Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
weird, every time I try, I just get this:
View attachment 259423

I have no idea why the link is not working for you but if you go to the main Calgary Flames Twitter page, you can find, this is what the title is. It is a 9 min interview.

upload_2019-10-2_11-12-51.png

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
At this point I'm happy with Bennett being a very strong bottom 6 player, who gets spot duty in top 6 as injuries or shakeups happen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That there's a lack of depth, particularly on RW
I think it more of a perceived lack of depth. Lindholm was nearly a point per game last year, Frolik was over half a point per game. If Bennett improves he could push for half a point per game too, and Rieder is a very solid 4th line option. Plus, Czar is a pretty skilled 13th forward.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That there's a lack of depth, particularly on RW
I think pretty much playoff team in the league has a glaring hole somewhere in their line-up. It's a symptom of the salary cap and something I hope they address when it comes to discussing the terms of the new CBA

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Gaudreau-Monahan-?
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
?-Backlund-Frolik

This can also set us up nicely, if someone from within can become a very good top 6 winger, that would really benefit us.

But whatever the case we need to get Sam Bennett into the top 6 because that is where he will succeed.
In this situation we definitely do not need another top 6 winger, since there's no reason to push Backlund down to the 3rd line simply for the sake of it when we already have a 30+ point 3C. If we acquired Kadri, maybe we should push him down, but pushing him down the lineup to try and get Bennett in the top 6 is extremely counterproductive.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it more of a perceived lack of depth. Lindholm was nearly a point per game last year, Frolik was over half a point per game. If Bennett improves he could push for half a point per game too, and Rieder is a very solid 4th line option. Plus, is a pretty skilled 13th forward.
I'd prefer to at least shuffle the lines around so other teams can't focus primarily on shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm because once you get past Tkachuk things start to "meh" out considerably.

Another solid piece in the top six would be lovely, albeit a fever dream with the lack of cap space.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd prefer to at least shuffle the lines around so other teams can't focus primarily on shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm because once you get past Tkachuk things start to "meh" out considerably.

Another solid piece in the top six would be lovely, albeit a fever dream with the lack of cap space.
I think that is the case with most teams. They have a massive hole somewhere, except Tampa.

Boston has little forward depth after their top 4.
Toronto lacks defensive and winger depth.
Colorado lacks defensive depth, has a big drop off after their big 3 and goaltending is a question mark
Carolina lacks offensive depth
San Jose can't play defense
Vegas has a weak back end and no top end offensive stars.
...etc

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I keep expectations as low as heavenly possible. If one thing of being a fan of this for years has taught me, they absolutely break when expectations are put upon them.

Reactions: viper0220

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I keep expectations as low as heavenly possible. If one thing of being a fan of this for years has taught me, they absolutely break when expectations are put upon them.
I literally treat it as entertainment. I use to be die hard, but I can't waste the time anymore. Now I waste it here being a dork.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guess I’m still young and someone hopeful.
Look at it this way, 16 teams make the playoffs, that means only a 6.25% chance of winning, 12.5% of reaching the finals. That is before factoring anything else in and even if the odds look better all it takes is a hot goalie or a offense to knock you out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Look at it this way, 16 teams make the playoffs, that means only a 6.25% chance of winning, 12.5% of reaching the finals. That is before factoring anything else in and even if the odds look better all it takes is a hot goalie or a offense to knock you out.

I’ll give up the spirit of my firstborn for one conference final appearance.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Try having them win a Cup when you are like 9 and thinking it's easy, then you get the Young Guns Era instead....

Least you have seen our team win something... not a great start to life missing the cup win by a few months and have the soilers win a cup... just gross.

I’ll feel a lot better if the Canucks beat the living shit out of Edmonton tonight.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I have had this thought stuck in my mind for a while.

From the Kadri situation, we know that the management is looking fir a top 6 center, do you guys think that sometime during the season, the team will go for a top 6 center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad