Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have had this thought stuck in my mind for a while.

From the Kadri situation, we know that the management is looking fir a top 6 center, do you guys think that sometime during the season, the team will go for a top 6 center?
No. Without Valimaki we don't have the assets on the backend to make such a move any more and for us to make such a move, with futures we'd need to accrue a large amount of cap space, which we cannot do without shedding cap early in the season.

Reactions: viper0220

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I have had this thought stuck in my mind for a while.

From the Kadri situation, we know that the management is looking fir a top 6 center, do you guys think that sometime during the season, the team will go for a top 6 center?
I think Treliving desperately wants another center. But things are just too tight right now with the cap. I think if Stone and Yelesin look like comfortable NHLers this season, we might move Brodie/Hamonic and Jankowski/pick at the deadline

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm sure they'll keep an eye out in case something happens. If there's something that make sense, maybe they go for it but it's not likely given how hard it is to make substantial changes during the season.

So in the meantime, they'll try in house options in Bennett and/or Lindholm. And if those work out, they may not have to do anything at all. Otherwise, they'll try again in the summer if it's still a weak point.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I wouldn't be upset at another C/RW type player. If we can get a right-shot C to play RW with one of either Bennet or Backlund to do for that line what Lindholm does for Monahan (they each take strong-side faceoffs) I would be thrilled. It would fill a need (a RW), and is insurance (it's never a bad thing to have someone else who can play C and take faceoffs).

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I wouldn't be upset at another C/RW type player. If we can get a right-shot C to play RW with one of either Bennet or Backlund to do for that line what Lindholm does for Monahan (they each take strong-side faceoffs) I would be thrilled. It would fill a need (a RW), and is insurance (it's never a bad thing to have someone else who can play C and take faceoffs).

I totally agree with this, someone who can play both C and RW, would be very nice. I don't know why my mind always comes to Jack Roslovic.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I totally agree with this, someone who can play both C and RW, would be very nice. I don't know why my mind always comes to Jack Roslovic.

I think there are a couple trades here for Calgary and Winnipeg that could help both teams.

Gaudreau & Brodie for Laine & Roslovic- While Winnipeg get s the 2 best players today Calgary gets a sniper and an emerging C/RW. Winnipeg upgrades on LW and RD. Where Winnipeg suffers a little Brodie is a UFA at the end of the season. With Byfuglien's future in question this allows Winnipeg to re-sign Brodie.

Calgary gains from this trade by upgrading significantly on RW. Calgary also wins because Roslovic and Laine are both a move to slightly younger players. Laine also brings the sniper Calgary has been looking for.

Brodie, Jankowski & Czarnik for Ehlers &Roslovic- Close trade to call on who is the better player Ehlers or Brodie but the move again bolsters the RW for Calgary while giving Winnipeg a #1RD Center Ice depth and a spare part in Czarnik that can be replaced in the press box by Rinaldo.

Personally I like the Gaudreau trade better for Calgary.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think the Gaudreau deal is bad without Brodie included I don’t see how it makes us better especially with Brodie included.

Laine is not a great fit for our team without Gaudreau to play with and Roslovic is far from a sure top 6 offensive player.

I would make the second deal in a heartbeat but can’t see Winnipeg doing that unless they get real desperate for defenseman but even adding Brodie doesn’t seem like it will change much for them at this point.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think there are a couple trades here for Calgary and Winnipeg that could help both teams.

Gaudreau & Brodie for Laine & Roslovic- While Winnipeg get s the 2 best players today Calgary gets a sniper and an emerging C/RW. Winnipeg upgrades on LW and RD. Where Winnipeg suffers a little Brodie is a UFA at the end of the season. With Byfuglien's future in question this allows Winnipeg to re-sign Brodie.

Calgary gains from this trade by upgrading significantly on RW. Calgary also wins because Roslovic and Laine are both a move to slightly younger players. Laine also brings the sniper Calgary has been looking for.

Brodie, Jankowski & Czarnik for Ehlers &Roslovic- Close trade to call on who is the better player Ehlers or Brodie but the move again bolsters the RW for Calgary while giving Winnipeg a #1RD Center Ice depth and a spare part in Czarnik that can be replaced in the press box by Rinaldo.

I personally like both of them but I don't think Winnipeg does them because they probably want more from our side. There is a trade to be made with Winnipeg.

As the season goes on a team with high expectations, that is not doing too good, with a GM on the hot seat might want to shake things up and we need to be in the middle of it.

If we can get a top 6 forward, that will go a long way. If it involves trading Brodie and the 1st round, if it makes sense, than we need to pull off the trade. Anderson takes Brodie's spot and we get a Defensemen in the trade (a lesser Defense men of course.)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

200.gif

This is terrible. Roslovic is a nice piece but not worth downgrading from Gaudreau to Laine (yes, that is a downgrade) AND throwing in Brodie. Just an awful proposal, I'm sorry. Try again.

Infinitely better and one that the Flames would jump at if given the opportunity but no way does Winnipeg give up on Ehlers, especially with the start he's had. Perhaps closer to the deadline something like this could come to fruition, but not today.

Reactions: Corpus X

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
200.gif

This is terrible. Roslovic is a nice piece but not worth downgrading from Gaudreau to Laine (yes, that is a downgrade) AND throwing in Brodie. Just an awful proposal, I'm sorry. Try again.

Infinitely better and one that the Flames would jump at if given the opportunity but no way does Winnipeg give up on Ehlers, especially with the start he's had. Perhaps closer to the deadline something like this could come to fruition, but not today.

Why would the Elhers trade come to fruition around the deadline when Elhers has a shit ton of points?

I think around the deadline, we see one of Brodie or Hamonic gone, for what? I don't know.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

What would the Jets wants for Roslovic.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Why would the Elders trade come to fruition around the deadline when Elhers has a **** ton of points?

I think around the deadline, we see one of Brodie or Hamonic gone, for what? I don't know.
Forgot to clarify. If Winnipeg is out of contention and feels the need to shake things up (and get a headstart on fixing their defense before the summer), then potentially something like that could be a discussion. But I still agree with you that they're probably not keen to move Ehlers in any shape or form.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Getting rid of one of Hamonic or Brodie for a player like roslovic makes us a worse team this season

Also known Gaudreau hater wants to trade Gaudreau for worse players. Shock

At least it’s not JVR or Parise

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Getting rid of one of Hamonic or Brodie for a player like roslovic makes us a worse team this season

Yeah. Which is why there never seemed to be a consensus idea of a trade with Winnipeg which seemed to make sense.

Hamonic/Brodie for Roslovic+ = Flames not happy. Want a proven RW.
Hamonic/Brodie ++ for Ehlers = Jets not happy. Want to keep Ehlers... and Laine/Connor are off limits.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Is Laine really worse than Johnny? 50 goal guy vs a 100 point guy. Both are incredibly valuable. The only part of the trade where the Flames may lose this year is losing Brodie and getting Roslovic but Valimaki should start skating in about a month. So the question becomes do we trade TJ who we likely will lose at the end of the season for a solid up-and-coming NHL player?

Winnipeg has a surplus of RW's and if Winnipeg was 100% certain of Laine's future with the club they would have signed him to 6-7 years at $8-9M.

I am glad you are sold on Johnny. I am not, so quit being intolerant of other opinions. For the record, again, I don't hate Johnny but rather value him significantly less than many on this board. As I have said Chucky has more value in my mind. If it comes to making a decision of which one Calgary can't afford to lose it is Chucky.

Yeah. Which is why there never seemed to be a consensus idea of a trade with Winnipeg which seemed to make sense.

Hamonic/Brodie ++ for Ehlers = Jets not happy. Want to keep Ehlers... and Laine/Connor are off limits.

To get a quality RD in trade Winnipeg will have to give up real assets that are attractive for other teams. As soon as Byfuglien's situation is figured out Winnipeg will know if they need a #1 RD or a #2. Calgary has both options but it will not come cheap for Winnipeg.

Any #1RD will cost Winnipeg 1 of Liane or Ehlers because their contracts are palatable. Wheeler and Connor have price tags most teams won't want to absorb.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
LINEUP NOTES - 09.10.19

Anderson with Gio, Mangiapane on the 2nd line, Kylington out and Stone in 3rd pair with Brodie. Most Flames hocket I've seen this (pre)season was 2,5 period of the last game, but I really liked Anderson

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Honestly if we park Jankowski in the press box I'm cool with it. Such a useless player outside of the PK and even then he's so lukewarm. Move him for a pick or someone else, Toronto are so lucky they got Kerfoot and Barrie instead of him and Brodie. Would've been a steal and a half for us.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly if we park Jankowski in the press box I'm cool with it. Such a useless player outside of the PK and even then he's so lukewarm. Move him for a pick or someone else, Toronto are so lucky they got Kerfoot and Barrie instead of him and Brodie. Would've been a steal and a half for us.

That would have been a fire-able offence besides handing out massive contracts like candy.
The Barrie/Kadri swap is a good one for both teams. Calgary would have been laughing all the way to the bank had Kadri not nixed the deal.

I still think Calgary's in the market for some extra forward bodies. Gotta think they like their chances at putting together a nice little run... but will need some more help, especially on the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad