Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I am interested come June 18-21 to see what Tre has decided he needs to do moving forward. Which D-men will be traded? Does he move salary out to sign Duchene? Does he add draft picks, upgrade forwards or just stand pat?

Which goaltender does Tre go after... Lehner... Smith or does he dedicate himself to a Gillies Rittich duo?

Really have not heard what Tre is unhappy with.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Just pleaaaaaaaaasee get a new #1 centre and whatever you do DONT TRADE GAUDREAU. Monahan can go.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Pretty sure we missed that boat. We just don’t have a $6+ million dollar goalie in the budget. I could see something around Schneider, 25% retained for Brodie deal happening.

Schneider is awful at this point, that deal would be horrible for us. Schneider is literally so bad that even Schneider at 30% for Neal is a loss for us.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Mike Smith bought himself at least another year with his playoff performance. This team needs proper leaders and when the games got tough, he was the only big name that stepped up.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Mike Smith bought himself at least another year with his playoff performance. This team needs proper leaders and when the games got tough, he was the only big name that stepped up.
I thought Gaudreau stepped up, he just had zero help except Bennett, and by game 5 he was gassed and had no confidence.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

Smith really turned it on the last few months and into the playoffs.. Maybe took some time to adjust to the changes? I'd be fine starting the season with him and Rittich splitting duty like last year.. Except this time I think we'll see Smith start better. Key will be to limit his games though and do a 1a/1b again and see who's hot going into the playoffs. Plus, I think we can get Smith on a pretty cheap deal.. maybe $3mil for the year?

Need to spend the cap this year to try and update top 6.. Get a top 6 C to push people down the lineup and then have Dube and Mangi full time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Smith has earned another year. Rittich as well really.

Where we need to retool our goaltending is our prospect system. Gillies and Parsons both are looking like long shots at this point. McDonald had another non-noteworthy season in the ECHL. Schneider looks like maybe there is something. Retooling our prospect goalies should be a goal this off season.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Get a glasses, talking to those, who saw something in Neal and called me a hater. You need to get your vision checked. On the other hand, Smith improved at the end ,so I will slightly hold my hand for that one.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
So both Pittsburgh and Toronto are in a bit of a pickle cap-wise going into next season. Rumours floating around include Pittsburgh trading the likes of Malkin and Kessel to clear some room, but also because they want to make changes to their club. Toronto may soon have three $11M players and have valuable RFA's to sign (if they aren't offer sheeted), and will lose some UFA's from their defence core.

Is Calgary in a position to deal with either club? For example, if the Flames decide that James Neal is not the answer do you trade him and another piece to, say, Pittsburgh for a Kessel? The Flames would take on more salary, yes, but presumably they would see more production. Pittsburgh would see a salary saving. Or Toronto. Do you now try and acquire a player like Nylander for a D like Brodie and a cheaper centre like Jankowski? Or do you attempt a larger trade?

I guess it all hinges on how you like the make-up of your club and whether you think they can repeat a 50 win season. I think more than a few players had career shooting percentage seasons and the points that went with it. I'm not sure if they can repeat that. So, I'm in the let's make a couple of big changes crowd. A RW that can really score would be nice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There are teams for the picking, for Calgary to really take advantage of.
I trust Brad. I trust he'll be working the phones to see what shakes loose. I really do see Kadri as a fit in Calgary; that would improve our centre depth considerably. I also see Kapanen as a guy who's bring a tonne of value; and would burden the loss of someone, like, Mark Jankowski in a trade.

If Pittsburgh even considers moving someone like Malkin, Calgary should be on the phone yesterday kind of thing. He's a bit older (33 starting this year) with a few years left... but with that trade you get one of the best players in the league. You only get him for maybe another 5 years, but that cup window gets kicked open kind of thing.

The Thrill, while being an elite point producer and scorer, does nothing for me personally. I don't think he's a guy that'll take Calgary to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad