Speculation: Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
No he isn't, players don't got on LTIR until relief is needed. We wouldn't need relief until Oct. 1. Well paper Kylington down to the AHL, place Vali on LTIR and then recall Kylington

He is on Capfriendly as you noted, and the 650K number or whatever was based on cap friendly saying he would be day 1 I believe. 23 man roster with Quine and Dube up, Stone and Kylington on D.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He is on Capfriendly as you noted, and the 650K number or whatever was based on cap friendly saying he would be day 1 I believe. 23 man roster with Quine and Dube up, Stone and Kylington on D.

giphy.gif

Edit: What the, is it just me or does this dude look like Paul Byron?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not the way Cap Friendly is calculating it I believe. I think they are already backing out that number.

I think Cap Friendly in the case of Valimaki, is sticking him on IR but it doesn't reflect the 'extra' cap space we would gain by doing so.

For example if you make a custom Flames with Valimaki off IR, the caphit is the same for both teams.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Que the secret deal that Treliving already has in his back pocket for Frolik..... now that Chucky has signed ;)
I'd rather that Tree trade Frolik now than wait until the trade deadline to do it, or worse yet... let Frolik walk at the end of the year and the Flames get nothing.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Que the secret deal that Treliving already has in his back pocket for Frolik..... now that Chucky has signed ;)
I'd rather that Tree trade Frolik now than wait until the trade deadline to do it, or worse yet... let Frolik walk at the end of the year and the Flames get nothing.

Massive Brodie trade incoming as well. Clearly redundant playing only 22 minutes a night at this point :P

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I think you absolutely keep Frolik as a rental and then let him walk for nothing. If not we’re probably going to be looking to spend assets for a middle 6 winger at the deadline anyway

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
To be totally honest, I wouldn’t hate keeping Frolik for the playoffs. He brings good 2 way play, isn’t killing us cap wise and has experience

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At this point you would have to think any Frolik trade would depend how disgruntled he actually is with Peters and the fact we tried to trade him last year at the deadline.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Didn't Frolik nix the trade to Minnesota at the deadline last year? If he was that unhappy here he'd accept the trade, I guess.
No, all reports have said the Wild were not on his no-trade list.

No one seems to know why the deal fell through. Wild reports say it fell apart on our side, but reports on our end were that Tre was "white hot". The only part both sides agree on is that it wasn't Frolik.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No, all reports have said the Wild were not on his no-trade list.

No one seems to know why the deal fell through. Wild reports say it fell apart on our side, but reports on our end were that Tre was "white hot". The only part both sides agree on is that it wasn't Frolik.

I think one of the rumors with the most detail, was that it had to do with some weird issue on Calgary's side which resulted in us not filing some type of paper work at all?

Could also be the league did something to mess up the trade. Perhaps it had some complex retention factors or conditional picks. Hard to know.

That doesn't make sense though. Frolik + 1st for Zucker isn't even as egregious as some of Fenton's other moves.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think one of the rumors with the most detail, was that it had to do with some weird issue on Calgary's side which resulted in us not filing some type of paper work at all?

That doesn't make sense though. Frolik + 1st for Zucker isn't even as egregious as some of Fenton's other moves.

Was it ever confirmed that that was the whole scope of the deal though?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Was it ever confirmed that that was the whole scope of the deal though?

NHL Rumor Roundup: Jason Zucker's days with Wild numbered after near-trade to Flames

Rumors of Frolik + pick swirled. Somewhere else, it was mentioned the pick was a 1st because it was rumored to be a high draft pick and we didn't have a 2nd.
Frolik + Bennett for Zucker was also discussed somewhere.

HockeyBuzz.com - Todd Cordell - On Zucker trade talks, Frolik, and swapping bad contracts

In the end, there was some issue and no paperwork was filed to the central registry at all. The Wild seemed to point fingers at Calgary for the side that didn't file the paperwork.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To me that reads that there was some idea of what a deal would be but no concrete details about it.

Calgary having a paperwork issue could be many things, including an issue with a term or condition of the trade that the league wanted them to revise.

I am not saying you’re wrong, just providing what I feel is another plausible reason.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
To me that reads that there was some idea of what a deal would be but no concrete details about it.

Calgary having a paperwork issue could be many things, including an issue with a term or condition of the trade that the league wanted them to revise.

I am not saying you’re wrong, just providing what I feel is another plausible reason.

Treliving has never really tinkered with weird terms and conditions like a Wilson or Armstrong though. Fenton was a simpleton that probably would rather get ripped off than suffer a weird condition on his trade. Plus, they'd essentially have to file something that the league disagrees upon for them to have to the league tell them to try and tinker the trade to be less egregious. Sorry bud, I disagree with your not really disagreement.

All we know is that there was an issue and no paperwork was filed. Why? We don't know. But the deal being rejected because of weird conditions doesn't seem to make sense from a deductive standpoint. I don't think it's a plausible scenario.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Treliving has never really tinkered with weird terms and conditions like a Wilson or Armstrong though. Fenton was a simpleton that probably would rather get ripped off than suffer a weird condition on his trade. Plus, they'd essentially have to file something that the league disagrees upon for them to have to the league tell them to try and tinker the trade to be less egregious. Sorry bud, I disagree with your not really disagreement.

All we know is that there was an issue and no paperwork was filed. Why? We don't know. But the deal being rejected because of weird conditions doesn't seem to make sense from a deductive standpoint. I don't think it's a plausible scenario.

The issue is you’ve got to provide some other reasonable explanation why the Flames would fail to file with paperwork with the league. Maybe their fax machine was broken

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After Fenton was fired, there was a piece done about him and one of the things he was accused of doing was pulling the plug on deals if any rumors emerged from the other side. Perhaps this is what happened? It's about the only thing I can think of that would leave Tre pissed off and it being a "problem" on our side.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The issue is you’ve got to provide some other reasonable explanation why the Flames would fail to file with paperwork with the league. Maybe their fax machine was broken

I'm pretty sure I read something that said they can email central registry now...

After Fenton was fired, there was a piece done about him and one of the things he was accused of doing was pulling the plug on deals if any rumors emerged from the other side. Perhaps this is what happened? It's about the only thing I can think of that would leave Tre pissed off and it being a "problem" on our side.

That's possible.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This kind of scenario makes sense to me. It would make more sense that Treliving would be 'white hot' if something like this unfolded.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This kind of scenario makes sense to me. It would make more sense that Treliving would be 'white hot' if something like this unfolded.

The more I think about it Luna's comment seems to tie it together. It leans more like the only reason why we didn't file paper work (didn't bother) and why Treliving was pissed off at something internal if Fenton wasn't going to finish off the deal from his side.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When I first read it, my thought was "this has to be the Zucker deal", it is the only explanation that checks all the boxes, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad