Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If we can grab Brady Tkachuk somehow, we need to do it.

After the last couple of playoffs, this core may have gotten the chocker label. If we can add a very good impact core player, we must do it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Senators aren't moving Tkachuk, period. A kid like Suzuki would be a good target. Maybe some young depth like Fischer or even take a flyer on Ho Sang.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The Senators aren't moving Tkachuk, period. A kid like Suzuki would be a good target. Maybe some young depth like Fischer or even take a flyer on Ho Sang.

I am not a huge fan of Ho-Sang or that type of player and I hate it when people, including him say he didn't get a fair shake, but considering how desperate we are for a top 6 player and even more so a creative type player if he is available for cheap, and since he was on waivers you would have to think he is, I think he is worth the risk to play with Tkachuk and any center. It likely doesn't work but nothing has at this point and maybe there is a tiny chance that he decides that he wants to stick it to the Isles for bailing on him and actually start giving a crap.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Who needs Brady Tkachuk when you can have Alexis Lafreniere?

inb4 whynotboth.jpeg

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If we can grab Brady Tkachuk somehow, we need to do it.

After the last couple of playoffs, this core may have gotten the chocker label. If we can add a very good impact core player, we must do it.

Outside of the fact there is no way we can grab him I just don't get how it is a need to do move.

He is good not great and if not for his last name I doubt any Flames fan would give him much of a thought. I never understand people's desire to link brothers, especially in this case when they play the same position.

I guess in a fantasy world it is better having him on the team than not but he is not close to the type of player we need and not even close to worth the pieces it would take to get him.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Outside of the fact there is no way we can grab him I just don't get how it is a need to do move.

He is good not great and if not for his last name I doubt any Flames fan would give him much of a thought. I never understand people's desire to link brothers, especially in this case when they play the same position.

I guess in a fantasy world it is better having him on the team than not but he is not close to the type of player we need and not even close to worth the pieces it would take to get him.

He has the potential to be just as good or better than Matthew Tkachuk. The reason I mentioned Brady Tkachuk is because he is stuck in a shitty situation and the management of the other team is dumb.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
But they'e not blanketly dumb though. Melnyk's financial woes has led them to do stupid things but the theme was always about saving money. How would trading an effective ELC accomplish that?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He has the potential to be just as good or better than Matthew Tkachuk. The reason I mentioned Brady Tkachuk is because he is stuck in a ****ty situation and the management of the other team is dumb.

I don’t see the potential to be as good let alone better than his brother. If his name was Brady Johnson he would have been slotted much more appropriately for his skill but because his dad and brother are impressive he gets a big boost.

Ottawa may be cheap and a little dumb but they aren’t dealing Tkachuk without one of Gaudreau, Monahan or the other Tkachuk coming back and even then they likely pass because of the contract situation of those guys.

Maybe you could convince them of a Monahan deal because of the position he plays and him having ties to the area but that is a horrible deal for us.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
He has the potential to be just as good or better than Matthew Tkachuk.
Only potential. Matthew has become a near elite player early on in his career. We will see if Brady gets to that level, but right now I take Matty over Brady hands down.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
How are teams able to move Erik Gudbransons? We can't even move a Frolik.

I know they play different positions but Frolik only makes 0.3 million more, has only 1 year remaining and most importantly isn't awful (usually).

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
How are teams able to move Erik Gudbransons? We can't even move a Frolik.

I know they play different positions but Frolik only makes 0.3 million more, has only 1 year remaining and most importantly isn't awful (usually).

We might not be actively shopping Frolik at the moment, I think Tre is gonna keep him for depth reasons. Unless the season is out of hand or a change is much needed I think he ends the season a Flame.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Only potential. Matthew has become a near elite player early on in his career. We will see if Brady gets to that level, but right now I take Matty over Brady hands down.

Matthew is playing with good players, while Brady is playing with not so good players. Also Brady's team is not as good as Matthew's, which should be taken into account.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Matthew is playing with good players, while Brady is playing with not so good players. Also Brady's team is not as good as Matthew's, which should be taken into account.

Brady wasn't as good when both were younger and isn't in the same ballpark when you watch them play. There are guys on bad teams that can still look good. Brady doesn't look as good or produce as much as Matthew because he isn't close to as good not because of the team he plays on.

Reactions: Janks

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don’t see the potential to be as good let alone better than his brother. If his name was Brady Johnson he would have been slotted much more appropriately for his skill but because his dad and brother are impressive he gets a big boost.

Ottawa may be cheap and a little dumb but they aren’t dealing Tkachuk without one of Gaudreau, Monahan or the other Tkachuk coming back and even then they likely pass because of the contract situation of those guys.

Maybe you could convince them of a Monahan deal because of the position he plays and him having ties to the area but that is a horrible deal for us.

Brady has access to the same training and coaches as Matthew.

Brady and Matthew both had the same seasons in their first seasons and Brady did on a bad team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brady has access to the same training and coaches as Matthew.

Brady and Matthew both had the same seasons in their first seasons and Brady did on a bad team.

What does training and coaches have to do with anything?

If you aren't as talented using the same coaches isn't going to make up the difference.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Brady wasn't as good when both were younger and isn't in the same ballpark when you watch them play. There are guys on bad teams that can still look good. Brady doesn't look as good or produce as much as Matthew because he isn't close to as good not because of the team he plays on.

Everyone has their own opinions, I think with the right team mates, Brady will have the same success as Matthew.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Everyone has their own opinions, I think with the right team mates, Brady will have the same success as Matthew.

I mean anything is possible. Brady at no point has shown that ability but maybe he will take huge strides because.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What does training and coaches have to do with anything?

If you aren't as talented using the same coaches isn't going to make up the difference.

Having good training and good coaches go along way.

In my opinion the talent level is not too far apart.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Having good training and good coaches go along way.

In my opinion the talent level is not too far apart.

But everybody has good training and coaches. Its not like Brady has some secret great training regime that no other NHL could have access to.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
But everybody has good training and coaches. Its not like Brady has some secret great training regime that no other NHL could have access to.

Not everyone has, I was reading a article that offseason training can be expensive. We already know that the Tkachuk is loaded.

I think that if we are somehow able to get Brady, I think he would be a very good player for us.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not everyone has, I was reading a article that offseason training can be expensive. We already know that the Tkachuk is loaded.

I think that if we are somehow able to get Brady, I think he would be a very good player for us.

Not every guy in the NHL has access to good training? Maybe the fringe guys you could argue but when talking about top 6 guys they are all millionaires. It isn't like Keith Tkachuk is some billionaire flying in super trainers for Brady.

Again if he doesn't have the skill to start with he isn't making gains from his super-duper awesome trainers.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not every guy in the NHL has access to good training? Maybe the fringe guys you could argue but when talking about top 6 guys they are all millionaires. It isn't like Keith Tkachuk is some billionaire flying in super trainers for Brady.

Again if he doesn't have the skill to start with he isn't making gains from his super-duper awesome trainers.

Ya it's not like he's the offspring of one of the most premier power forwards in NHL history or anything.

Brady I think is the better athlete and better skater compared to Matty but Matthew thinks the game at a higher level. I'm of the opinion Brains>Brawn when you look at whole careers.

Reactions: Fig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad