Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If that's true, it sounds like he was trying to blindside Zucker before his NTC kicked in the following season. Kind of a chicken-shit thing to do

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If that's true, it sounds like he was trying to blindside Zucker before his NTC kicked in the following season. Kind of a chicken-**** thing to do

You should read the rest of the Fenton article if you get the chance. Dude was a bit wacko based on internal reports from Minny.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The more I think about it Luna's comment seems to tie it together. It leans more like the only reason why we didn't file paper work (didn't bother) and why Treliving was pissed off at something internal if Fenton wasn't going to finish off the deal from his side.
Especially since then it could still be reported it was something the Flames did in leaking the rumours. Probably what would come from the Minnesota brass at the time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any chance Brodie is on the market and if so what would the Flames be looking for?

I know he plays the right side, but trying to see what the Devils options are for a LD opposite Subban.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Another RHD.

Not sure if he would interest the Flames, but Devils would probably be willing to part with Vatanen. Also a UFA at years end although his cap hit is ~200k more than Brodie's.

Subban makes him redundant stylistically and having Severson as well creates a log jam.

Not sure what the Flames other needs are, but Devils could possibly part with Coleman, Zacha, and Wood and expand the deal a bit.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Jets have some cap space now, maybe Hamonic can go home. Who is coming to the Flames?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jets have some cap space now, maybe Hamonic can go home. Who is coming to the Flames?
So we're potentially signing Andrew MacDonald, Kylington has disappointed and you think it's time to trade a defenseman.......

Reactions: DFF

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Is Buff retiring?

If he’s thinking about retirement I guarantee you he looks like this or worse

2E0E2A1E-BB0D-46A0-8B0E-B9A91862740C.jpeg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just did the math, if we send down Kylington, Dube & Quine, we will have $885,791 w/ a 22 man roster. This includes Valimaki. So unless the Flames intend to use Summer LTIR, no potential waiver claim will exceed that amount, if they do decide to use summer LTIR, they could go up to $1,779,957. I believe of the guys I listed that I think would be better than MacDonald, only Djoos and Hickey makes too much to exceed 885k and only Hickey exceeds the higher threshold.

As much as I like Djoos, we have the second lowest waiver priority, so I think it is a fair assumption he is taken before us. What I would do to try and maximize chances, is put in claims on both Forsling & Biega. We may get neither, we may get both or we may get 1. But at least it's an effort to improve on McDonald.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Me too, but what are the odds that 28 teams pass on him at 1.25m? If we put in a claim and don't get him, we are stuck with MacDonald.
Odd is good, waiver claim is rare
Also they must have shopped him with no taker before waiving him

How do we get stuck with McDonald...did we sign him?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Odd is good, waiver claim is rare
Also they must have shopped him with no taker before waiving him

How do we get stuck with McDonald...did we sign him?
There are always some and he is far and away the best players on waivers.

No, he hasn't been signed yet, but we need another defenseman, like it or not he's better to have as a call-up than guys like Valiev, Nielsen and Davidson.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Sprong has never put it together professionally. I'm a big Pens fan too, so I've seen a decent amount of him. For every good play he makes, he makes 3 poor ones. If we were a team in say, Ottawas position, maybe I'd give him a shot. But he wouldn't do anything for us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The silence around MacDonald is interesting (concerning). They're either still negotiating (which would be tragic) or they're waiting on a waiver claim (or less likely, a trade). My guess, they'll put in a claim today or tomorrow and if it doesn't go through, they'll sign MacDonald. Kylington is still the best option but a waiver claim, any waiver claim, would be better than MacDonald.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad