. The only difference is that it’s obvious Bennett is way more skilled.

I think Lazar would have a great season in the AHL and have tons of confidence coming back up next season if he has improved.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A bag of slightly used pucks?

No that's not fair. He tries hard. He just can't finish. The best thing to happen to Lazar is to be waived to Stockton and not claimed. Maybe a whole season in Stockton will salvage his career. Right now its in tatters.

Speed, energy, but no hands, not great physically and only okay defensively at best.

He's like a shitty Lombardi.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Speed, energy, but no hands, not great physically and only okay defensively at best.

He's like a ****ty Lombardi.

How dare you besmirch the good name of Matthew Lombardi. He's at best a worse Dustin Boyd. As for his value, it wasn't a 1st rounder, nor a 2nd rounder, so I guess keep digging.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
I’ve been wondering if Brodie can’t get back to his former self, would it make sense to trade him for a goalie?
Doing this would allow for our defense to shake out as
Gio - Hamonic
Hanafin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Kulak
This allows for Andersson to get top 4 minutes and while Valimaki could use a year in the AHL, if management thinks he’s ready it could work. It also helps Peters has had success with turning out good young d-men.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I’ve been wondering if Brodie can’t get back to his former self, would it make sense to trade him for a goalie?
Gio - Hamonic
Hanafin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Kulak
This allows for Andersson to get top 4 minutes and while Valimaki could use a year I’m the AHL, if management thinks he’s ready it could work. It also helps Peters has had success with turning out good young d-men.

I wouldn't be against it, but I'm legit curious with how fans perceive Brodie right now.

Reactions: Potty John

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Let Andersson establish himself a bit before you throw him to the wolves.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gio - Hamonic
Hanafin - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Kulak
This allows for Andersson to get top 4 minutes and while Valimaki could use a year in the AHL, if management thinks he’s ready it could work. It also helps Peters has had success with turning out good young d-men.

I can't think of a goalie that would be available, worth Brodie and the team dealing that goalie would have interest in getting Brodie in return.

The closest is Allen although I don't think he alone is worth Brodie or that the Blues would move him with no goalie coming back to replace him.

It would be a risk but we could always move Hamonic and Gio around if the young guys need a steady partner rather than having them together.

Reactions: Potty John

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Stone for Coburn

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Coburn-Andersson
Kulak

Some concern over the bottom pairing being too slow. And yes, I'm aware the Lightning most likely wouldn't want Stone if they're trying to move Coburn.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stone for Coburn

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Coburn-Andersson
Kulak

Some concern over the bottom pairing being too slow. And yes, I'm aware the Lightning most likely wouldn't want Stone if they're trying to move Coburn.
So your plan is to make us worse and decrease our cap space all in one move. Brilliant.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I don’t think Lazar will be waived. Him and Hathaway will be the extra forwards.

I think it will end up being Hathaway and Peluso

Hopefully Lazar can resurrect his career in Stockton (spoiler alert: no careers will ever be resurrected down there) or on some other NHL team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it will end up being Hathaway and Peluso

Hopefully Lazar can resurrect his career in Stockton (spoiler alert: no careers will ever be resurrected down there) or on some other NHL team.

The issue with having Hathaway and Peluso as the PB guys is that really limits what you can do if you need someone to fill in for an injury.

They both are 4th line plugs that at best can offer "toughness." Neither guy could help out at C if needed, neither guy can play up the line-up, neither can should ever see the special teams, neither guy can add an element of speed if you need that.

Maybe the Flames think they can get other guys to fill those rolls by moving up the line-up and just plug them in to the 4th line RW spot but I think it would be nice to have someone like Lazar who can at least bring a few different things rather than two guys who are basically the same.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Flames:
Varlamov(extended)
Wilson

Avalanche:
Frolik
Stone
Rittich
2019 1st(top 10 protected)

-Wilson’s contract expires after this year and he probably has similar value to Frolik, at least on the offensive side of things.
-Stone probably improves the Avs defence
-Avs get a cost cost controlled backup, that’s a similar age to Grubauer.
-We free up spots for Dube and Andersson
-We should be able to extend Varlamov to a 5x5 contract, buying a couple twilight years. In all honesty, I think Parsons/Gillies are at least a few years away from taking the starter reins. Run with a Smith/Varly tandem this year, with Gillies as backup next year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we are trading a first for a Russian goalie it should be for Samsonov, Sorokin, or Shestorkin.

Not a guy who is a bandaid and a UFA. I don’t mind going after Varly/Bobrovsky in the off-season though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think the goalie market will be fairly hot this offseason. The Avs really have no reason to move him and it isn’t hard to believe that a team would pony up a 1st, for the insurance moving into the playoffs, if the Avs aren’t in a position to compete.

I mean he’s a guy that’s averaged 2 less games per season than Smith, over the last 6 years and has a slightly higher save percentage.

Not to mention freeing up spots for Andersson and Dube, who IMO, have already earned spots on the roster.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Wilson-Ryan-Dube
Lazar

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson
Prout

Smith/Varlamov

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t mind the idea, he is clearly a legit 1 when healthy. but I really don’t think we would have to give up our first (nor should we). I’ve alao never been 100% sold on Grubauer, don’t thibk it’s a guarantee he works out.

I think we could go after Varly in FA.

Also, Czarnik isn’t nearly as good as Dube. I don’t see why people keep penciling him in above Dillon even though they are pretty equal and Dube is like 5 years younger.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t mind the idea, he is clearly a legit 1 when healthy. but I really don’t think we would have to give up our first (nor should we). I’ve alao never been 100% sold on Grubauer, don’t thibk it’s a guarantee he works out.

I think we could go after Varly in FA.

Also, Czarnik isn’t nearly as good as Dube. I don’t see why people keep penciling him in above Dillon even though they are pretty equal and Dube is like 5 years younger.
Different dynamic. Czarnik controls more and slows down the game. I think that could really help take the 3rd line to another level. I do agree that Dube probably has a higher upside but I like the fit better the way I have it. I think the 3rd and 4th lines will be mostly interchangeable.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wait until 2019 season ends. You have Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Howard and Rinne to pick from as the next stopgap for Gillies/Parsons to emerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad