Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
You guys think we should offer sheet Kapanen? Dude is crazy fast and he would the perfect replacement for Frolik.

If not I hope we try and trade for him, hopefully Marner causes some cap casualties and hopefully Kapanen is one of them.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
You guys think we should offer sheet Kapanen? Dude is crazy fast and he would the perfect replacement for Frolik.

If not I hope we try and trade for him, hopefully Marner causes some cap casualties and hopefully Kapanen is one of them.
I'd be curious what his cost is but I don't hate the idea.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If we could get him in the bracket where all we pay is a 2nd round pick absolutely.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be curious what his cost is but I don't hate the idea.

Honestly, this should be the summer of the offersheet.
The UFA pool is garbage, and there are a lot of teams that don't have cap, but have good players available via RFA.

If the Kapanen negotiation doesn't end quick (like Toronto decides they're going to lock him up before Marner, or they get Marner done fast and move salary out on the draft floor, etc), if I'm BT, I'm picking up the phone to Dubas, offering him some Czarnik and picks package in good faith; if that's rejected, I'm calling Kapanen's agent, and offering him 3.8-4M on a 2 year deal offer sheet. If it works, you pay a second for a decent speedster. If it doesn't work, Toronto goes further into cap jail. Essentially they have already dropped the soap in cap jail.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly, this should be the summer of the offersheet.
The UFA pool is garbage, and there are a lot of teams that don't have cap, but have good players available via RFA.

If the Kapanen negotiation doesn't end quick (like Toronto decides they're going to lock him up before Marner, or they get Marner done fast and move salary out on the draft floor, etc), if I'm BT, I'm picking up the phone to Dubas, offering him some Czarnik and picks package in good faith; if that's rejected, I'm calling Kapanen's agent, and offering him 3.8-4M on a 2 year deal offer sheet. If it works, you pay a second for a decent speedster. If it doesn't work, Toronto goes further into cap jail. Essentially they have already dropped the soap in cap jail.

Yeah a lot of the GMs are already pretty upset with Dubas for that albatross he gave Matthews. I doubt BT loses too much respect around the league for getting after him at all

Also would allow another team to target a guy like Johnsson too

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

There is no way Tre will resort to an offer-sheet. BT is one of the most respected GM's league wide and now is a senior member of the old boys club. He won't be the one to start a new trend.

Teams that may consider an offer-sheet are the Kings, Phoenix, Canes, Edmonton, or Ottawa.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
RFA being eligible for Offer sheet is more or less like an UFA, except that the team has a right to match (and there's compensation if they dont). Sorry to repeat this if it is obvious, but too often people seem to think Offer Sheets as some kind of magical tool you can throw at a player. GM and player can negotiate just like they do with UFA players, and if a contract is signed its called Offer Sheet.

None of us has absolutely no idea how often these negotiations happen, I'm guessing at least there's some contact between a GM and player (or his agent) quite often. Kicking tires doesnt hurt anyone.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
What wait? As far as I can tell Volica is correct. Any offersheet involves next years picks, as of right now we are only missing our 4th next year. I do not think we have any outstanding conditions that could affect our 2nd next year.
Im just going off what it told me here
Calgary Flames Future Draft Pick Status
We have a 2nd this yr and isle take our next yrs 2nd because we made the playoffs

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Im just going off what it told me here
Calgary Flames Future Draft Pick Status
We have a 2nd this yr and isle take our next yrs 2nd because we made the playoffs

That site is incorrect I think, but there's conflicting information out there. Cap Friendly has it as 2019 2nd and I trust them.

Edit: So it was our 2nd was going to Arizona last year if we made the playoffs. If that happened, the Isles pick would have been bumped to 2020. Instead it's our 2019 Pick.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Conditions get a little complicated. If CGY misses playoffs in 2019, NYI gets the 2nd round pick that year.

That's because there's a pre-existing deal in place with ARI, that if CGY makes playoffs in 2019, ARI gets CGY's 2nd rounder.

So if ARI gets that 2019 2nd rder, NYI will get 2020 2nd round pick from CGY.

If CGY sends NYI a 2nd in 2019, the 4th the Flames get back is also in 2019. If CGY sends 2nd in 2020, the 4th rder they get back is 2020.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
so since we made the playoffs this yr, Arizona gets our 2nd this yr and NYI next yr? Damn, i thought we still had a 2nd this yr

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Thats not really what im reading from boby macks tweet
The conditions on the picks were based off of making the playoffs last year, which we did not, that is why Arizona got our 2018 3rd round pick and the Islanders got out 2018 2nd round pick and will receive our 2019 2nd round pick.
Had we made the playoffs last year the Coyotes would have received our 2018 2nd round pick and the Islanders would get the 2019 and 2020 2nd round picks, but that did not happen. So the end result is Arizona received our 2018 3rd round pick and the Islanders received our 2018 and 2019 2nd round picks. Calgary is still in possession of their 2020 2nd round pick.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Here me out:

Brodie + Jankowski + Kylington for Kadri + Kapanen

Frolik + 1st (going based off rumored deadline deal) + Stone (cap reasons) for Zucker

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Kadri-Kapanen
Bennett-Backlund-Zucker
Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

That's 4 dominant possession lines that also bring a solid amount of snarl and grit.

We'd have the best forward group in the NHL and come Playoff time (or earlier), put Kadri with Gaudreau & Monahan with Tkachuk

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Here me out:

Brodie + Jankowski + Kylington for Kadri + Kapanen

Frolik + 1st (going based off rumored deadline deal) + Stone (cap reasons) for Zucker

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Kadri-Kapanen
Bennett-Backlund-Zucker
Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

That's 4 dominant possession lines that also bring a solid amount of snarl and grit.

We'd have the best forward group in the NHL and come Playoff time (or earlier), put Kadri with Gaudreau & Monahan with Tkachuk

Toronto needs RHD. Brodie and Kylington don’t really do much for them

Babcock is already pouty about having to play muzzin on the right side as an LHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad