Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not much to add to the Flames side of this. Chabot is a hell of a player but superfluous here. Hamilton trade all day.

I think a more interesting question would be tank for McDavid vs trade for Hamilton. Build around the best player in the league with severely less cap space or push forward with Tkachuk, Hanifin, Lindholm and Valimaki.
------------------------------------------------------
Hamilton to the Oilers is interesting. He would have no Chara/Gio/Slavin safety net. The best they would've had is Sekera :DD

And with the Flames reportedly shopping him halfway into his second season here, I wonder just how much of a well-documented sideshow he would've been in Edmonton.

If he was there, Chiarelli wouldn't feel the need to upstage Treliving on McDavid day with the Reinhart trade and there's probably no Hall trade either.

They might've been cup contenders the following season but I think that locker room would be an utter mess and it would've come crashing down the following year

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Looking at the Faulk trade, would we be happy, of got the same for Brodie. Brodie signs a contract.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Treliving salvaging the trade by flipping Hamilton for Lindholm and miscellaneous makes me happy with the way it turned out. Otherwise in hindsight, I would have preferred keeping the picks. Any of Connor, Barzal, Boeser, or Chabot would have been phenomenal additions plus two more second rounders. And they probably would have kept Ferland and perhaps not signed Brouwer or Neal too. Gulutzan would still have been a disaster though.

Hamilton to the Oilers wouldn't have been a big deal at all. Powerplay boost perhaps but Schultz 2.0 most likely. They have no Giordano's to cover for his deficiencies. They still trade Hall I think but probably not for Larsson.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hamilton deal was ok

Hamonic was the one he f***ed up
Overpaid for an average dman

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Here we ducking go.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik
Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Frolik/Rieder/Quine

Trade Jankowski for a 4th

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Here we ducking go.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik
Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Frolik/Rieder/Quine

Trade Jankowski for a 4th

I'd tweak that a bit personally, rather consider Dube or Bennett on the top than Czarnik, and have Frolik on the third line with Backlund cause their chemistry is unreal. But it's an interesting look for sure. Not that it really matters but Bennett has more RW experience than Tkachuk at this point in the NHL I think lol.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Worth noting we are presently $658,375 over the cap with Tkachuk signed. Quine going down would make us compliant (as well as a few other options). Wonder if we see a trade though.

I think we'll keep Toby Reider too. The coach seems to like him. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Andy MacDonald on a 1 year vet min, that'll start in the AHL.
I think the most practical is sending Dube and Quine down (essentially giving Stockton a top line :laugh:).

We'd be cap compliant that way, carrying an extra F and extra D.

I told you guys, what seems like months ago, that this team was perfectly fine :laugh:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Worth noting we are presently $658,375 over the cap with Tkachuk signed. Quine going down would make us compliant (as well as a few other options). Wonder if we see a trade though.

I think we will see a trade, one of Brodie(Winnipeg?) Or Frolik are gone.

Out of Winnipeg, I'd target Jack Roslovic, I think he is ready to take the next step and he would allow us to have lines like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jack Roslovic
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Eat Bread-Backlund-Frolik
Lucic-Ryan-?

This is expecting Jankowski is traded or on the 4th line. Same thing about Frolik, he is tarded or on that line.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No he isn't, players don't got on LTIR until relief is needed. We wouldn't need relief until Oct. 1. Well paper Kylington down to the AHL, place Vali on LTIR and then recall Kylington

I honestly thought he was, if he is not, than problem solved.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think we will see a trade, one of Brodie(Winnipeg?) Or Frolik are gone.

As interested in potential Brodie returns as I am, I'd rather just trade Frolik at this point. I think we are a better team with TJ still (and I'm still attached, having watched his entire career...)

Frolik for a D prospect or something. Nothing spectacular but I doubt we will get much from him this time of year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames will be cap compliant at the start of the reg season without having to send anyone down to Stockton. They will exceed the cap by approximately $.7m but that will be covered by Valimaki being on LTIR.
The only reason they will need to send anyone down is if the sign any PTOs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
As interested in potential Brodie returns as I am, I'd rather just trade Frolik at this point. I think we are a better team with TJ still (and I'm still attached, having watched his entire career...)

Frolik for a D prospect or something. Nothing spectacular but I doubt we will get much from him this time of year.

When talking about Brodie, we have to in to consider that is he a UFA at the end of the year and he can walk.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames will be cap compliant at the start of the reg season without having to send anyone down to Stockton. They will exceed the cap by approximately $.7m but that will be covered by Valimaki being on LTIR.
The only reason they will need to send anyone down is if the sign any PTOs.
If you use LTIR before the season you lose certain benefits. It's better to do it afterwards

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
When talking about Brodie, we have to in to consider that is he a UFA at the end of the year and he can walk.

Yeah, I think that's a discussion for the deadline though.

Do we think he can help us get a round or two farther than we would without him? Playoff experience is still a valuable commodity. We arent cup contenders but getting the young guys that gritty experience is valuable.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, I think that's a discussion for the deadline though.

Do we think he can help us get a round or two farther than we would without him? Playoff experience is still a valuable commodity. We arent cup contenders but getting the young guys that gritty experience is valuable.

Very true, this has been interesting off season for the Flames and the regular season is going to be the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig