Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ben Bishop
MAF
Freddie Andersen
Raanta, Talbot (back when he went to EDM).... Basically we are in on everyone because Tre is always working the phones, so I think it gets blown out of proportion

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
so which unmotivated bottom dwelling team will muster up some sort of half assed effort to win tonight.
man..as bad as Monahan has been this year with him out of the line up our team really really sucks as opposed to just really sucks.
Not sure why Valimaki, Mackey, Phillips, Ruzicka arent playing.
Its not like Stone, Ritchie, Leivo, Nesterov are long term solutions and hell why not sit Gio/Tanev as well.

We didn't make the playoffs time to give the kids a chance.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
so which unmotivated bottom dwelling team will muster up some sort of half assed effort to win tonight.
man..as bad as Monahan has been this year with him out of the line up our team really really sucks as opposed to just really sucks.
Not sure why Valimaki, Mackey, Phillips, Ruzicka arent playing.
Its not like Stone, Ritchie, Leivo, Nesterov are long term solutions and hell why not sit Gio/Tanev as well.

We didn't make the playoffs time to give the kids a chance.

Not happening,

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kucherov - Point - Stone
Gaudreau - Bennett - Panarin
Tkachuk - Barzal - Brown
Zucker - Kadri - Mangiapane

Giordano-Fox
Kylington-P. Myers
(Actual Cap Space)-Dobson

Bishop
Andersen

Were we ever tied to Point? I don't recall Flames honing in on him like Panarin or Kucherov.
Flames weren't in on Barzal, they were in on Chabot, which makes the defence look about 1000000000x times better.

Without Point and Barzal, the centre depth is about as good as it is today; but those wings are insane. Like, repugnantly insane.
Do we have Tkachuk if we have Bishop? Or are you using Bishop trade 2.0 as the guideline?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Were we ever tied to Point? I don't recall Flames honing in on him like Panarin or Kucherov.
Flames weren't in on Barzal, they were in on Chabot, which makes the defence look about 1000000000x times better.

Without Point and Barzal, the centre depth is about as good as it is today; but those wings are insane. Like, repugnantly insane.
Do we have Tkachuk if we have Bishop? Or are you using Bishop trade 2.0 as the guideline?
I think Point is more a he was still available when we picked in the 3rd round, so not a tied to but a what if.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Not really the same, but that draft was a disaster because Burke came in and basically imposed his size philosophy. Had Feaster or an independent Treliving been our GM, I don't see how Hunter Smith would have been taken with that draft pick. Maybe we don't take Point, but he was also a local guy with some pretty killer metrics. He does fit our drafting MO in every year outside of 2014 - the "Burke Draft"

What you're forgetting is that the Flames were picking 15th, and Barzal was projected to go 6th or 7th despite all the injuries he sustained in his draft year. So the rumours about the Flames were about players who'd be expected to be available.

Barzal falling to 15 (and ultimately 16) was something no one really saw coming. Even if Chabot was who they "expected" to take, that doesn't mean they'd have passed up a chance to take the WHL kid who was injured all year and had previously been discussed as a top three, top five pick.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't remember where I read it but I recall something saying that Point's dad (well-off as you'd expect) tried to talk some of the Flames executives he knew into taking Point.

Don't know if it's true or not but it's definitely a possibility.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not really the same, but that draft was a disaster because Burke came in and basically imposed his size philosophy. Had Feaster or an independent Treliving been our GM, I don't see how Hunter Smith would have been taken with that draft pick. Maybe we don't take Point, but he was also a local guy with some pretty killer metrics. He does fit our drafting MO in every year outside of 2014 - the "Burke Draft"

What you're forgetting is that the Flames were picking 15th, and Barzal was projected to go 6th or 7th despite all the injuries he sustained in his draft year. So the rumours about the Flames were about players who'd be expected to be available.

Barzal falling to 15 (and ultimately 16) was something no one really saw coming. Even if Chabot was who they "expected" to take, that doesn't mean they'd have passed up a chance to take the WHL kid who was injured all year and had previously been discussed as a top three, top five pick.

What you’re also omitting is that Chabot was projected into the 20’s.
It would appear they were really focusing on the guy they wanted.

In reality, it just goes to show... make the damn pick. Don’t get too clever with it, just make the pick your scouts want, they’ve put in the work.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Continue from here: Speculation: - Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Pls fix Flams. kthxbye

There is no easy fix for the Flames only opinions of how it could be done. Below is what I would try in no particular order except number 1.

1. Fire Treliving (hire Jim Rutherford) or another GM with experience. Let them hire their own management
2. Fire Jordan Sigalet ( been around a carousel of goalies with no success)
3. Allow Coach Sutter to arrange his coaching staff and meet with GM to discuss the type of team he wants to coach so that the GM gets the right players for the start of next season for Sutter to coach.
4. Do not mind bringing back David Rittich if unable to I would prefer a backup with NHL experience
5. If we struggle during the season I do not mind trading Johnny, Monny, or Chucky if the return is good. Not like we got with Iginla
6. Replace Amature Scout Tod Button ( Our farm system is lagging and he has not helped improve on it)
7. Try to find a number one defenseman to eventually replace Gio as he will be 39 next season and soon may be thinking of retirement. Not sure who to get

Players I would like to target cannot get all but at least one DOUGIE HAMILTON, RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS, TAYLOR HALL, or BRANDON MONTOUR.

These are just my opinion let me know what you like and what changes you would make.

Reactions: DFF

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I honestly would be fine with Phillips getting claimed so the prospects we have that never deserve a legitimate shot get it elsewhere.

Just play him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How can anybody claim Phillips? Even the flames don’t think he deserves a shot

he is really not that good of a prospect. Every team has several like him

he is done as a Flames if he can find a better opportunity. Probably in Europe.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The hyping of Matthew Phillips reminds me of the way Dustin Boyd was overhyped back in the day,

Reactions: Nanuuk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The funny thing is that if Darryl embraced the rebuild and young players he would be the perfect coach. I don’t mind what he’s doing with Valimaki. It’s a motivation tactic and Valimaki got lots of minutes this year.

Not trying Phillips, Ruzicka and Mackey is just ridiculous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad