Oct 19, 2013
Gaudreau + 2nd for Lundell or like Kyrou+
Tkachuk for Byram
Monahan for late first
Tanev for first and prospect
Markström for anything
pick a FWD

take some salary dumps back as well.

Time for a rebuild. We need legit building blocks coming back if we are going to be good by 2023/24. That’s only two years with minimal revenues and honestly more fans might show up to watch the rebuild than the sad excuse for a team we put together this year.

Honestly the value is there for some of these but you can't just ignore other team's needs. Do you actually think there's even a 2% chance Colorado gives up their recent top-4 pick on his ELC while they're a contending team and desperately need the young ELC's to keep their actual core guys? If they did that they'd have to let Landeskog walk, not have room for another upgrade AND give us their future top-pairing ELC dman? i'm sorry but the chances have to be around 1% and even then I bet more than 95/100 intelligent Colorado fans would say no to that. I love Tkachuk but Colorado has had elite asset management we can't just expect to absolutely rail them. They could just as easily sign Hall or Landeskog or Schwartz and go with those guys and Byram instead of just Tkachuk amidst the worst stretch of his career right before a huge playoff run. Hell they could probably even afford multiple guys if they move Graves and keep their elite young D on ELC's.

Tanev and Monahan ones are fair value imo but i'm surprised other people haven't called out the Monahan trade cause whenever Monahan for late 1st and a decent prospect gets proposed on the main boards people think we're selling way way too low. Specifically some of our fans that still believe Monahan is a bounce-back candidate despite over 2 season's of mediocrity. As for the Gaudreau trades I'm sorry but no chance. Kyrou for 1 year of Johnny?? Lundell? Even if the value is there teams don't just give up their best prospects for expensive short-term assets. Especially borderline playoff St Louis and still way-too unproven Florida. Nevermind the salary cap and the fact that Florida and St Louis would have to sacrifice the fit pieces to make Johnny fit lol. Both great targets for sure but we can't just expect other teams (especially Colorado, who are literally in the perfect position to contend) are gonna sacrifice their best young players. Florida too, no chance they sacrifice flexibility and their future 2C who looks unreal for 1 year of contention

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm sad rn

Took a ride
To the end of the line
Where no one ever goes
Ended up on a broken train
With nobody I know

But the pain
And the longing’s the same when you’re dying
Now I’m lost
And I’m screaming for help on my own

Relax, take it easy
For there is nothing that we can do
Relax, take it easy
Blame it on me or blame it on you

It’s as if I’m scared
It’s as if I’m terrified
It’s as if I’m scared
It’s as if we’re playing with fire

Oh, there is an answer to the darkest times
It’s clear, we don’t understand it
But the last thing on my mind
Is to leave you
I believe that we’re in this together
Don’t scream
There are so many roads left to run

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How on earth can you guys complain about Treliving not doing enough when he's getting players like this gem under contract? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB

Took a ride
To the end of the line
Where no one ever goes
Ended up on a broken train
With nobody I know

But the pain
And the longing’s the same when you’re dying
Now I’m lost
And I’m screaming for help on my own

Relax, take it easy
For there is nothing that we can do
Relax, take it easy
Blame it on me or blame it on you

It’s as if I’m scared
It’s as if I’m terrified
It’s as if I’m scared
It’s as if we’re playing with fire

Oh, there is an answer to the darkest times
It’s clear, we don’t understand it
But the last thing on my mind
Is to leave you
I believe that we’re in this together
Don’t scream
There are so many roads left to run

It’s actually “are we playing with fire” on the second time around.

Love this song. Brings me back to a time when the Flames were good and my body didn’t hurt.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
41 KHL games this season with 9 points as a 20 year old D...you could do worse. You could do worse.. anyone seen him play?

Isn't he like 6'7? Another Falkovsky type of dude? Or am I misremembering?

EDIT: Misremembered. But a big Russian dman type due.

A bizarre complaint that some other posters have is that Treliving is selling players at a loss. Who? He's basically sold everyone who was a key piece at a gain/heist and the main, most valuable player he lost on was basically Brodie who walked in UFA after a failed Kadri trade.

- Russell
- Hudler
- Glencross
- Ferland
- Fox (though Fox kept rising in value after traded)
- Dougie (IMO value stayed unchanged after trade)
- Baertschi for a 2nd (Andersson)

The main roster player loss I can truly think of is Granlund for Shinkaruk where the Canucks got way more NHL games out of Shinkaruk or Kulak (our 8th dman) for stuff to shore up a super injured AHL team.

That and he turned lots of nothings into something:

- Knight to Shore
- Kanzig to Lack to Prout
- Sieloff to Chiasson

etc.

Futures, sure, lots of losses:

- 2nd to Lazar
- Futures for Hamonic

etc.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
41 KHL games this season with 9 points as a 20 year old D...you could do worse. You could do worse.. anyone seen him play?
I've never seen him play but one has to assume that plenty of NHL scouts have. I wouldn't get too excited. He was drafted 205th out of 217 players drafted in 2020, in his 3rd year of eligibility in the NHL draft.
Chances are likely between slim and none that he'll ever play in the NHL

But I guess Treliving wants to get the important stuff done and over with before Monday's trade deadline.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Flames likely to be quiet at the trade deadline
Treliving is open to anything but the deals he wants to do typically wait until the offseason
Flames are taking calls and received interest on Rittich
Been more quiet on Ryan and lower priced pending UFAs -Sureloss

Exciting times. I really hope that the deals he wants to do don't involve swapping out our guys who aren't good enough for different guys who also aren't good enough then running it back next year. But knowing the Flames that's probably exactly what it means.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Isn't he like 6'7? Another Falkovsky type of dude? Or am I misremembering?

EDIT: Misremembered. But a big Russian dman type due.

A bizarre complaint that some other posters have is that Treliving is selling players at a loss. Who? He's basically sold everyone who was a key piece at a gain/heist and the main, most valuable player he lost on was basically Brodie who walked in UFA after a failed Kadri trade.

- Russell
- Hudler
- Glencross
- Ferland
- Fox (though Fox kept rising in value after traded)
- Dougie (IMO value stayed unchanged after trade)
- Baertschi for a 2nd (Andersson)

The main roster player loss I can truly think of is Granlund for Shinkaruk where the Canucks got way more NHL games out of Shinkaruk or Kulak (our 8th dman) for stuff to shore up a super injured AHL team.

That and he turned lots of nothings into something:

- Knight to Shore
- Kanzig to Lack to Prout
- Sieloff to Chiasson

etc.

Futures, sure, lots of losses:

- 2nd to Lazar
- Futures for Hamonic

etc.

yeah he turns a lot of small wins into one colossal loss called the Calgary Flames...wizardry

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Move Giordano now in Ray Bourque type deal. Gio gets his chances at a cup and the Flames get a culture change and futures. Will be much harder to move him in the off season when Seattle has a pile of surplus defencemen available.

Oh and move Bennett to some team desperate for playoff help.

Move Monahan for whatever you can get in the off season.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Move Giordano now in Ray Bourque type deal. Gio gets his chances at a cup and the Flames get a culture change and futures. Will be much harder to move him in the off season when Seattle has a pile of surplus defencemen available.

Oh and move Bennett to some team desperate for playoff help.

Move Monahan for whatever you can get in the off season.
Moving Gio would be difficult now due to having a year left actually

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah, if Gio is being moved it's either 'cause Seattle is taking him (lol, they'll take Tanev if both are available) or next trade deadline when he is a rental.

Hoping that if Gaudreau and/or Monahan, etc. get traded for 1sts its in '22 or '23 and they ain't protected, or if they are just top 5 protection. Ain't no one got time for '21 firsts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, if Gio is being moved it's either 'cause Seattle is taking him (lol, they'll take Tanev if both are available) or next trade deadline when he is a rental.

Hoping that if Gaudreau and/or Monahan, etc. get traded for 1sts its in '22 or '23 and they ain't protected, or if they are just top 5 protection. Ain't no one got time for '21 firsts.

The last time we hitched our wagon to a mega draft, we ended up with 2 busts and a a guy everyone is excited to shoot into the sun :laugh:

Flames luck right? 2013 was suppose to be a huge draft... of the 30 players selected in the first round, only 5 of them played less than 50 games in the NHL. Flames had 4 of them within their organization at one point of time :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::help::help::help::help:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The only thing that sunk Tre was he didn't acquire enough 2013 former 1st rounders

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The last time we hitched our wagon to a mega draft, we ended up with 2 busts and a a guy everyone is excited to shoot into the sun :laugh:

Flames luck right? 2013 was suppose to be a huge draft... of the 30 players selected in the first round, only 5 of them played less than 50 games in the NHL. Flames had 4 of them within their organization at one point of time :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::help::help::help::help:

That 2013 draft was so overhyped because of so many NHL ready prospects. Yeah except those NHL ready guys were the only ones that were any good. Outside the top 10 that draft is terrible for the most part. 2014 was much deeper throughout the first round and that draft was supposedly weak going in because no NHL ready prospects.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I can’t believe sone people don’t like Button. He’s an excellent scout. One of the best in the league. His mid-to late round picks have been better than anyone else. Look at what Adam Fox is doing this year.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I can’t believe sone people don’t like Button. He’s an excellent scout. One of the best in the league. His mid-to late round picks have been better than anyone else. Look at what Adam Fox is doing this year.

Apparently our NCAA scout found Fox.

I do agree that Button is a good scout or we have good ones in the system.

Though they are also the same guys who draft Kanzig in the third and other puzzling decisions, like McDonald and not Demko. Hunter Smith, etc. But I am also sure Burke got in their ear and were telling them to draft truculence.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Apparently our NCAA scout found Fox.

I do agree that Button is a good scout or we have good ones in the system.

Though they are also the same guys who draft Kanzig in the third and other puzzling decisions, like McDonald and not Demko. Hunter Smith, etc. But I am also sure Burke got in their ear and were telling them to draft truculence.

yeah those were bad but that was not a button style draft. I look at players like Wolf, Poirier, Francis, Mangiapane, Pettersen, Ruzicka, Phillips. He seems to find guys with a chance in the late rounds when most people are throwing #%*} at a wall and hoping it sticks.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Button should be one of the only things that remains after this offseason on the hockey ops side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad