Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kylington is still waver exempt next season. Fantenberg is not. You can only carry so many bodies on the NHL roster at the time so need you NHL depth basically waiting in the AHL. Kylington would be the first in line when injuries strike, which they almost certainly will. He'd get regular minutes in the AHL, although he certainly wouldn't be happy about it but such is the life of NHL prospects.

You're right about Andersson though. Even when Brodie was "demoted" to the third pairing, he still played over 20 minutes, usually only second to Giordano. And Andersson was heavily sheltered for the most part, so yeah, I don't see how the team would just pencil him in on the top pairing immediately.

Yeah, I guess? Personally don’t think it’s the best use of assets, but I can see your rational on keeping kylington. But I know for sure Valimaki is the guy who gets graduated next year given his performance, so that’s going to be an interesting factor moving forward.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
So, what makes Yelesin so special? First and foremost, he’s a physical, right-handed defenseman coming off of a career-best 10-point season. Now, 10 points in 55 regular season games may not jump off the page — and zero points in 10 postseason games for Lokomotiv definitely doesn’t jump off the page — but there’s more to Yelesin than goals and assists. He’s a punishing player in his own zone who doesn’t shy away from taking the body.
Yelesin registered 188 hits this year. He led both his team and the KHL in hits by a significant margin. The second-highest hit total in the league belonged to teammate Nikita Cherepanov who finished the year with 128 hits. If that frequency of body contact on an international ice surface wasn’t eye-catching enough for NHL scouts and general managers, Yelesin also clocked a 102 mph slap shot at the KHL All-Star game on Jan. 19, 2019.

Should the Rangers be looking at Alexander Yelesin?

Sounds like a guy we need, but can he skate? We honestly y need a mobile regehr.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So, what makes Yelesin so special? First and foremost, he’s a physical, right-handed defenseman coming off of a career-best 10-point season. Now, 10 points in 55 regular season games may not jump off the page — and zero points in 10 postseason games for Lokomotiv definitely doesn’t jump off the page — but there’s more to Yelesin than goals and assists. He’s a punishing player in his own zone who doesn’t shy away from taking the body.
Yelesin registered 188 hits this year. He led both his team and the KHL in hits by a significant margin. The second-highest hit total in the league belonged to teammate Nikita Cherepanov who finished the year with 128 hits. If that frequency of body contact on an international ice surface wasn’t eye-catching enough for NHL scouts and general managers, Yelesin also clocked a 102 mph slap shot at the KHL All-Star game on Jan. 19, 2019.

Should the Rangers be looking at Alexander Yelesin?
Russian Scott Stevens.

His size (5'11" and 192#) is a bit underwhelming. Of course, that may mean squat.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Younger, cheaper, faster and has a similar ceiling. This is what the top teams do is cycle out vet talent at the right time.

And what has kylington proven exactly that he can hit that ceiling? He did ok with bottom pairing minutes but had meh advanced stats and was outplayed by a deadline acquisition in every aspect but offense. And there is no chance he beats out any of our lhd when we are healthy.

Speaking of vet talent, most of this board wants hamonic long-term over Brodie. Asset management wise, that’s a poor choice imo for a number of reasons I’ve already explained.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Younger, cheaper, faster and has a similar ceiling. This is what the top teams do is cycle out vet talent at the right time.
Honestly, I think both will be gone. All the trade rumours and Valimaki playing in the playoffs over Kylington seem to be a fairly clear message about Kylington’s future with the team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Speaking of vet talent, most of this board wants hamonic long-term over Brodie. Asset management wise, that’s a poor choice imo for a number of reasons I’ve already explained.

Brodie may look good occasionally but he pooped all over when you really needed him

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am of the opinion that Neal should be given one more year here... much like Brouwer.

I think Neal can still put up 15-20 goals, 25-35 points, but he’s definitely lost a little bit in his step. Hopefully with the off-season he comes back better but only time will tell.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
let's say we try and avoid knee jerk reactions... Where are we at with this forward roster?

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Mangipane - Ryan - Hathaway
Janko - Dube - Neal
Czarnik

Frolik out. Neal won't be moved. Is this a predicted to be a superior or inferior line mix than this season?

What happens if Bennett and Lindholm are swapped or Neal moved to top 6 to jump start him?

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
You trade Brodie. You're not going to be able to resign him and there's an expansion draft coming. You have Vali and Andersson who can step into that role with Gio. Max is value right now, get a high pick or spec into the farm and clear the cap space.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I honestly would not be surprised if Calgary makes a major move this off-season similar to the Carolina one we did last year.
I don't think Brodie will be back. I also have a feeling we will make at least one more change to the top 6 as well.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
let's say we try and avoid knee jerk reactions... Where are we at with this forward roster?

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Mangipane - Ryan - Hathaway
Janko - Dube - Neal
Czarnik

Frolik out. Neal won't be moved. Is this a predicted to be a superior or inferior line mix than this season?

What happens if Bennett and Lindholm are swapped or Neal moved to top 6 to jump start him?
Hathaway might be gone too.

The right side needs a lot of help. There isn't a lot of help in free agency.

If Lindholm is playing more centre next season, the right side goes from needing help to needing life support.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I think there will be a few moves this summer
1) Frolik will be traded for Cap reasons
2) Stone will be traded for Cap reasons
3) Possible moves if its felt they will ask for to big of a raise 1 of Brodie or Hamonic will be traded
4)Under surprise moves I think Kylington and Bennett will both request a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad