Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, we should look at a top 6 winger rather than C. C are too rare or will command too much asset or salary wise. I wouldn't do a major overhaul.

Lindholm
Monahan
Backlund

Top 9 C. IMO, that's pretty damn respectable if you surround them with some excellent wingers. We then have to figure out what Janko and Bennett need to do to be better versatile wingers a la Frolik.

I think tweaks like the rumored Zucker fall through are the ones that would work well as well. After that, IMO its time to look at goalies.

Serious question though. Why did Monahan look like he had a bunch of black eyes that he was recovering from late in the season? It looked like he was either punched in the face repeatedly, or hadn't slept for a month.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wonder what we’re going to do with Kylington, him and Valimaki are both ready for full time NHL and I think Kylington is at the point where ahl time is going to hinder his development. I also think Dube is going to have a great year for us next year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Zucker is not the answer.

To the doubters, prove me wrong.

I want someone like Ferland, but with a more consistent effort.

Zucker isn't the answer, but he would have helped for sure in this series against Colorado.

Calgary was too easy to shut down. The first line didn't show up. The second line had their hands full with MacKinnon. The third line was a dumster fire as it was for the majority of the year minus about 20 games here or there. The fourth line showed up... but they're a 4th line. They won a game for us. What else could you ask from a 4th line outside of winning a playoff game for you, and hoping the rest of the team does the rest?

Honestly, even Zuccarello in Dallas looks like he'd have been a better option than nothing. I think Calgary made the mistake of being complacent about this deadline. Guys like Hayes, Zucc, Stone or Duchene would have been major additions to this team when everything was said and done.

I've said it before in this thread. Brad's got his work cut out for him this offseason. This team was close, but really not close at all. Luckily it's a young core that can only get better (not including Gio), and I think with the right moves at the right time; this team jumps into another stratosphere... which is saying a lot; as they were a major team from this season.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Zucker is not the answer.

To the doubters, prove me wrong.

I want someone like Ferland, but with a more consistent effort.
Chris Krieder maybe? He's the one option I could actually see being avaliable or maybe a young guy who hasn't made it yet but big semi skilled guys who play power forward style games are kind of unicorns.

Off the top of my head

Ferland
Wilson
Kreider
Tuch
Tkachuks
Benn

Kreider + Zucker + Non Jankowski 3c makes us a way better team, but I don't know if we'll have the assets to get both or either of them. I saw a lightning fan prospose Palat/miller for Jankowski (god knows why) but that's a really easy upgrade without doing anything.

Side note I wonder who the flames would've taken 12th had the Mike Ribeiro trade gone through in 2014. Alex Tuch? Pastrnak? Larkin? A Bust?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Chris Krieder maybe? He's the one option I could actually see being avaliable or maybe a young guy who hasn't made it yet but big semi skilled guys who play power forward style games are kind of unicorns.

Off the top of my head

Ferland
Wilson
Kreider
Tuch
Tkachuks
Benn

Kreider + Zucker + Non Jankowski 3c makes us a way better team, but I don't know if we'll have the assets to get both or either of them. I saw a lightning fan prospose Palat/miller for Jankowski (god knows why) but that's a really easy upgrade without doing anything.

Side note I wonder who the flames would've taken 12th had the Mike Ribeiro trade gone through in 2014. Alex Tuch? Pastrnak? Larkin? A Bust?

2014 draft; bolded would be accurate.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
2014 draft; bolded would be accurate.
In 2012 they also traded away from Teravainen, Hertl and Vasilevsky in order to take Jankowski. So a 1C, a 1W and a 1G were just sitting there and we moved back to get a bad 3C. Every time Feaster gets brought up people act like he wasn't that bad. He was.

2014 was a disaster, 4th overall turns into a 3rd liner, use 34 on the 2nd ranked goalie only for the top ranked goalie to progress much better, draft an overager who wasn't a point per game player over a local talent who produced like a first rounder. Even Hickey who most people liked probably wont turn into anything.

2013 was even worse 3 first round picks and we get 1 NHL player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't say Treliving was complacent at all this deadline. He had a deal for basically all of Simmonds, Zucker, and Stone allegedly. They just all fell apart for one reason or another. And then he was in on a number of other players to varying degree's of seriousness.

I mean, there's a pretty big difference between sitting back entirely and refusing to decimate the future by giving up a Valimaki or Andersson or both.

And honestly, I thought given the circumstances (i.e., the lack of experience for the core) adding finishing pieces was a mistake at this time. None of the players available at the deadline really would have made much of a difference; not when the majority of a team just doesn't show up at all. Even Stone or Duchene aren't going to fix Monahan's passiveness or Tkachuk disappearing after game one.

At least the Flames still have their first rounder and their other assets to use on actual, longterm fixes instead of rentals.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the Flames want to make a move, they have a surplus of good defencemen now. Going into this last season, and even at the TDL, there would have been a lot of uncertainty about moving any of the veterans and relying on the young guys. I think now that uncertainty is gone. This team will be fine if all of Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington are regulars. So if there is an opportunity to move out one of the others to improve the forwards, I think Treliving would be wise to pursue it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Do Flames fans think Treliving will go after Hayes this summer? 55 points in 71 games this season. Hayes and Gaudreau are good friends and played together the year Gaudreau scored 36g and 80 points at Boston College.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Do Flames fans think Treliving will go after Hayes this summer? 55 points in 71 games this season. Hayes and Gaudreau are good friends and played together the year Gaudreau scored 36g and 80 points at Boston College.

Based on the series and what people like Frolik said about size.. I think Hayes will be our #1 UFA target. We were in on him at trade deadline and the Johnny connection is there, but is that enough to get him to sign here? He'll have quite a few offers this summer I imagine.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The list of even semi-big name American UFAs who have signed with a Canadian team that didn't draft them in the last ten years is pretty much just Ryan Miller with Vancouver. I like Hayes and hope we take a run at him but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The list of even semi-big name American UFAs who have signed with a Canadian team that didn't draft them in the last ten years is pretty much just Ryan Miller with Vancouver. I like Hayes and hope we take a run at him but I wouldn't hold your breath.

To be fair. There's that Johnny connection.
Unless Johnny can't say enough bad things about Calgary :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

They'll take a run.
Then they'll turn once the price tag gets too high. Other teams need a guy like Hayes more than we do in theory, and will pay him so.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
So, what makes Yelesin so special? First and foremost, he’s a physical, right-handed defenseman coming off of a career-best 10-point season. Now, 10 points in 55 regular season games may not jump off the page — and zero points in 10 postseason games for Lokomotiv definitely doesn’t jump off the page — but there’s more to Yelesin than goals and assists. He’s a punishing player in his own zone who doesn’t shy away from taking the body.
Yelesin registered 188 hits this year. He led both his team and the KHL in hits by a significant margin. The second-highest hit total in the league belonged to teammate Nikita Cherepanov who finished the year with 128 hits. If that frequency of body contact on an international ice surface wasn’t eye-catching enough for NHL scouts and general managers, Yelesin also clocked a 102 mph slap shot at the KHL All-Star game on Jan. 19, 2019.

Should the Rangers be looking at Alexander Yelesin?

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Peters in a year end interview says he want to play Lindholm at centre next year. That would mean the Flames line RW and it would also mean bye-bye to a current centre to my way of thinking. Peters want to get faster and hopefully big and fast. So I'd have to say if they keep Neal (I think he can be better) and acquire two more top 9 forwards (that are big and can skate) it would be good.

Flames I see on the way out - Brodie, Jankowski, Frolik, Stone, Smith, Fantenberg and maybe Kylington. Two are UFA's and won't be re-signed. Two are young and could be an enticement along with another player to get one of those wingers back (Krieder, Zucker).

Reactions: Potty John

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I still don't get why Brodie is a sure thing to be traded. Nor why Treliving is about to further gut the defensive depth of the organization. Both would be mistakes. Moreover, there's a single AHL defencemen signed for next year in Nielsen. Hogstrom and Taormina are UFA's while Valiev and Healey are RFAs.

Stone is gone for sure if there's anyone willing to take him. Fantenberg and Prout are UFA's and neither are particularly good at anything. Doubt Hogstrom or Taormina come back. Valiev might not even be qualified; Healey almost definitely won'tbe. So what's left is:

Right side depth:
Brodie
Hamonic
Andersson
Yelsin?

Left side depth:
Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Nielsen

That's the entirety of the defensive depth for both the NHL and AHL for next season as of right now. That's all the defencemen in the entire organization. You need a lot more than seven viable NHL defencemen over the course of a season plus playoffs. Usually, you need about 10; which means Treliving has his work cut out for him in adding more defensive depth, not subtract what little he has. Thank goodness his terrible attempts at trade deadlines fell apart; Flames will need Kylington more than people realize.

Reactions: Janks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I still don't get why Brodie is a sure thing to be traded. Nor why Treliving is about to further gut the defensive depth of the organization. Both would be mistakes. Moreover, there's a single AHL defencemen signed for next year in Nielsen. Hogstrom and Taormina are UFA's while Valiev and Healey are RFAs.

Stone is gone for sure if there's anyone willing to take him. Fantenberg and Prout are UFA's and neither are particularly good at anything. Doubt Hogstrom or Taormina come back. Valiev might not even be qualified; Healey almost definitely won'tbe. So what's left is:

Right side depth:
Brodie
Hamonic
Andersson
Yelsin?

Left side depth:
Giordano
Hanifin
Valimaki
Kylington
Nielsen

That's the entirety of the defensive depth for both the NHL and AHL for next season as of right now. That's all the defencemen in the entire organization. You need a lot more than seven viable NHL defencemen over the course of a season plus playoffs. Usually, you need about 10; which means Treliving has his work cut out for him in adding more defensive depth, not subtract what little he has. Thank goodness his terrible attempts at trade deadlines fell apart; Flames will need Kylington more than people realize.

I don't think people realize that Andersson never got top pairing minutes either. Look at his game logs when he played with Gio, and I can't recall one game above 20 minutes for him. Its not a step to say he can play second pairing minutes next year, but Brodie isn't just replaceable currently either. I think it would be smarter to move Hammer imo if we have to move one of them.

As for Kylington, meh? If they re-sign fanta, he's the 5th LHD, and honestly that is the easiest type of depth to get. If kylington cannot get regular minutes, its probably best to move him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kylington is still waver exempt next season. Fantenberg is not. You can only carry so many bodies on the NHL roster at the time so need you NHL depth basically waiting in the AHL. Kylington would be the first in line when injuries strike, which they almost certainly will. He'd get regular minutes in the AHL, although he certainly wouldn't be happy about it but such is the life of NHL prospects.

You're right about Andersson though. Even when Brodie was "demoted" to the third pairing, he still played over 20 minutes, usually only second to Giordano. And Andersson was heavily sheltered for the most part, so yeah, I don't see how the team would just pencil him in on the top pairing immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad