Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Actually, I forgot Bouma's buyout.

So that's 4 players that did not play for the Flames in the elimination game, while costing them $11.5 mil in dead cap space.

That's almost as much as Johnny and Monahan combined. They get constantly crapped on.

Yet the Wizard escapes criticism.

Go figure.

That's.... not how buyouts work. We have a cap penalty of 2.4 from buyouts. Assuming you are referring to Neal as the other part, 8.2 would be the total. While I understand the criticism you are trying to level, you should confirm your numbers first.

Hanifin is also 22, and more accomplished than any of our other D prospects. He played top 4 well all year. I think shipping him out now would be a huge mistake.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Biggest hole is RW and a goalie unless we can get a definitive #1 centre which I doubt.
I like the idea of Hayes as he can flip between RW and centre.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ?
Tkachuk - Lindholm - ?
Bennett - Backlund- Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If the Flames revisit the rumoured trade deadline deal for Jason Zucker they might not have to do too much more work in the off-season other than to shed cap and acquire picks and maybe another top 9 forward or a goalie. I hate trading with an enemy though.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Zucker
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Ryan

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Yeselin

Kylington - Prout

Rittich
?

Reactions: Potty John

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If the Flames revisit the rumoured trade deadline deal for Jason Zucker they might not have to do too much more work in the off-season other than to shed cap and acquire picks and maybe another top 9 forward or a goalie. I hate trading with an enemy though.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Zucker
Bennett - Backlund - Dube
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Ryan

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Yeselin

Kylington - Prout

Rittich
?

Do you really think that Jason Zucker and his 42 points put us over the top?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
With my post I was suggesting that maybe we don't have to tinker as much as we think. We can't discount the great season we had. Would adding Zucker get us to the finals? I don't know. But he's 4 years younger than Frolik with 4 years left on his contract and the Flames were hot after him at the deadline. Would they be again? Another I don't know. Size wise the Flames might change their tack.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Lets go unrealistic!

Neal + 1st round pick for Zucker
TJ Brodie + Mark Jankowski for Vincent Trocheck
Frolik for a 3rd + 5th
---
Sign K. Hayes
---

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hayes
Tkachuk - Trocheck - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Zucker

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
For all the talk about getting faster, moving Brodie in favour of keeping hammer and Andersson seems pretty counterintuitive. Your talking about the slowest right side in the nhl at that point. Can’t believe I’m defending the guy, but it seems like people are all but ready to assume he’s gone when that isn’t the case. Hope tre uses his head for this one and doesn’t listen to the fans who seem to know it all.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I liked the idea of Hayes when he was in New York even though I didn’t watch him a ton

He did nothing for me at all on Winnipeg and he’s not a guy I would throw big money at

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lets go unrealistic!

Neal + 1st round pick for Zucker
TJ Brodie + Mark Jankowski for Vincent Trocheck
Frolik for a 3rd + 5th
---
Sign K. Hayes
---

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hayes
Tkachuk - Trocheck - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Zucker

I like the idea of packaging Brodie and Jankowski for Trochek. The Panthers won't like the idea, but you did say unrealistic

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For all the talk about getting faster, moving Brodie in favour of keeping hammer and Andersson seems pretty counterintuitive. Your talking about the slowest right side in the nhl at that point. Can’t believe I’m defending the guy, but it seems like people are all but ready to assume he’s gone when that isn’t the case. Hope tre uses his head for this one and doesn’t listen to the fans who seem to know it all.

Hammer isn't a slow Dman.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I liked the idea of Hayes when he was in New York even though I didn’t watch him a ton

He did nothing for me at all on Winnipeg and he’s not a guy I would throw big money at

My big issue with Hayes is that he put up career numbers being used as the big dog.
Know what I mean?

Like 1st unit PP time, offensive advantage draws, etc. The problem is when you tone that down to the second or third line, you're not getting what you were pegged TBH.

If Calgary signs Hayes, it's legit to be the top line centre on this team.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I like the idea of packaging Brodie and Jankowski for Trochek. The Panthers won't like the idea, but you did say unrealistic

Yeah it's a little bit out there but Florida definitely needs some serious help on defense and Trocheck is coming of a very tough season himself with just 34 points and some injury issues.

The lack of depth they have at center however is the major issue with the proposal.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
For you of all people to be saying the bolded is so ironic it's practically palpable.

Because moving a top pairing dman for a team trying to contend now makes sense...

Pfft. This board has been wrong more than enough times these past 12 months, this is one of those moments.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Because moving a top pairing dman for a team trying to contend now makes sense...

Pfft. This board has been wrong more than enough times these past 12 months, this is one of those moments.
Brodie is only a top pairing defenseman in the sense that he looks good with Giordano. By that logic, anyone can be a top pairing defenseman.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Brodie is only a top pairing defenseman in the sense that he looks good with Giordano. By that logic, anyone can be a top pairing defenseman.

Like Dougie Hamilton...

Oh wait.

He’s a #2 dman with flaws, but make no mistake, he wouldn’t get his minutes if he sucked and got carried by giordano. He was solid by every metric this year, and just an fwi, Giordano had a career year playing by the not top-pairing dman Brodie just so the narrative doesn’t flip.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Like Dougie Hamilton...

Oh wait.

He’s a #2 dman with flaws, but make no mistake, he wouldn’t get his minutes if he sucked and got carried by giordano. He was solid by every metric this year, and just an fwi, Giordano had a career year playing by the not top-pairing dman Brodie just so the narrative doesn’t flip.

Brodie also got demoted to the third pairing multiple times and Gio didn't really skip a beat. Brodie can get us another top 6 forward.

I think either Hamonic, Brodie, or Hanifin gets traded this offseason and Brodie is the easiest to replace with what the Flames have on the left side.

Reactions: Nanuuk

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
If we could get Trocheck, that would be the greatest thing ever. Don’t know if he’s available tho

Also yeah, Gio really does make anyone he plays with look good. Gio is that type of player. I honestly don’t think Brodie is a #2, or even #3 dman

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Because moving a defenseman in the last year of his contract from our position of strength to hopefully bolster our roster elsewhere makes sense potentially yeah?

And no shit a fan message board is wrong more often than it's right. Doesn't mean you aren't one of the biggest offenders for being a know it all that likes to act like his opinion is gold and everyone else is an idiot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Because moving a defenseman in the last year of his contract from our position of strength to hopefully bolster our roster elsewhere makes sense potentially yeah?

And no **** a fan message board is wrong more often than it's right. Doesn't mean you aren't one of the biggest offenders for being a know it all that likes to act like his opinion is gold and everyone else is an idiot.

So why not move hamonic, the none puck moving dman whos style of play isn’t as good of a fit in today’s nhl and who’s minutes are easier to replace? Or better yet, move neither of them and decide between the two in a year from now.

I’m absolutely dying on this ledge, and this is nowhere near as crazy as the section of this board who wants to blow it up because of a few playoff loses (seriously ffs?). Rhd is hardly an organizational strength, and this is a team that’s contending right now. Teams don’t move two top pairing dman in a span of a year if they are contending, and I love Andersson as much as anyone, but he is nowhere near ready to be pencilled in as our top pairing dman.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Calgary's NHL Caliber D-men:
  • Gio L
  • Brodie L/R
  • Hamonic R
  • Hanifin L
  • Valimaki L
  • Andersson R
  • Stone R
  • Kylington L

The safe d-men are Gio-35(Captain), Hanafin 22 (Long-term young reasonably valued contract), Valimaki 20 (Future #1 d-man) and Andersson 22 (best true R d-man). It is likely Tre trades 1 or 2 of Brodie, Kylington, Hamonic, or Stone. Fantenberg and Prout are 2 possible press box candidates that can fill in quality minutes.

The 2 that make the most sense to me are Brodie and Kylington.

TJ is in the last year of his contract and holds significant value around the league with his smooth skating and offensive capabilities. Many teams will like that he is capable of playing both sides and has done reasonably well on the PP at times through his time in Calgary.

Kylington has proven he is a capable NHL defenseman and even though he does have his lapses for the most part he is defensively responsible. Oliver has incredible play-making capabilities and a pretty good shot for a team needing a D-man needing help on their power play. Oliver's relatively high ceiling will garner plenty of attention if he is put on the market. The only reason he is not in Calgary's future is the Flames are loaded down the left side with Valimaki, Hanafin and Gio ahead of him. There is no foreseeable slot for Kylington in the next 2-3 years. Unlike Kulak Tre won't let this asset sit so long he can't maximize Oliver's value.

Why Hamonic likely won't be traded. Hamonic is Peters most trusted defensive d-man used in almost every PK and critical defensive zone draw. Moving Hamonic could prove to be very challenging when one considers he is only really able to be traded to Western Canada teams due to his being near family concerns that found himself traded from the NYI. Lastly no player on the Flames matches Hamonic's community and social issue involvement.

Why Stone is likely won't be traded.
Quite simple it will cost Calgary assets to move Stone's contract out of Calgary. I won't say it can't be done but Tre would have to be sold on the return to give up Stone and an asset.

What will Tre trade for?
  1. A sniper like Hall, Kessell, or some other pure goal scorer.
  2. A 1a/b center like Point(If Tampa decides they can't afford him)
  3. blue chip prospects for the blue line or wing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Turris could be an interesting acquisition if salary is retained to 4MM AAV. RHS who we can go back and forth between 3C and top 6 RW. Honestly, he's reminds me of Doc and I don' t think he fits Nashville's style. I think Nashville would like to move salary out of their bottom 6.

Offer perhaps would be something along the lines of:

Nashville:
Turris @ 2 mil retained + X(futures... blue chip or A prospect?)

Calgary:
Janko + Brodie

Why Nashville may do this:

If the Subban moving rumors are true, Brodie can keep relative pace with Subban for half the cap. Subban is moved for futures/whatever upgrades to replenish whatever we're peeling out of their cupboard for Janko/Brodie. Janko takes Turris' role in the bottom 6/can grow. Nashville also unlocks cap to use for something (ie: forward upgrade if the Duchene rumors are true). Moving a higher end prospect may hurt, but if Subban is moved with Brodie taking his role, they can probably back fill that hole relatively quickly/easily.

Why Calgary may do this:

Nashville may want him gone and we can get him for cheap. We aim to put Turris as the 3C (was a 2C in Ottawa) or as a swing top 6 RW. He's a relatively speedy RHS C with high IQ sorta like Doc who might do quite well if insulated with some finishing and muscle (ie: Neal and Bennett) or on a line with Tkachuk - Backlund as a majority play maker/surprise finisher. 4MM is reasonable cap, especially if until 2024. However, even if Turris doesn't work out, his buyout is dirt cheap. If bought out in 2020 (season immediately after acquisition), it'd be 2 mil per season until 2028... except we're only on the hook for 1.333 per season due to salary retention to 4 mil. Obviously we can wait an extra season to buy out, but I'm sure trading him salary retained would be better... bonus Turris is a character guy. We need to move bodies anyways, so if we ship out two roster players (another move to move Frolik) and obtain high end futures, it fares well for us to get rid of the logjam, but also improve our prospect pool.

Thoughts?

Also, who would you try to target as the add from Nashville's side?

Oddly enough, there might also be a Turris for Neal straight swap that may work. It seems that Neal's style might be something Nashville may consider re-acquiring. Buying out James Neal in 2020 yields a 1,916,667 cap hit till 2026, so going for a straight swap with Turris could work as the buyout is ridiculously similar.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Turris could be an interesting acquisition if salary is retained to 4MM AAV. RHS who we can go back and forth between 3C and top 6 RW. Honestly, he's reminds me of Doc and I don' t think he fits Nashville's style. I think Nashville would like to move salary out of their bottom 6.

Offer perhaps would be something along the lines of:

Nashville:
Turris @ 2 mil retained + X(futures... blue chip or A prospect?)

Calgary:
Janko + Brodie

Why Nashville may do this:

If the Subban moving rumors are true, Brodie can keep relative pace with Subban for half the cap. Subban is moved for futures/whatever upgrades to replenish whatever we're peeling out of their cupboard for Janko/Brodie. Janko takes Turris' role in the bottom 6/can grow. Nashville also unlocks cap to use for something (ie: forward upgrade if the Duchene rumors are true). Moving a higher end prospect may hurt, but if Subban is moved with Brodie taking his role, they can probably back fill that hole relatively quickly/easily.

Why Calgary may do this:

Nashville may want him gone and we can get him for cheap. We aim to put Turris as the 3C (was a 2C in Ottawa) or as a swing top 6 RW. He's a relatively speedy RHS C with high IQ sorta like Doc who might do quite well if insulated with some finishing and muscle (ie: Neal and Bennett) or on a line with Tkachuk - Backlund as a majority play maker/surprise finisher. 4MM is reasonable cap, especially if until 2024. However, even if Turris doesn't work out, his buyout is dirt cheap. If bought out in 2020 (season immediately after acquisition), it'd be 2 mil per season until 2028... except we're only on the hook for 1.333 per season due to salary retention to 4 mil. Obviously we can wait an extra season to buy out, but I'm sure trading him salary retained would be better... bonus Turris is a character guy. We need to move bodies anyways, so if we ship out two roster players (another move to move Frolik) and obtain high end futures, it fares well for us to get rid of the logjam, but also improve our prospect pool.

Thoughts?

Also, who would you try to target as the add from Nashville's side?

Oddly enough, there might also be a Turris for Neal straight swap that may work. It seems that Neal's style might be something Nashville may consider re-acquiring. Buying out James Neal in 2020 yields a 1,916,667 cap hit till 2026, so going for a straight swap with Turris could work as the buyout is ridiculously similar.

I would like Jarnkrok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad