Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legwand Legacy

Jul 25, 2021
The problem with this statement is, what exactly is the Preds 4th line? If it's the beast line he damn sure can't help there. So if you look at the other bottom 6 center position he's going to be taking the place of a youngster. No thanks.

All in one breath some of you are talking about moving on to younger players but still entertaining the idea of Getzlaf?
Not sure if you're speaking in general but I didn't say I wanted to get younger, I said this team needs to keep competing because our cap structure isn't built to rebuild atm.

If Getzlaf can help a guy like Glass who is a project imo, or Tomasino then why not?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Not sure if you're speaking in general but I didn't say I wanted to get younger, I said this team needs to keep competing because our cap structure isn't built to rebuild atm.

If Getzlaf can help a guy like Glass who is a project imo, or Tomasino then why not?
It was a general you not a specific you.
Though there is a conversation to be had about the value of Getzlaf and at what price it'd be a long conversation to convince me there is any value worth any price.

Reactions: PredsV82

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think signing Getzlaf depends on, can we find common ground with Granlund and is Haula too expensive for our plans? If the answer to both of those are yes, then I'm fine with bringing in Getzlaf.

Getzlaf could excel in a role, where he doesn't have to be the Man anymore, he can be sheltered with easier minutes at 5-on-5 and he can have tons of PP time. He would also be a good presence to have around Johansen, Glass etc.

Pavelski, Perry. This type of experiments HAVE worked in the last few years.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Signing Getzlaf is idiotic. The guy is toast. He will be front of the line for whipping boy unless he signs for under a million. he was great 7 years ago.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's nitpicking but I think we'll see Ekholm and Carrier together. Ekholm was almost glowing when he talked about playing with Carrier, add that to the fact that Fabbro is better at ending the opponents possession than Carrier and you have much more balance in your top four.

Was more just pointing out that we will have 8 NHL dmen that could be playing. Carrier is the only one that is on a two-way contract but i believe he'd require waivers to send down so it'd be dumb to risk losing him. You're right though on the balance of the top 4. I'm really wondering where Myers falls into all this.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
So I guess we are going to carry 8 dmen
Josi - carrier
Ekholm - Fabbro
Harpur - Myers
Boro - benning
Left side is pretty much a lock with Harpur and Boro rotating, but that right side is going to be interesting. Those guys are going to be battling for ice time and I have absolutely no idea what the lineup looks like at the end of the year.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Left side is pretty much a lock with Harpur and Boro rotating, but that right side is going to be interesting. Those guys are going to be battling for ice time and I have absolutely no idea what the lineup looks like at the end of the year.

The way I see it, Carrier has locked down a top-four spot, so it's really up between Fabbro and Myers which one will take the remaining top-four spot.

Signing Getzlaf is idiotic. The guy is toast. He will be front of the line for whipping boy unless he signs for under a million. he was great 7 years ago.

Low risk, medium reward. Might be a sneaky good signing if we can't bring neither Granlund or Haula back.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If we sign Getzlaf it just confirms to me Poile doesn't really have a plan and we are just shuffling chairs on the Titanic and by chairs I mean vets until the kids are ready to play.

There are a lot younger options out there if we feel like we need to bring in a player upfront.

Forsberg Johansen Duchene
Cousins Glass Kunin
Grimaldi Tomasino Tolvanen/Olivier
Trenin Sissons Jeannot

Doesn't really look great on paper, but if it lets the kids develop, that's probably for the best unless we decide we are actually going for it. The thing I don't want to do is limit Glass or Tomasino's ice time.

Much more interested in bringing in a winger than a center at this point. I'd be far more interested in taking on a cap dump to hoard more picks but Poile has made it clear he isn't interested in that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we sign Getzlaf it just confirms to me Poile doesn't really have a plan and we are just shuffling chairs on the Titanic and by chairs I mean vets until the kids are ready to play.

There are a lot younger options out there if we feel like we need to bring in a player upfront.

Forsberg Johansen Duchene
Cousins Glass Kunin
Grimaldi Tomasino Tolvanen/Olivier
Trenin Sissons Jeannot

Doesn't really look great on paper, but if it lets the kids develop, that's probably for the best unless we decide we are actually going for it. The thing I don't want to do is limit Glass or Tomasino's ice time.

Much more interested in bringing in a winger than a center at this point. I'd be far more interested in taking on a cap dump to hoard more picks but Poile has made it clear he isn't interested in that.
Getlzaf would be a veteran character player that would also help an area we are weak in (PP). He'd fill the same type of role that a Haula, Richardson, etc... filled last season. We can't assume all of Glass, Kunin, Tomasino, Tolvanen, Olivier, Trenin, Jeannot are going to be able to consistently perform, if we want to be semi-competitive, and I don't think Poile has a ton of faith in Forsberg, Johansen, and Duchene as "leaders" for the younger group. Assuming we don't sign all three of Granlund, Haula, Getzlaf, there is still plenty of space in the lineup for Glass, Tomasino, and Tolvanen to get their time if they perform well.

For no plan, see Stan Bowman.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Like it or not signing Getzlaf or Haula signifies that one or both of Tomasino/Glass are going to be wingers. Having Getzlaf to center a line with some combo of young guys on the wings that we give easy matchups too doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. If we end up signing all of Granlund, Haula, Getzlaf, etc. then it becomes a problem but as of now I'm good with it.

Hopefully if we do sign Getzlaf they give him free reign to insult Joey and get him going at least.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sounds like we didn't qualify Josh Wilkins or Lukas Craggs at the deadline.

No real surprise. We did at least qualify Anthony Richard, in addition to all the expected RFAs, so that's good.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We're probably going to be $7M under the cap? I mean, Fleury only had 1 year left. Couldn't do much better than that as your veteran backup... for a 7th round pick. Well, it's not my money... :dunno:

Reactions: Pr0fet

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
We're probably going to be $7M under the cap? I mean, Fleury only had 1 year left. Couldn't do much better than that as your veteran backup... for a 7th round pick. Well, it's not my money... :dunno:
He had a 10 team no-trade list and there have been rumblings that he would retire for family reasons if he was traded from Vegas. I don't know if he was really an option for us.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He had a 10 team no-trade list and there have been rumblings that he would retire for family reasons if he was traded from Vegas. I don't know if he was really an option for us.
Yeah, I'm not really serious about that. We should be able to sign a reasonable backup for 1-yr/$2Mish, and it IS real money.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I see Holtby just joined the list of our potential backup candidates.

I don't think I watched him play even 1 game last season. So I'm not promoting this or anything. But worth checking out, relative to our need.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I see Holtby just joined the list of our potential backup candidates.

I don't think I watched him play even 1 game last season. So I'm not promoting this or anything. But worth checking out, relative to our need.
Just saw he was bought out. I’d take a flier on him but his performance over the past two seasons was at best on par with rinnes so don’t expect greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad