Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Having a near legit 1C with the potential Kuznetsov has shown, and a playstyle that would highly compliment Gaudreau's creativity? If the meat of the package is "Monahan +" the Flames would be silly to turn it down

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Trade Monahan, he sucks becauserides Gaudreau's coattails, but let's acquire a guy who is older, has similar numbers, is worse defensively, worse in draws, is enough of a problem the Caps are looking to trade him, and rides Ovechkin's coattails. Sounds like a smart plan.
Johnny and Money were an elite duo up until two years ago before the chemistry grew stale, they lost the spark, and the league caught up to them. I would love to swap Monahan for a more talented offensive C to play w Johnny and see if that combo can get their spark. He’d help our PP and offensive zone chance generation numbers a ton. He’d also be the most skilled C Johnny’s ever played with. But ya let’s not upgrade our offensive 1C position because he’s marginally worse defensively and at face offs, makes sense. We have Lindholm and Backlund who are ideal as defensive/two-way C’s, if our top-line offensive C was actually scoring it would be the perfect lineup composition.
Gaudreau-Kuznetsov-______
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Mang-Backlund-_______
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom/Leivo.

And still about $10 leftover for those RW spots.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny and Money were an elite duo up until two years ago before the chemistry grew stale, they lost the spark, and the league caught up to them. I would love to swap Monahan for a more talented offensive C to play w Johnny and see if that combo can get their spark. He’d help our PP and offensive zone chance generation numbers a ton. He’d also be the most skilled C Johnny’s ever played with. But ya let’s not upgrade our offensive 1C position because he’s marginally worse defensively and at face offs, makes sense. We have Lindholm and Backlund who are ideal as defensive/two-way C’s, if our top-line offensive C was actually scoring it would be the perfect lineup composition.
Gaudreau-Kuznetsov-______
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Mang-Backlund-_______
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom/Leivo.

And still about $10 leftover for those RW spots.

Imagine still thinking any top 6 center is not an upgrade on Monahan

poor Flames fans

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Having a near legit 1C with the potential Kuznetsov has shown, and a playstyle that would highly compliment Gaudreau's creativity? If the meat of the package is "Monahan +" the Flames would be silly to turn it down
How does this make any sense?

• How is Kuznetsov any more of a "near legit 1C" than Monahan? Over the last 5 years, Kuz has just 15 more points, and 29 fewer goals. Kuznetsov is not as good defensively an he absolutely f***ing sucks on faceoffs.
  • Potential? He turns 29 in 2 weeks. He's coming off back to back down years, and we're talking potential? Monahan is 26 (27 when next season starts), he has back to back down years and he's done and we need to trade him for basically anything.
  • Monahan is always characterized as riding Gaudreau's coattails, but Kuznetsov has been riding those of possibly the greatest goalscorer in NHL history.
  • Kuznetsov has shown character issues on multiple occasions

Why would Calgary be the team adding? Monahan is the better all around player and isn't of questionable character.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Kuznetsov is not the player that is going to turn around this team.
Maybe not but we are 100% certain Monahan can’t

Do it if you can’t get anything better for Monahan and I doubt they can

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Also if they can’t find a trade, they should seriously consider exposing Monahan for Seattle

pretty sure 6.5M can be better spent, not by Treliving of course

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Also if they can’t find a trade, they should seriously consider exposing Monahan for Seattle

pretty sure 6.5M can be better spent, not by Treliving of course

Monahan has value, exposing him to Seattle is just silly.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan has value, exposing him to Seattle is just silly.
Trade him then?

are you tired of watching the same shit from him for 3 yrs now?

at least with Bennett, you can say they didn’t give him prime Pp time, didn’t have good players to play with him. What else can they do for Monahan?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Trade him then?

are you tired of watching the same shit from him for 3 yrs now?

at least with Bennett, you can say they didn’t give him prime Pp time, didn’t have good players to play with him. What else can they do for Monahan?

I think Monahan will be traded and he will be traded in a package.

Reactions: DFF

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

• How is Kuznetsov any more of a "near legit 1C" than Monahan? Over the last 5 years, Kuz has just 15 more points, and 29 fewer goals. Kuznetsov is not as good defensively an he absolutely f***ing sucks on faceoffs.
  • Potential? He turns 29 in 2 weeks. He's coming off back to back down years, and we're talking potential? Monahan is 26 (27 when next season starts), he has back to back down years and he's done and we need to trade him for basically anything.
  • Monahan is always characterized as riding Gaudreau's coattails, but Kuznetsov has been riding those of possibly the greatest goalscorer in NHL history.

Why would Calgary be the team adding? Monahan is the better all around player and isn't of questionable character.
I'm more looking at playstyle. Not gonna touch on the faceoffs beeing impactful on defense (they are very removed from team success). Monahan may be younger but I think the potential for him to regain form is questionable given injury history. That's really what I mean by potential, how regaining form would improve the overall abilities of the team. I think that his improved defence this year is a great sign in terms of potential for him to be a better overall player when healthy (as far as advanced stats go) but the health is a question mark. Whereas for Kuznetsov he has succeeded with and without Ovechkin if memory serves me correct.

For his character issues I'm not sure if Calgary could be the place to sort him out, but for all the things with Washington's character being in question (vehemently supporting Wilson, Ovechkin et al's COVID debacle, Ovechkin making the Putin club) I wouldn't be surprised if getting to a new team would at least calm Kuznetsov's issues down a bit.

I don't think it's cut and dry that Monahan is better than Kuznetsov. And I, personally, after seeing how Gaudreau and Tkachuk play together, feel that it's alright to trade for a centre with more offensive creativity that will allow the Flames to produce more offensively. We already have Lindholm + Backlund down the middle for defensive presence. They have a very established defensive forward core to work off of. That should allow the Flames to take a risk and get a player with a more varied offensive profile than Monahan.

I’d be open to trading for Kuznetsov, but I’m actually not sure Monahan is the guy I’d want to send the other way. You could actually put Monahan on Kuznetsovs wing and get a pretty good goal scorer out of it.
The biggest question, imo, is how we create space for Kuznetsov if Monahan isn't the one on the move. Barring making other moves like Lucic/Backlund/Giordano, Kuznetsov's 7.8 mil a year is hard to fit in. Though I do vibe with the idea of having Monahan centred by Kuznetsov.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One of those things I love, is how quietly Nick Backstrom is leading a good Caps team in scoring again.

The most under-appreciated player in the NHL; playing in Ovi’s shadow for a decade and a half. Guy will finish his career with over the 1000 points, near PPG and an elite two-way centre. Legitimately one of my favourite players in the NHL.

That’s what a real 1C looks like to me, without actually looking like a 1C kind of thing. Not every team will land a Matthews/McDavid, but you get a guy with Backstrom’s talent, you set yourself up with a true 1C

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
One of those things I love, is how quietly Nick Backstrom is leading a good Caps team in scoring again.

The most under-appreciated player in the NHL; playing in Ovi’s shadow for a decade and a half. Guy will finish his career with over the 1000 points, near PPG and an elite two-way centre. Legitimately one of my favourite players in the NHL.

That’s what a real 1C looks like to me, without actually looking like a 1C kind of thing. Not every team will land a Matthews/McDavid, but you get a guy with Backstrom’s talent, you set yourself up with a true 1C

Kopitar is another one that I feel like people can sometimes overlook. Just cracked 1k points himself.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

I love that these are your key arguments for why we shouldn't get a 1C to play with Johnny who recently put up more playoff points in one post-season than any Flames forward has in their career... Crazy idea, put him at C with Lindholm at RW, have Lindholm take the face-offs, and shelter him on our top-line like we've been doing for years? Idk about you but I've watched Kuznetsov in the past 3 years and I don't need to use his 2016-18 point totals to convince me why he is or isn't an incredibly talented offensive player lol. Have you seen what Kuznetsov is capable of offensively?

Our biggest weakness is scoring and generating consistent offence, maybe we shouldn't write off a dynamic 1C who has proven to be able to excel with elite offensive players against top competition on the basis of defensive ability and face-offs? I'm all for re-tooling and trying to find someone younger first, but reality is 1C's like him don't come around very often and people acting like he's some over-the-hill asset are overreacting given his elite playoff performance just 2 years ago and still putting up top-line C numbers. 45th in ES P/60 over the past two years at 2.25 P/60, for reference Gaudreau and Tkachuk are around 110th and Mang is the best Flame at 94th. Kuznetsov is elite offensively, please watch these highlights or even a few games so you can get rid of the ridiculous myth that he rides Ovi's coattails for his offensive production.

Maybe we find a top-prospect or mid-first++ for Monahan that is a better deal, but otherwise this is as close to an established high-end offensive C as we're getting.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don’t want Kuznetsov. Has taken a step back in production and on ice play, topped off with some head-scratching decisions off the ice. Yes, probably better than Monahan and as good as Lindholm, but he is the wrong kind of guy to bring in. If he continues on this path, he’ll soon be in the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad