Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ryan will be signed for expansion purposes. Unless he decides to sign with Seattle in free agency and eliminate the middleman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ryan will be signed for expansion purposes. Unless he decides to sign with Seattle in free agency and eliminate the middleman.
I'm interested to see how much Ryan gets this summer, my guess is somewhere in the ballpark of 1-1.5m, seems like it is players of his ilk getting squeezed by the flat cap.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Gio will be dealt this off-season, we can’t afford to deal Backlund.
The Rangers only have 2 defensemen worth protecting and at least some of their fans believe they could use a veteran LD. There could be a fit there, the big question, is what is Gio's value in this climate?

The thought that pops into my head is one I do not like, Giordano for DeAngelo and their 1st, which is slated to be 15th OA and would save us a little over 3m against the cap. It is a very Treliving style move as he's tried to get 1st rounders for taking problem contracts before.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Much as it pains me, I think we’d be hard pressed to get anything for Gio before next trade deadline, when his remaining cap hit will be immaterial. I think we’ve missed our chance to move him unless some GM is really enamoured with the idea of bringing in a former Norris winner. Like, in a world without cap I could see Tampa Bay being all over it, for example.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Much as it pains me, I think we’d be hard pressed to get anything for Gio before next trade deadline, when his remaining cap hit will be immaterial. I think we’ve missed our chance to move him unless some GM is really enamoured with the idea of bringing in a former Norris winner. Like, in a world without cap I could see Tampa Bay being all over it, for example.
I look at many trades and wonder what they thinking

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Trade return expectations will have to be lowered around these parts. Flat cap, teams not willing to trade first rounders or prospects and our guys trade value has lowered. Monohan I think we keep unless a team like the Rangers is willing to ante up for a center. Gaudreau - i think he gets dealt but I think we will be disappointed in the return - i.e. Flyers will give up Allison, Zamula, Patrick, etc but I'm not sure we can get Frost. We likely will also have to take a contract back like Ghost's. I wonder if we can make a "hockey" trade for Johnny - say Bailey/Beauvillier for Johnny. Also I think Gio can be moved if Seattle doesn't grab him but we will have to take salary back. I think a deal could be had with Ottawa who I think would love Gio on the left side to see if they can make a run for a playoff spot next year with their young guns. Giordano for Tierney and a 2022 2nd is a deal I would do. Tierney upgrades over Ryan as 4C, we get another 2nd and open up 3.25 in cap space.

After saying all that I think our offseason will be a re-set not a rebuild.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Lucic has officially waived his NMC clause for the expansion draft. And as said in the article on Sportsnet:

"Lucic confirmed that when Treliving was in the midst of orchestrating the trade that brought Lucic to Calgary for James Neal in July 2019, he gave a verbal agreement to waive his NMC. At that time, Lucic wanted a change of scenery and was more than willing to waive expansion draft protection to make it happen."

Just like I tried to tell everyone who was freaking about having to protect him because of the NMC.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Lucic has officially waived his NMC clause for the expansion draft. And as said in the article on Sportsnet:

"Lucic confirmed that when Treliving was in the midst of orchestrating the trade that brought Lucic to Calgary for James Neal in July 2019, he gave a verbal agreement to waive his NMC. At that time, Lucic wanted a change of scenery and was more than willing to waive expansion draft protection to make it happen."

Just like I tried to tell everyone who was freaking about having to protect him because of the NMC.
You, me, and everyone else south of Red Deer.

Nice to see one of my posts turn into an Eric Francis article though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Literally a couple days after the trade I said here that he’s waiving. My friend confirmed it right away, because it was such a hot topic.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Literally a couple days after the trade I said here that he’s waiving. My friend confirmed it right away, because it was such a hot topic.
A friend of a friend told me

there is no logical reason for Lucic not to waive

Reactions: Volica

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The only thing I could see Lucic having done is had Brad make the verbal agreement that he couldn't make a trade with Seattle to specifically get them to choose him. That's as far as I ever thought it would be

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah if Seattle picks him up, he’ll instantly become a local hero.

if he stays, he is a good guy on the Flames book

I doubt Seattle would look at him, to be honest. It's just too much for too long.
I really think it's Gio they should look at. It sucks we lose him for nothing (unless there's a trade pre-draft), but it makes sense on their end. You get a guy who'll play 25 minutes a night, PP1, likely get killed, but there will be a team come 2022 deadline that'll see him as a 'this could be the final piece' player.

Honestly, it didn't take a genius to figure out Lucic was going to waive all along. Apparently those braincells stop working once you hit Red Deer or something in Alberta!

Reactions: DFF and Nanuuk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
At this point, depending on how many of the core players are traded away we might as well protect Lucic.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving might be playing 5D chess drafting and signing all these Russians all of a sudden with Kuznetsov seemingly available now

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving might be playing 5D chess drafting and signing all these Russians all of a sudden with Kuznetsov seemingly available now

Gio
Andersson
Tanev
Hanifin*
Valimaki
Stone/Nesterov

We should just play all these guys on opening face off for a real 5D chess. :naughty:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The other thing to note with Looch is that he is due a ~2M bonus on July 1. If Seattle picks him they would have to reimburse the Flames the ~2M. That alone should make him bullet proof.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
No thanks to Kuznetsov. Trending downwards.
Really? I would absolutely love Kuznetsov. 32 points in the playoffs 2 years ago the guy would be the most skilled offensive forward Johnny has ever played with. He’s still just 28 (29 in a few weeks) and his contract is up at age 32. If we don’t commit to re-tooling and can’t get good returns for Monahan/Backlund this would be the closest thing we can find to a 1C

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trade Monahan, he sucks becauserides Gaudreau's coattails, but let's acquire a guy who is older, has similar numbers, is worse defensively, worse in draws, is enough of a problem the Caps are looking to trade him, and rides Ovechkin's coattails. Sounds like a smart plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad