Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Anyone know what the real dollar savings for the buyouts and Bonino trade amounts too? Did we pay Bonino his signing bonus already because if so that move probably doesn't save us much.

I'm really interested to see what happens in free agency or if we make any other moves now. My gut tells me we're going to sign Taylor Hall but who knows at this point.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If we're just trying to save money and try to re-tool it doesn't make sense trading Bonino with the picks we traded. He's not gonna make more money than Kunin next year, so there'll essentially be no savings at all. They would've just bought out Turris & Santini.

There has to be more going on in here.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Anyone know what the real dollar savings for the buyouts and Bonino trade amounts too? Did we pay Bonino his signing bonus already because if so that move probably doesn't save us much.

I'm really interested to see what happens in free agency or if we make any other moves now. My gut tells me we're going to sign Taylor Hall but who knows at this point.

If we pulled those moves to sign Taylor Hall that will be an enormous yikes. Hynes had better not be making this happen.

What is our team looking like right now?

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Tolvanen/Pitlick - Duchene - Kunin
Grimaldi - Sissons - Trenin
Jarnkrok - XXX - Watson

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro
Carrier - Tinordi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If we pulled those moves to sign Taylor Hall that will be an enormous yikes. Hynes had better not be making this happen.

What is our team looking like right now?

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Tolvanen/Pitlick - Duchene - Kunin
Grimaldi - Sissons - Trenin
Jarnkrok - XXX - Watson

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro
Carrier - Tinordi
I refuse to look at any part of that depth chart except the first line and the blueline. First line and blueline. First line and blueline.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Bonino's bonus was paid I think. He was only owed $2,700,000 this upcoming season. I don't know what we're gonna pay Kunin, but it's doubtful we're able to save a lot of money with that move.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I would have rather just traded Bonino for picks to Colorado or somebody and kept the 37th overall TBH...

Yep, we might not even compete next year and now may have to expose Kunin to Seattle. Would've made more sense to keep the picks and acquire more of them and continue to re-tool through the draft.

Of course, this theory might change completely come Friday.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Bonino's bonus was paid I think. He was only owed $2,700,000 this upcoming season. I don't know what we're gonna pay Kunin, but it's doubtful we're able to save a lot of money with that move.

If Kunin gets something like $1.5 mil we're saving something like $4 million dollars between the Turris and Santini buyouts and the Bonino trade. If that amount of money makes that big of a difference then we're in very rough financial shape, which is definitely possible. Still I feel like there has to be some other plan going on besides simply saving money but who knows.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
At the very least, this sends a message to the guys in that locker room that this is not enough and that the front office is not okay with & want to see some changes. Don't mind this kind of re-tooling, it must've been hard to move those deals in this financial climate.

I'm sensing some Hall & Hynes connection. We'll see on Friday.

TK

Feb 26, 2019

Actually, Bonino is owed 2.4 mil from what I see and yes, his bonus was paid. I'd be surprised if Kunin didn't get at least in the 1.75-2 million range. So yes, very little if any cash saved in the trade.

If Kunin gets something like $1.5 mil we're saving something like $4 million dollars between the Turris and Santini buyouts and the Bonino trade. If that amount of money makes that big of a difference then we're in very rough financial shape, which is definitely possible. Still I feel like there has to be some other plan going on besides simply saving money but who knows.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Preds save 4 million this year from the Turris buyout alone and 8 million total over the course of the buyout.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think with the coronavirus affecting so many things, we are making these moves to save money.

buckle up, everyone. gonna be a rough 3-4 years before our Russian goalie askarov comes as our savior.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Welp, with $10M in cap space I guess we can theoretically do just about anything now in free agency. All that remains to be seen I guess is whether we really will or not, or if sitting on the empty space and saving the money is really the endgame. I'm thinking like a 2-year $2.5M+$3.5M bridge for Kunin.

Or maybe there are some of those Tampa Bay cuts we can still add in here somewhere.

Forsberg ($6M) - Johansen ($8M)- Arvidsson ($4.25M)
Tolvanen ($0.894M) - Duchene ($8M) - Kunin (?RFA - $3M?)
Grimaldi ($2M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Trenin ($0.725M)
Jarnkrok ($2M) - Pitlick (?RFA - $0.700M)? - Watson ($1.5M)
McCarron ($0.700M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Ellis ($6.25M)
Ekholm ($3.75M) - Fabbro ($0.925M)
Tinordi ($700k) - Carrier ($0.733M)
spare D ($0.750M)

Rinne ($5M)
Saros ($1.5M)

Turris buyout ($2M)
Santini buyout ($0.04167M)

TOTAL: $71.33M
CAP SPACE = $10.165M

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Welp, with $10M in cap space I guess we can theoretically do just about anything now in free agency. All that remains to be seen I guess is whether we really will or not, or if sitting on the empty space and saving the money is really the endgame. I'm thinking like a 2-year $2.5M+$3.5M bridge for Kunin.

Or maybe there are some of those Tampa Bay cuts we can still add in here somewhere.

Forsberg ($6M) - Johansen ($8M)- Arvidsson ($4.25M)
Tolvanen ($0.894M) - Duchene ($8M) - Kunin (?RFA - $3M?)
Grimaldi ($2M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Trenin ($0.725M)
Jarnkrok ($2M) - Pitlick (?RFA - $0.700M)? - Watson ($1.5M)
McCarron ($0.700M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Ellis ($6.25M)
Ekholm ($3.75M) - Fabbro ($0.925M)
Tinordi ($700k) - Carrier ($0.733M)
spare D ($0.750M)

Rinne ($5M)
Saros ($1.5M)

Turris buyout ($2M)
Santini buyout ($0.04167M)

TOTAL: $71.33M
CAP SPACE = $10.165M

That roster just does not look very good to me. Maybe enough talent to be a fringe playoff team but I can't see them getting past the first round. Who knows though maybe they can rediscover the classic Predators identity of hustling enough to outplay their skill level.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That is one ugly forward lineup.
If you think about... Granlund, Smith, Turris, Bonino all out at once. Well. If you told me heading into last season that we were going to see those 4 gone in one fell swoop... 4 of our top-8 forwards... one half of what was supposed to be our top-8 forwards... all at a go... that would definitely have raised my eyebrows a little bit. Back at that stage I was wondering which one of Granlund and Smith we should keep...

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
We just don't have anything and if we try to acquire that something from free agency we will see the acquired player bust hilariously.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That roster just does not look very good to me. Maybe enough talent to be a fringe playoff team but I can't see them getting past the first round. Who knows though maybe they can rediscover the classic Predators identity of hustling enough to outplay their skill level.
I feel like we can't have seen everything yet. That lineup isn't a playoff lineup. I don't know, if the season starts in January, if NHL teams are even going to get full gate revenues for a while at the start of the season. But by July-August-whenever-playoffs-start... maybe gates will be back... in which case if you are forecasting that way, making the playoffs should matter a little more. :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you think about... Granlund, Smith, Turris, Bonino all out at once. Well. If you told me heading into last season that we were going to see those 4 gone in one fell swoop... 4 of our top-8 forwards... one half of what was supposed to be our top-8 forwards... all at a go... that would definitely have raised my eyebrows a little bit. Back at that stage I was wondering which one of Granlund and Smith we should keep...
In normal circumstances, 180+ points gone. 35-40ish back in from Kunin, but... :eek:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Scorched earth tactic, don't trade for a Stamkos or go after a Hall or a Pietrangelo, those would never end well anyways. Try to do well with drafting and get lucky.
Sell people like Sissons, Watson who are signed for eternity just because they're a decent 4th liner.
Poile just loves the familiarity of the team and this whole ordeal has been a deck chair change simulator for the last while.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Right now we're in a tweener situation but now is the time for our young guys to prove they have it. Tolvanen, Trenin, Tomasino, Pitlick. Those players need to hit for us to be anywhere close to a playoff team.

I'm okay with moving out our vets. I'm really only sad to see Bonino go maybe Smith too but he hasn't done shit in the playoffs his entire tenure.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Still don't know what the plan is. You trade Bonino to free up play time for Turris and get back assets. You move Turris to free up cap space and keep Bonino as your 3rd. Trading Bonino and buying out Turris is????

This says to me that someone really didn't like Turris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad