Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Dicks out for Kylington yeehaw.

But in all seriousness, even if Bennett broke out as 2C I think that would hurt Backlund a ton as he gets reduced minutes. I think we should look at what happened with Kadri where he is a bonafide 2C and takes the hard matchups, but if there's a better centre (and Bennett is definitely not that centre) that pushes him down the lineup, his numbers will take a hit.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Dicks out for Kylington yeehaw.

But in all seriousness, even if Bennett broke out as 2C I think that would hurt Backlund a ton as he gets reduced minutes. I think we should look at what happened with Kadri where he is a bonafide 2C and takes the hard matchups, but if there's a better centre (and Bennett is definitely not that centre) that pushes him down the lineup, his numbers will take a hit.

At worst I think he is a 2/3 C. Bennett should be playing with Tkachuk consistently. Might raise his compete level. Bennett can be a monster.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
At worst I think he is a 2/3 C. Bennett should be playing with Tkachuk consistently. Might raise his compete level. Bennett can be a monster.
Fair enough. There's a chance he can be a good centre but honestly if the caveat is that he needs to rely on another player to allow him to play higher in the lineup, i.e. Tkachuk, I don't think that's where we should put him. I think if anything he needs to prove he can better distribute the puck in the bottom 6 before being moved up, and at that point it would probably be as a winger. However, Peters has definitely showed that he is the next one up in case of a top 6 injury, at least for now.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Fair enough. There's a chance he can be a good centre but honestly if the caveat is that he needs to rely on another player to allow him to play higher in the lineup, i.e. Tkachuk, I don't think that's where we should put him. I think if anything he needs to prove he can better distribute the puck in the bottom 6 before being moved up, and at that point it would probably be as a winger. However, Peters has definitely showed that he is the next one up in case of a top 6 injury, at least for now.
Bennett has never struck me as someone who is going ‘develop’ in the traditional sense that someone like Backlund did.
I think Bennett is either going to succeed in a top 6 role or he’s not going to succeed anywhere. He’s not going to work his way up the lineup, he’ll just all of a sudden fit somewhere

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Just like when he raised his compete level for a whole two weeks last fall and then disappeared again.

I want Bennett to succeed. But at some point there has to be some realism to the discussions around here too.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just like when he raised his compete level for a whole two weeks last fall and then disappeared again.

I want Bennett to succeed. But at some point there has to be some realism to the discussions around here too.

I agree, a lot of the 'minimum 2C' comments seemed to be based on simply WANTING that to be his floor at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bennett after a good playoff, preseason, after all the talk of the coaches finding him a top 6 role; looking at the depth chart slotted beside Jankowski on the 4th line again.

source.gif

IF we can get a gif pro to get Benny's face on Gob.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-2_9-30-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-2_9-30-19.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Bennett after a good playoff, preseason, after all the talk of the coaches finding him a top 6 role; looking at the depth chart slotted beside Jankowski on the 4th line again.

source.gif

IF we can get a gif pro to get Benny's face on Gob.

I feel the same way.

We need another top 6 center in this situation of the lines(the Kadri deal would have been very good.)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Kadri Bennett
?-Backlund-Frolik

This would have set us up nicely.

Now of course that did not happen (dam you Kadri.)

In this line up situation, we need a top 6 RW.

Gaudreau-Monahan-?
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
?-Backlund-Frolik

This can also set us up nicely, if someone from within can become a very good top 6 winger, that would really benefit us.

But whatever the case we need to get Sam Bennett into the top 6 because that is where he will succeed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad