Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kopitar is another one that I feel like people can sometimes overlook. Just cracked 1k points himself.

Anze Kopitar.
Sasha Barkov is not on a lot of peoples' top 7 centres lists on this forum.
In his prime a guy like Ryan Getzlaf was not appreciated as he should have been.

In reality, my actual point is that most teams don't get fortunate enough to get a McDavid/Crosby/Malkin/Matthews type centre; but, what you need from your centre is to dominate matchups while also producing at a high level.

Sean Monahan has been a +50% xG% three times in his career. Three time! This is a guy who scores 30 goals a season, how TF is the guy a net negative expected goal player, while also getting fed prime minutes with the best player on our team?

Like, you can't win with that. I'm sorry, you just can't.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don’t want Kuznetsov. Has taken a step back in production and on ice play, topped off with some head-scratching decisions off the ice. Yes, probably better than Monahan and as good as Lindholm, but he is the wrong kind of guy to bring in. If he continues on this path, he’ll soon be in the KHL.
I don't think he'd work out here because the Flames team environment is likely just as toxic and immature as the Caps one. But without Kuznetsov stepping up the way he did, the Caps don't win the cup in 2018. This idea posted above that he's just along for the ride in Washington is absolutely hilarious. He'll end up on one of the Florida teams or off to Detroit/NY for pennies and thrive there.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Johnny and Money were an elite duo up until two years ago before the chemistry grew stale, they lost the spark, and the league caught up to them. I would love to swap Monahan for a more talented offensive C to play w Johnny and see if that combo can get their spark. He’d help our PP and offensive zone chance generation numbers a ton. He’d also be the most skilled C Johnny’s ever played with. But ya let’s not upgrade our offensive 1C position because he’s marginally worse defensively and at face offs, makes sense. We have Lindholm and Backlund who are ideal as defensive/two-way C’s, if our top-line offensive C was actually scoring it would be the perfect lineup composition.
Gaudreau-Kuznetsov-______
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Mang-Backlund-_______
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom/Leivo.

And still about $10 leftover for those RW spots.
Insert Adam Ruzicka on one of vacant RW and maybe Mathias EP'sen or GG(_aud-dammit-then) on the other one.
Then need to retire Gio to coaching duties and bring up Mackey and play Kylington on the backend, plus get another new one. Bye bye Mr. Stone. Say thank you for your commitment and efforts. Farewell.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Insert Adam Ruzicka on one of vacant RW and maybe Mathias EP'sen or GG(_aud-dammit-then) on the other one.
Then need to retire Gio to coaching duties and bring up Mackey and play Kylington on the backend, plus get another new one. Bye bye Mr. Stone. Say thank you for your commitment and efforts. Farewell.

I noticed Mr Ruzicka couldnt get Stockton going. It's as bad if not worse than the Flames. What drink do I need to take to think he is the solution for the Flames?

The next real prospects are Zary and Peletier. Anybody else is close to waiver wire than the NHL roster.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I noticed Mr Ruzicka couldnt get Stockton going. It's as bad if not worse than the Flames. What drink do I need to take to think he is the solution for the Flames?
In his defense with Nordstrom Ritchie Leivo Nesterov and Stone and sometimes Robinson or Rinaldo as regulars it’s honestly pretty hard to tell which team is which sometimes

Reactions: DFF

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
A very strong one with some torches in it. No high-heat Flames giving light or internal warmth tgese days. I was just pharting out perboleseses suggesting some prospects actually getting a chance seeing as how suggested trade would leave them with $10 bucks and no roster RW's on 2 of the lines.
Thanks, I need something much stronger myself now.
Will be interesting to see how much of current roster is still here next fall? Likely, hopefully a busy offseason with some positive action.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Honest question, if we can’t beat the Sens now how the hell are we gonna beat them 3 years from now? They legit have 8 great under 25 dmen, and then Stuezle Batherson Norris Brady Tkachuk Pinto Formenton and whoever they draft top-5 this year. I’m so jealous. Chabot Brannstrom Sanderson Zub Bernand-Docker, Lassi Thompson, now Mete looking great, not to mention their 2 2nds in both of the next two years and the two forwards they picked in the 25-35 range last year. Just insane

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

The next real prospects are Zary and Peletier. Anybody else is close to waiver wire than the NHL roster.
Just going off of what people who got to watch the Heat year round said; guys like Phillips, Pettersen, and Zavgorodniy (didn't score a ton but was very close multiple times, and worked his way up the lineup as a rookie) are the other two to watch for. Just from general hearsay it feels like Ruzicka is very Monahan-esque in the fact he is primarily a triggerman playing centre.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Stockton went to shit once Zary left tho

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just going off of what people who got to watch the Heat year round said; guys like Phillips, Pettersen, and Zavgorodniy (didn't score a ton but was very close multiple times, and worked his way up the lineup as a rookie) are the other two to watch for. Just from general hearsay it feels like Ruzicka is very Monahan-esque in the fact he is primarily a triggerman playing centre.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Stockton went to shit once Zary left tho
Yeah ruzicka is a mini Monahan. Big, soft, lazy and slow. And he can’t even score like Monahan used to. The Flames development sucks, they have done nothing to change that.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
I am at the point now where I would like a scorched earth rebuild. The top of the next two drafts are really, really good. It would be border line stupid to not swing for the fences here and try to get a Franchise player. The Flames could get some really good pieces for Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Hanifin etc.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am at the point now where I would like a scorched earth rebuild. The top of the next two drafts are really, really good. It would be border line stupid to not swing for the fences here and try to get a Franchise player. The Flames could get some really good pieces for Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Hanifin etc.

I just don't think Calgary's really in need of a scorched earth rebuild, their team is so f***ing bad regardless that just moving a few pieces would set them up for a bottom 3 finish for me.

Like, we have a tendency to act like this team is underperforming and the sum of its parts aren't actually that bad.

Check this out.

Since the ASG in 2019 the Flames combined record (excluding playoffs) is:

73- 65 - 12

That record would put them somewhere in the bottom 12 of the league. This year this team is 5th last in scoring, they can't score to save their lives.

So, let's say they trade Gaudreau to a contender (with retention) and get a massive haul back (like, let's say a first, and a Blue-chip prospect).
So, let's say they trade Sean Monahan to someone desperate for a centre (with rentention) and get a reasonable haul back (like, let let's say a first and a B prospect).
Now, let's say Seattle takes Giordano in the expansion draft.

This team will be dropping 3 of their top 7 scorers, their offensive catalyst, a guy who in the past has scored, and a defenceman that even though is on the decline, is still leading our defence in scoring.

This team wouldn't be able to score to save their lives. IF you can't score, and you already can't really defend, that has bottom team to me.

You only need to bottom out for the 2021-2022 season, get a chance at Wright; if you don't get him, you try again in 2023 for Bedard. But this team has good complimentary pieces that would make the transition back to relevance a bit easier.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
I just don't think Calgary's really in need of a scorched earth rebuild, their team is so f***ing bad regardless that just moving a few pieces would set them up for a bottom 3 finish for me.

Like, we have a tendency to act like this team is underperforming and the sum of its parts aren't actually that bad.

Check this out.

73- 65 - 12

That record would put them somewhere in the bottom 12 of the league. This year this team is 5th last in scoring, they can't score to save their lives.

So, let's say they trade Gaudreau to a contender (with retention) and get a massive haul back (like, let's say a first, and a Blue-chip prospect).
So, let's say they trade Sean Monahan to someone desperate for a centre (with rentention) and get a reasonable haul back (like, let let's say a first and a B prospect).

This team will be dropping 3 of their top 7 scorers, their offensive catalyst, a guy who in the past has scored, and a defenceman that even though is on the decline, is still leading our defence in scoring.

This team wouldn't be able to score to save their lives. IF you can't score, and you already can't really defend, that has bottom team to me.

You only need to bottom out for the 2021-2022 season, get a chance at Wright; if you don't get him, you try again in 2023 for Bedard. But this team has good complimentary pieces that would make the transition back to relevance a bit easier.

I hope the universe is listening.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Wolf literally just had the best goaltending career in WHL history.

Poirier looks like he could be a high end talent if he continues to round out his rough edges.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Wolf literally just had the best goaltending career in WHL history.

Poirier looks like he could be a high end talent if he continues to round out his rough edges.
Francis just put up identical numbers to Dawson Mercer in the Q while on a worse team, and beat every other first rounder in his same draft in the Q.

Kuznetsov was deemed to good for college and was signed to get AHL games in, then managed to not even be a minus player on a team that got out scored 20-7 while he was there. His career path has been almost identical to Tanevs so far.

Poirier has a legitimate chance to be the best offensive defenseman in the CHL next season to just re-emphasize how good his skillset is.

It’s understandable for fans to want to be negative after the season we had, but all of Zary, Pelletier, Francis, Kusnetsov, and Wolf will be going to the pro ranks next year. That’s five added players in one season all with Top 6/4/1G potential (granted the floors/ceilings vary) instead of waiver fodder.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

Check this out.

73- 65 - 12

I agree that this is probably the way to go, but this strategy is not without risk. If we do trade Johnny and Money and let Gio walk, what if we finish outside the bottom-3? Even at our worst we did not break into the bottom-3, and we still have Tkachuk Lindholm Mang Backlund Hanifin Tanev Rasmus Valimaki. What if we finish in the 4-6 range? And end up with another Monahan/Tkachuk who have been great top-6 guys at points but aren’t gonna turn this organization around. There’s still Buffalo, maybe Detroit, Seattle, Columbus, NJ who could easily be worse than us. Especially if some of our younger guys take a step forward, which is very possible for guys like Dube and Valimaki and maybe even Mang and Hanifin really hitting that next level. If that happens and we don’t pick top-3 and trade Johnny we’re not even that much better off. The only way it works is if we can get a massive haul for Johnny that makes it for sure worthwhile. Like an additional 2022 1st from one of those teams or like a Philly or LA who could easily finish bottom-10.

But if teams are being stingy before Johnny’s modified NTC kicks in we will be in a really tough spot. We won’t get the value we want for him, but if we keep him we won’t be bad enough to tank. At that point we have to consider all our options, such as trading other pieces (Tanev, Backlund, even Tkachuk) on top of Monahan in order to shake things up. Or make big offers for Eichel or really go nuts and offer sheet an RFA. My whole point is that tanking is not nearly as cut and dry as you make it seem, and even tho our team without Johnny and Money and Gio SHOULD be bottom-3 there are no guarantees, and moving players as good as Gaudreau comes with significant risk that whoever we draft or trade him for will have a significantly lower impact and we’ll be left without any potential star talent

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree that this is probably the way to go, but this strategy is not without risk. If we do trade Johnny and Money and let Gio walk, what if we finish outside the bottom-3? Even at our worst we did not break into the bottom-3, and we still have Tkachuk Lindholm Mang Backlund Hanifin Tanev Rasmus Valimaki. What if we finish in the 4-6 range? And end up with another Monahan/Tkachuk who have been great top-6 guys at points but aren’t gonna turn this organization around. There’s still Buffalo, maybe Detroit, Seattle, Columbus, NJ who could easily be worse than us. Especially if some of our younger guys take a step forward, which is very possible for guys like Dube and Valimaki and maybe even Mang and Hanifin really hitting that next level. If that happens and we don’t pick top-3 and trade Johnny we’re not even that much better off. The only way it works is if we can get a massive haul for Johnny that makes it for sure worthwhile. Like an additional 2022 1st from one of those teams or like a Philly or LA who could easily finish bottom-10.

But if teams are being stingy before Johnny’s modified NTC kicks in we will be in a really tough spot. We won’t get the value we want for him, but if we keep him we won’t be bad enough to tank. At that point we have to consider all our options, such as trading other pieces (Tanev, Backlund, even Tkachuk) on top of Monahan in order to shake things up. Or make big offers for Eichel or really go nuts and offer sheet an RFA. My whole point is that tanking is not nearly as cut and dry as you make it seem, and even tho our team without Johnny and Money and Gio SHOULD be bottom-3 there are no guarantees, and moving players as good as Gaudreau comes with significant risk that whoever we draft or trade him for will have a significantly lower impact and we’ll be left without any potential star talent

My main point is that tanking is the only option this team has.

• Without landing an Eichel type player, which will cost all kinds of assets, there's no single player or mix of 3-4 players available that could actually change the direction of this franchise. It's all bandage fixes that'll just extend our misery another half decade.
  • Tanking, in the NHL, is the most tried and true method of turning a franchise around. In fact, the teams that never get out of the basement from tanking are the ones where management can't insulate the talent at all; I think Calgary's in a position where we have enough pieces to insulate elite talent when it comes as is.
  • There's risk in everything in life, those who risk nothing, gain nothing. This team is in a position where the core clearly can't get it done. This was apparent by the end of 2019, and yet the core was given two additional seasons to 'figure it out'. We just prolonged two years of core changes for nothing. To watch some of the worst hockey most of us can remember?
  • Gaudreau, while I think has a couple more 95-100 point seasons in him, won't do it as the best player on a bad franchise. I'm not saying give him away for nothing, but get yourself a massive haul for the guy while you still can. Yes, there's a very high likelihood you don't get a franchise star by trading Gaudreau, but you also get nothing when he walks at the end of the season, and even worse, you just repeat this sad circle we're in if you extend him as your main piece.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

• Without landing an Eichel type player, which will cost all kinds of assets, there's no single player or mix of 3-4 players available that could actually change the direction of this franchise. It's all bandage fixes that'll just extend our misery another half decade.
  • Tanking, in the NHL, is the most tried and true method of turning a franchise around. In fact, the teams that never get out of the basement from tanking are the ones where management can't insulate the talent at all; I think Calgary's in a position where we have enough pieces to insulate elite talent when it comes as is.
  • There's risk in everything in life, those who risk nothing, gain nothing. This team is in a position where the core clearly can't get it done. This was apparent by the end of 2019, and yet the core was given two additional seasons to 'figure it out'. We just prolonged two years of core changes for nothing. To watch some of the worst hockey most of us can remember?
  • Gaudreau, while I think has a couple more 95-100 point seasons in him, won't do it as the best player on a bad franchise. I'm not saying give him away for nothing, but get yourself a massive haul for the guy while you still can. Yes, there's a very high likelihood you don't get a franchise star by trading Gaudreau, but you also get nothing when he walks at the end of the season, and even worse, you just repeat this sad circle we're in if you extend him as your main piece.
For the most part I totally agree with this, but I just am worried that moving just Johnny and Money won’t be enough. On one hand you say we don’t need to do a scorched earth rebuild, but on the other hand you say tank is the only option. If we trade just Johnny and Money we may not tank hard enough to actually get the elite top talent we need. I totally agree we need to take risks and move Money for sure and probs Johnny, but to me it doesn’t end there.

We can’t have our cake and eat it too in terms of trying to rebuild but refusing to move out enough pieces. I agree we neeeeed to insulate the top talent so our rebuild doesn’t go like Edmonton and Buffalo, but we need to find the line of selling enough so that we can really get into the top-3. If we trade money and Johnny and then finish in the 7-10 range next year and only add a mid-late first+prospect for Johnny our long-term outlook isn’t that much better. We just need to hit on the Johnny return, and we still need to consider moving Tanev/Backlund/even Rasmus/Chucky for the right returns imo. Keeping all those pieces around will make it very hard to actually tank.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

While this is all valid, I also don't think the Flames as is are actually that far away from restructuring their roster to be legitimately competitive.

Trade Monahan for a Laine type. Same player, different handedness.

Elevate Kylington to top pair.

Move Dube to 3C

Reunite 3M

Acquire a liljegren type somehow. A fast, cheap, offensive RHD.

Acquire a 3LW

5v5

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Pelettier-Dube-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Phillips

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Giordano-Liljegren

There's no reason that roster can't pull a 2019 Blues. Heck it's probably a better roster than the 2019 Flames who were 2nd overall (as constructed... since Bennett wasn't used right).

A Pp1 of

Tkachuk
Laine - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Liljegren or Kylington

is easily a top 5 PP alone

a PK of

Backlund-Lindholm
Giordano-Tanev

Mangiapane-Ryan
Hanifin-Andersson

Dube-Phillips
Kylington-Liljegren

is perfectly competent with sutter coaching it. Though that last pk unit might have some size issues and need to be utilized on the fly.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
While this is all valid, I also don't think the Flames as is are actually that far away from restructuring their roster to be legitimately competitive.

Trade Monahan for a Laine type. Same player, different handedness.

Elevate Kylington to top pair.

Move Dube to 3C

Reunite 3M

Acquire a liljegren type somehow. A fast, cheap, offensive RHD.

Acquire a 3LW

5v5

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Pelettier-Dube-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Phillips

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Giordano-Liljegren

There's no reason that roster can't pull a 2019 Blues. Heck it's probably a better roster than the 2019 Flames who were 2nd overall (as constructed... since Bennett wasn't used right).

A Pp1 of

Tkachuk
Laine - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Liljegren or Kylington

is easily a top 5 PP alone

a PK of

Backlund-Lindholm
Giordano-Tanev

Mangiapane-Ryan
Hanifin-Andersson

Dube-Phillips
Kylington-Liljegren

is perfectly competent with sutter coaching it. Though that last pk unit might have some size issues and need to be utilized on the fly.

That team is horrible.

Reactions: handsofmoney

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For the most part I totally agree with this, but I just am worried that moving just Johnny and Money won’t be enough. On one hand you say we don’t need to do a scorched earth rebuild, but on the other hand you say tank is the only option. If we trade just Johnny and Money we may not tank hard enough to actually get the elite top talent we need. I totally agree we need to take risks and move Money for sure and probs Johnny, but to me it doesn’t end there.

We can’t have our cake and eat it too in terms of trying to rebuild but refusing to move out enough pieces. I agree we neeeeed to insulate the top talent so our rebuild doesn’t go like Edmonton and Buffalo, but we need to find the line of selling enough so that we can really get into the top-3. If we trade money and Johnny and then finish in the 7-10 range next year and only add a mid-late first+prospect for Johnny our long-term outlook isn’t that much better. We just need to hit on the Johnny return, and we still need to consider moving Tanev/Backlund/even Rasmus/Chucky for the right returns imo. Keeping all those pieces around will make it very hard to actually tank.

This is where that fanboy/Chel vs reality thing sets in.

It's impossible in the modern NHL to flip a roster that easily. Moving 3 key pieces would be incredibly difficult; cutting more would be impossible and in reality, more damning than not.

Again, I'll point right back to this team. Since the ASG of 2019, this team sits at about 12th worst in the league. That's with a very healthy core (we've not lost a 'key' piece for half a year or anything). This year they're currently a bottom 5 team.

Losing 3 of your top 7 scorers, I don't think would set this team up to finish only slightly worse than it already is.
Sure. If a Andersson deal comes up, or a Tkachuk deal comes up that's too good to pass, then sure... but just cutting for the sake of cutting does nothing except push the team further in the talent debt pool. I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot. All the successful rebuilds in this league haven't come from burning everything to the ground. All the successful ones have kept young core pieces where applicable, and added top picks on top of them.

Like, think of it this way:

This roster (prior to injuries)

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Mangiapane - Monahan - Ritchie
Lucic - Backlund - Dube

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson

Scores at a bottom 5 rate in the NHL.

How much would the following score:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dube - Backlund - Lucic
Garbage - Garbage - Garbage

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson

They'd be bottom 2 in scoring. There's almost no one there that can actually score. If you can't score, you can't win games.

Plus, if you win the 2022 draft lotto, the Flames would be a competitive team by 2022-2023, and by 2023-2024 would be a contender.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is where that fanboy/Chel vs reality thing sets in.

It's impossible in the modern NHL to flip a roster that easily. Moving 3 key pieces would be incredibly difficult; cutting more would be impossible and in reality, more damning than not.

Again, I'll point right back to this team. Since the ASG of 2019, this team sits at about 12th worst in the league. That's with a very healthy core (we've not lost a 'key' piece for half a year or anything). This year they're currently a bottom 5 team.

Losing 3 of your top 7 scorers, I don't think would set this team up to finish only slightly worse than it already is.
Sure. If a Andersson deal comes up, or a Tkachuk deal comes up that's too good to pass, then sure... but just cutting for the sake of cutting does nothing except push the team further in the talent debt pool. I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot. All the successful rebuilds in this league haven't come from burning everything to the ground. All the successful ones have kept young core pieces where applicable, and added top picks on top of them.

Like, think of it this way:

This roster (prior to injuries)

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Mangiapane - Monahan - Ritchie
Lucic - Backlund - Dube

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson

Scores at a bottom 5 rate in the NHL.

How much would the following score:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dube - Backlund - Lucic
Garbage - Garbage - Garbage

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson

They'd be bottom 2 in scoring. There's almost no one there that can actually score. If you can't score, you can't win games.

Plus, if you win the 2022 draft lotto, the Flames would be a competitive team by 2022-2023, and by 2023-2024 would be a contender.
I think the only way we sink like a rock in the standings is if we trade Gaudreau.

This might be the hopeful fan in me but I think that if we get someone new in the front office to stomp out the distractions in the room and let Sutter get a full training camp, we could probably have a nice bounceback season and finish as a low seed going into the playoffs

This team sucks right now because our second line doesn't have a good centre and Backlund is centering absolute garbage. And I think our defense is fixable if they want to use Kylington.

It's would be a tricky summer for a new GM but it is possible to re-tool well and change the culture of this organization quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad