Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
And what has kylington proven exactly that he can hit that ceiling? He did ok with bottom pairing minutes but had meh advanced stats and was outplayed by a deadline acquisition in every aspect but offense. And there is no chance he beats out any of our lhd when we are healthy.

Speaking of vet talent, most of this board wants hamonic long-term over Brodie. Asset management wise, that’s a poor choice imo for a number of reasons I’ve already explained.

Kylington at least is a controlled asset for a while. Brodie though could be gone after next season. Asset management from that perspective is more important imo.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Under trades I would like to see would be a Kapanen + a pick or prospect for Hamonic or Brodie..I think that Kapanen would add pure speed with some skill and a little edge to the Tkachuk/Backlund line or the Gaudreau/Monahan line

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Under trades I would like to see would be a Kapanen + a pick or prospect for Hamonic or Brodie..I think that Kapanen would add pure speed with some skill and a little edge to the Tkachuk/Backlund line or the Gaudreau/Monahan line

Kapanen + Kadri

for

Brodie + Jankowski/Futures

Was something discussed on the main boards a while back. To me, it seems like a good trade for both sides, but that's just me I guess.

FuffaloBucker

Feb 27, 2019
Think Philly is a good trade partner. What about something like Gaudreau+Jankowski+something (1st Rounder???) for Patrick+Konecny

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Think Philly is a good trade partner. What about something like Gaudreau+Jankowski+something (1st Rounder???) for Patrick+Konecny

Lol.
We're adding to Gaudreau to get a couple guys who combined last year scored less points.

FuffaloBucker

Feb 27, 2019
Lol.
We're adding to Gaudreau to get a couple guys who combined last year scored less points.
Maybe not a first, but it's not unreasonable to think it might need a sweetener.

Kakko hasn't scored any points in the NHL this year you think we can get him from the Rangers for free? Or is that just a flawed way to think?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe not a first, but it's not unreasonable to think it might need a sweetener.

Kakko hasn't scored any points in the NHL this year you think we can get him from the Rangers for free? Or is that just a flawed way to think?

Patrick is from a weak draft class, and potential doesn't equate to a star; because neither him nor Konecy have shown they have star caliber in them.
Is Philly trading Sean Couturier for Sam Reinhart?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

The coffee, cream and sweetener is Gaudreau...the balancer would be a bad salary coming back with Patrick and Konecy

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
This core deserves one more shot, as this year seemed different than the prior two playoffs they've made. This was a lot of players first go in the playoffs and Peters, so we'll do some tinkering and see what happens next year, but you have to think certain players will be taking this playoff stomping seriously and actually try to improve some things this off-season.

If we don't improve in the playoffs next year I could see Trei gone and maybe some of the core traded.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hathaway might be gone too.

The right side needs a lot of help. There isn't a lot of help in free agency.

If Lindholm is playing more centre next season, the right side goes from needing help to needing life support.

I'd like him back but he's probably gonna get more from some other team than I want 4th liner to get

I don't think a team that's starved for grit will let Hathaway go so easily

Yep, the thought had crossed my mind. I was actually just as intrigued with what happens with Hathaway as I was the contract situation for Rittich, Bennett and Tkachuk. I think we should be keeping Hathaway. He reminds me of Ferland lite, but less offense and more defensive acumen.

Frolik I think being gone is a foregone conclusion.

I'm not sure about Smith yet, but I think salary cap will be more important this season than the talent of the goal tending hitting the market. This is why I think Bob/Varly and a few of those guys are out.

A more random one, I think both Quine and Lazar gets another two way contract with us.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hathaway will want a fairly big raise and as much as I like him I'm guessing he won't be back. The Flames have more than a few that can replace his pizzazz on the 4 line on the farm. Rychel, Lazar, Robinson, Lomberg to name a few.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Hathaway will want a fairly big raise and as much as I like him I'm guessing he won't be back. The Flames have more than a few that can replace his pizzazz on the 4 line on the farm. Rychel, Lazar, Robinson, Lomberg to name a few.

Lazar had a pretty good year in the A.. He deserves to get a look and still has higher upside than Hathaway.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Kapanen + Kadri

for

Brodie + Jankowski/Futures

Was something discussed on the main boards a while back. To me, it seems like a good trade for both sides, but that's just me I guess.
Could the Leafs cap crunch force them to do something crazy like that?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could the Leafs cap crunch force them to do something crazy like that?

They're going to be paying 3 players 33+ million.
They have 1 top 4D signed past this year.

If the Leafs get beat tonight, this is going to be an ugly couple years as they figure out this cap. For all of his issues, Brodie would be in the top 2 best defensive D on the Leafs next year with their projected lineup.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would bet money on Simmonds being a Flame next year for better or worse.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hathaway is in a Bouma like situation. 4th liner that PK's well and is gritty with a career year likely due to a high shooting percentage. Tre learned his lesson the first time I hope.

I want Hathaway back, but the contract has to make sense.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I would bet money on Simmonds being a Flame next year for better or worse.
Based on? Simmonds was notably poor this year. Treliving will be raked over the coals if he ends up committing this team to both Neal and Simmonds on long-term deals.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't Simmonds refuse to waive to come to Calgary at the deadline?

Never heard that. Trade Frolik for futures. Sign Simmonds. It's likely a wash, but we get some grit on the downside and a player that can hit 50 points and 20 goals on the upside. Can't see Wayne costing more than $4.5 - $5 million a year. Make it 3 x 5 and I think we make traction there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad