Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He's listed as a center but I have no idea what he played last year.
You definitely might not worry about Granlund if you can nab him.

Suter definitely played C last season, mainly between Debrincat and Kane. I like the player, but Granlund is easily better in all areas of the game, so it would just depend on the price difference. The two of them had identical numbers last year, one player with two wingers going over a point-per-game. I'm afraid that Suter could struggle in a different situation and I think the Hawks are probably anticipating the return of Kirby Dach full-time next year and don't believe Suter will be worth what he's asking based on his role going forward.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He's also 25 and fits this younger push nicely. I would role the dice on him no doubt. I think this could be a gift. 25 year old 2 way utility center/winger who hopefully has more upside/development to go.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN

In a non-front line role, Ryan Getzlaf would make a lot of sense. Adds an element Poile is building around and exudes leadership who would not only back Josi’s reign, but be a vocal leader in the room that others cannot be due to his Cup ring and international experience.

I’m all for bringing in Pius Suter to replace Jarnkrok, but Getzlaf is a major upgrade over Brad Richardson.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I never loathed Getzlaf like I do Perry but, Getz is done. I would rather have Bonino back.

If we are going with a youth movement/retool, let’s just stop with the vet signings already. We have guys who can replace Calle already on the squad.

I am fine letting Granland walk, let Haula come back a 2 x 2-2.5 deal and call it a day.

And does anyone remember the last Hawks FA we signed who look sooo good and was an utter flop…o_O

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

In a non-front line role, Ryan Getzlaf would make a lot of sense. Adds an element Poile is building around and exudes leadership who would not only back Josi’s reign, but be a vocal leader in the room that others cannot be due to his Cup ring and international experience.

I’m all for bringing in Pius Suter to replace Jarnkrok, but Getzlaf is a major upgrade over Brad Richardson.

I don't have anything against Getzlaf and he probably would be a good influence on the youngsters but can he actually offer anything on the ice?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Pass on Getzlaf. His time is over. Whatever growing pains we'd have with Glass, I'll take those. But guys like Bonino, I think he was pretty solid last season, and certainly solid for us. We don't need a Big Name guy. If a lesser guy like Bonino slid in at the Right Price, and was still more effective, I think that helps us more.

Let's build our own New Voices in the room. Maybe Getzlaf comes in with leadership, but... if it's only for 1 year... is that really all that useful? Everybody defers to this Grizzled Veteran for a year? Naw, let's let our kids step up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Davies and Harpur back. Harpur on a 1 way deal.
Sounds right to me. Harpur looked like an NHLer. Albeit a #6/7/8 guy. But those guys get 1-way deals. He isn't perfect, but he's better than Irwin/Weber to my eyes.

Davies needs some work. We should have a pretty deep D on Milwaukee with Farrance, Allard, Davies, Del Gaizo, presumably Healey; Davies can work on his game there. It was a very small sample, but to me I liked Farrance a lot more.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Pass on Getzlaf. His time is over. Whatever growing pains we'd have with Glass, I'll take those. But guys like Bonino, I think he was pretty solid last season, and certainly solid for us. We don't need a Big Name guy. If a lesser guy like Bonino slid in at the Right Price, and was still more effective, I think that helps us more.

Let's build our own New Voices in the room. Maybe Getzlaf comes in with leadership, but... if it's only for 1 year... is that really all that useful? Everybody defers to this Grizzled Veteran for a year? Naw, let's let our kids step up.
I wouldn’t mind Bonino back either to replace Richardson. He too brings a Cup ring, is playoff tested, and a known part of the Nashville leadership group of years past.

I do disagree with the thought that one year of leadership isn’t worth it and am willing to take a chance on Getzlaf being a productive player.

Remember, this wouldn’t be a Fisher type of addition for a playoff run, but a full season around our alleged 1A and 1B centers, Glass, Tomasino, and others who know and respect him and what he has accomplished and will watch how he approaches being a professional athlete daily on the bus, in team planes, at the hotel, etc. They will benefit from being able to talk through the game and scouting reports with him to add in a new angle, and will literally have him fighting alongside them on the ice.

I’m not saying this would be the best option, I’m not even arguing that the Preds should sign Getzlaf, but reports are that his elite vision and playmaking skills are still intact, as is his strength along the wall and at the net. He has lost a step, but many that watched him nightly point to the linemates he played beside as the reason for his drastic reduction in points.

My main concern with Getzlaf would be his back injury from last season and wanting to make sure he was 100% healthy. I think though if you are going to replace Richardson, I wouldn’t mind Getzlaf being added.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
So I guess we are going to carry 8 dmen
Josi - carrier
Ekholm - Fabbro
Harpur - Myers
Boro - benning
It's nitpicking but I think we'll see Ekholm and Carrier together. Ekholm was almost glowing when he talked about playing with Carrier, add that to the fact that Fabbro is better at ending the opponents possession than Carrier and you have much more balance in your top four.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn’t mind Bonino back either to replace Richardson. He too brings a Cup ring, is playoff tested, and a known part of the Nashville leadership group of years past.

I do disagree with the thought that one year of leadership isn’t worth it and am willing to take a chance on Getzlaf being a productive player.

Remember, this wouldn’t be a Fisher type of addition for a playoff run, but a full season around our alleged 1A and 1B centers, Glass, Tomasino, and others who know and respect him and what he has accomplished and will watch how he approaches being a professional athlete daily on the bus, in team planes, at the hotel, etc. They will benefit from being able to talk through the game and scouting reports with him to add in a new angle, and will literally have him fighting alongside them on the ice.

I’m not saying this would be the best option, I’m not even arguing that the Preds should sign Getzlaf, but reports are that his elite vision and playmaking skills are still intact, as is his strength along the wall and at the net. He has lost a step, but many that watched him nightly point to the linemates he played beside as the reason for his drastic reduction in points.

My main concern with Getzlaf would be his back injury from last season and wanting to make sure he was 100% healthy. I think though if you are going to replace Richardson, I wouldn’t mind Getzlaf being added.
My main concern with Getzlaf is really more psychological. He's a guy who basically stated he would always be in Anaheim, lifetime player, never leave, deep roots are sunk there, etc. So now that they are rebuilding and not looking to pay him big $ anymore, he's going to go somewhere else and give quite the same thing to another team? I'm not sure it's that easy. It'll be "weird" for him. We can't be looking at more than 1 year, and if that 1 year is partially chewed up by his adjustment to a new paradigm that he never envisioned, well, I question the usefulness. He's not part of The Family like Fisher was. If it's just mentorship on being a pro athlete on the bus/hotel/planes/etc then I sure hope our incumbent veterans and our Captain can also offer something on those fronts... Getzlaf's voice shouldn't be offering anything we don't already have on those fronts. :dunno:

Reactions: hockey diva

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
My main concern with Getzlaf is really more psychological. He's a guy who basically stated he would always be in Anaheim, lifetime player, never leave, deep roots are sunk there, etc. So now that they are rebuilding and not looking to pay him big $ anymore, he's going to go somewhere else and give quite the same thing to another team? I'm not sure it's that easy. It'll be "weird" for him. We can't be looking at more than 1 year, and if that 1 year is partially chewed up by his adjustment to a new paradigm that he never envisioned, well, I question the usefulness. He's not part of The Family like Fisher was. If it's just mentorship on being a pro athlete on the bus/hotel/planes/etc then I sure hope our incumbent veterans and our Captain can also offer something on those fronts... Getzlaf's voice shouldn't be offering anything we don't already have on those fronts. :dunno:
That’s where I’m not charting this up to be anything other than a rumor. Much like with Pekka, I can’t see Getzlaf in another jersey. Perry did it, but this is a different story IMO.

My guess is that if Anaheim doesn’t offer him a contract he’ll accept, that he’ll retire.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I have no problem with signing Getzlaf to play on the 4th line 8-10 minutes a night while getting PP time.

I've seen comments that he may or may not be good for the young kids. What about his influence on a guy like Johansen? Maybe he mentors him to play with the nasty night in and night out?

What about on the PP playing the left faceoff dot and distributing pucks to the slot or across the ice to Duchene sitting on the back door? If his passing is still elite and we struggle on the PP, why not take that chance?

I know people hate Perry around here but bring both of them in and play them on the 4th line. Play them with Olivier. Bump the Herd up to third-line duty. Stack the top 2 lines with whoever earns the time. You don't think that would be a tough team to play against on a nightly basis? Heck, give them third-line minutes with Kunin on the opposite wing. Let the kids be free on the second line (Tolvanen - Glass - Tomasino).

I know this is all a stretch but imagine having to play against a heavy team like that? Every other shift is either Getzlaf's or Sissons's line followed by the pressure of a scoring line or a line with youthful speed.

Sometimes you have to rock the boat. I'm tired of this team being nice.

Legwand Legacy

Jul 25, 2021
If Getzlaf can help the 4th line and bring leadership, I'm all for it. This roster is constructed to be a competitive team, we did not sign Duchene, Johansen, Josi, Sissons to massive contracts that go well into their 30's to be a bubble team or to start entering rebuild mode.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If Getzlaf can help the 4th line and bring leadership, I'm all for it. This roster is constructed to be a competitive team, we did not sign Duchene, Johansen, Josi, Sissons to massive contracts that go well into their 30's to be a bubble team or to start entering rebuild mode.
The problem with this statement is, what exactly is the Preds 4th line? If it's the beast line he damn sure can't help there. So if you look at the other bottom 6 center position he's going to be taking the place of a youngster. No thanks.

All in one breath some of you are talking about moving on to younger players but still entertaining the idea of Getzlaf?

Reactions: AnalogKid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad