Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just realized something, AZ is on a 1 year ELC. I assume it doesn't slide.

If that's the case, he's essentially on the same contract as Talbot. If that's the case, then I don't think Talbot was ever considered a long term plan unless AZ is a complete failure (which doesn't look like that's the case).

Since AZ is doing great he's probably just going to be a show case for the entire season.

Gilles is essentially in the same boat as AZ. I think we are already nearing the point of cutting ties.

Two of the following guys are gonna be gone after this season:

- Talbot
- AZ
- Gilles

I think Gille's name is already penned in for the first guy. It's just AZ vs Talbot now and AZ looks like he's going to get his name penned in as the survivor within a few months.
I really don't think Treliving is stupid enough to pencil anything in 9+ months in the future.

Especially since the only goaltender in the entire organization signed for next season is Rittich.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really don't think Treliving is stupid enough to pencil anything in 9+ months in the future.

Especially since the only goaltender in the entire organization signed for next season is Rittich.

Personally, I think Treliving pencils in things 9-19 months in advance. The dude is insanely thorough. However, I do believe that when the time comes he looks over his pencil projections then decides whether to put it in pen. It is at this point where I think Treliving is the most business like in his interpretations. I think Rittich is essentially penned in. But if he falters 6 months in... no one is safe and anything can happen.

Hartley was penciled in for another season until it was decided to strike him out with pen with haste and immediately look for a replacement. Raymond was penciled in for 3 seasons until he was stricken off in pen. Neal seemed like he was penned out months ago. etc.

I think Treliving for goalies is looking at something like this in pencil:

- Acquire goalie A
- Acquire goalie B
- If keep Gilles, promote?
- If keep AZ, promote?
- If keep Talbot, trade who?
- Acquire goalie C
- Acquire goalie D
- Acquire goalie E

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Of course Zagidulin is auditioning for a back-up role here. Talbot isn't a sure thing and if he struggles early in the season, he'll get waived just as swiftly as Lack was

This is our last shot with the current group before a major anticipated shake-up in the summer. Zagidulin was brought in to reinforce the goaltending position now and in the future

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We will need to make room for Tkachuk capwise, who do you think will be moved to make room for him?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We will need to make room for Tkachuk capwise, who do you think will be moved to make room for him?
Depends on the contract and how much space needs to be cleared. We can currently go up to $8m. If 500k is enough to clear, maybe we see Czarnik moved. If ~900k is needed, maybe Jankowski. If more than that, we're looking at Frolik. The Czarnik/Janko examples are based on them getting a pick/league minimum player in return.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Depends on the contract and how much space needs to be cleared. We can currently go up to $8m. If 500k is enough to clear, maybe we see Czarnik moved. If ~900k is needed, maybe Jankowski. If more than that, we're looking at Frolik. The Czarnik/Janko examples are based on them getting a pick/league minimum player in return.

How can we go to $8 million, when we have about $6.3 million in cap space.

Calgary Flames - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How can we go to $8 million, when we have about $6.3 million in cap space.

Calgary Flames - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Just because cap friendly says a number, doesn't make it gospel. It about using guys with lesser salaries, having a 22 man roster and taking advantage of LTIR overage.

It is not ideal with Kylington in the AHL and running with 22 bodies, but it would be a short term solution until a trade can be worked out for Frolik

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-22_10-8-35.png
    upload_2019-9-22_10-8-35.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Probably guilty of reading too much into it, but TJ Brodie’s presence in Wpg tonight makes one wonder if Calgary isn’t preparing for a top four (or more) without him.
Possible 3rd pairings: Brodie-Stone, Kylington-Brodie, MacDonald-Brodie.
Or Kylington-Stone, MacDonald-Stone...

Darren Haynes Twitter, I tried to post the Twitter but for some reason could not.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Probably guilty of reading too much into it, but TJ Brodie’s presence in Wpg tonight makes one wonder if Calgary isn’t preparing for a top four (or more) without him.
Possible 3rd pairings: Brodie-Stone, Kylington-Brodie, MacDonald-Brodie.
Or Kylington-Stone, MacDonald-Stone...

Darren Haynes Twitter, I tried to post the Twitter but for some reason could not.

Oh god this song and dance again. You’d think our injuries to the backend would calm the storm, but evidently that hasn’t happened.

Feel really crappy for Brodie. Fans and media running you out of town 24/7 after being a solid pro for half a decade. Flames will regret it big time if they get a shitty return for him.

Reactions: Calculon

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oh god this song and dance again...

Feel really crappy for Brodie. Fans and media running you out of town 24/7 after being a solid pro for half a decade. Flames will regret it big time if they get a ****ty return for him.

If the Kadri deal is an indication, Treliving is not going to get a shitty return on Brodie. It's possible Treliving is also still looking into a move for Brodie, but even if Brodie is not moved, I think he keeps both contract and trades separate to maintain leverage. He's waiting on the other side to blink first.

Reactions: viper0220

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oh god this song and dance again. You’d think our injuries to the backend would calm the storm, but evidently that hasn’t happened.

Feel really crappy for Brodie. Fans and media running you out of town 24/7 after being a solid pro for half a decade. Flames will regret it big time if they get a ****ty return for him.

No worry, it's more likely Brodie will leave on his own and everyone is either pissed off or happy.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No worry, it's more likely Brodie will leave on his own and everyone is either pissed off or happy.

I wouldn’t blame him. I certainly wouldn’t want to put up with the constant crap of being the whipping boy every season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well, that's a dumb idea by Haynes. Bit surprising.

It's been what, two years since the Flames had a tire fire for a bottom pairing? So yeah, trade Brodie and let's go back to that. Those were fun times. And then when Hamonic misses the inevitable 10 to 15 games, Stone or MacDonald can play top four minutes. That won't lead to any kind of problems, no, none at all.

Treating Brodie as a cap dump has got to be the dumbest part of the off season, especially since they're so many better ways to clear up space. Waive Czarnik, put Valimaki on IR and that's over 8M right there. Or just trade Frolik for ~2M cap dump.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

It's been what, two years since the Flames had a tire fire for a bottom pairing? So yeah, trade Brodie and let's go back to that. Those were fun times. And then when Hamonic misses the inevitable 10 to 15 games, Stone or MacDonald can play top four minutes. That won't lead to any kind of problems, no, none at all.

Treating Brodie as a cap dump has got to be the dumbest part of the off season, especially since they're so many better ways to clear up space. Waive Czarnik, put Valimaki on IR and that's over 8M right there. Or just trade Frolik for ~2M cap dump.

How do you know, that Brodie is going to be traded for a cap dump? If Brad Trevling trades, Brodie, than he is going get a D back in a trade(I think Brad knows that injuries happen and he has slowly build up the Flames backend), if it happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The quality of Haynes work has dropped since he went to The Athletic. Before he put stuff out at his own pace and I think he worried more about quality than quantity, even with his social media presence. Now it seems like the opposite is true, he's been saying more and more questionable things, probably to drive traffic to The Athletic.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In 2015, would you guys rather have drafted Chabot (based on rumors we wanted him) and additional guys in the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round? Or would you have still preferred to trade for Dougie as a win now type move? Assume we still get Tkachuk in the 2016 draft.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
In 2015, would you guys rather have drafted Chabot (based on rumors we wanted him) and additional guys in the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round? Or would you have still preferred to trade for Dougie as a win now type move? Assume we still get Tkachuk in the 2016 draft.
No, because without that move, Edmonton likely has Hamilton, and we certainly don't have Hanifin and Lindholm. Although, we may have Chabot and Ferland, there may have been a very slim chance at keeping Fox regardrless.

I'm content with the way the cookie crumbled.

Reactions: viper0220 and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No, because without that move, Edmonton likely has Hamilton, and we certainly don't have Hanifin and Lindholm. Although, we may have Chabot and Ferland, there may have been a very slim chance at keeping Fox regardrless.

I'm content with the way the cookie crumbled.

Oo, I hadn't thought of it that way. They would have Hamilton, no Reinhart fiasco and wouldn't have moved Hall. I agree with you.

Brodie might not have cratered though. We'd also possibly have an extra piece like JFK or Sprong who would have helped us not toy around with Lazar.

Kinda crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig