Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Vanek would help out the 2PP. Least the guy can shoot and make plays. Seems like a guy Peters would hate though.

Maybe Bill could coax Justin Williams out of retirement for one last hurrah. Great possession forward, shoots right, vet presence could go a long ways for this roster. Could be a great fit with Ryan or Backlund.

Just thinking of dumpster diving options for league minimum.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
For everyone suggesting we just... trade Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski, whoever, what is in it for other teams? Teams aren't looking to do Calgary a favour, if they're taking Frolik, a player who isn't doing anything in Calgary and has a cap hit of 4.3 million, we need to include something to entice them. Trades go both ways.

Same thing for ideas of getting a really good starting goalie for Talbot. This early in the season a team isn't looking to shake-up their own goaltending position by trading their #1 option for a struggling option (but there's a 1st so they better think about it!)

Also with those old proposals for Hall, we have to actually give to get. Stone last year got a top prospect + more. Why would Hall, an MVP caliber player, get any less than that? Or even significantly less? If we're trading for Hall talks start at Kylington + from the Flames perspective (and that's generous) and most likely end up at Valimaki + 1st + a smaller piece for Hall if we want him. We all seriously need to realize that when a teams struggling, teams aren't looking to help each other out, they're trying to make their team better, and getting Bennett, Jankowski, or Frolik won't be big trade chips if they won't make another team better.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
For everyone suggesting we just... trade Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski, whoever, what is in it for other teams? Teams aren't looking to do Calgary a favour, if they're taking Frolik, a player who isn't doing anything in Calgary and has a cap hit of 4.3 million, we need to include something to entice them. Trades go both ways.

It's obvious to me that you've never asked nicely for things.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Deal for Brady Tkachuk. He is struggling. We might be able to get him if we over pay huge. Still think it is worth it.

I was thinking this at work today, we might be able to Grab Brady Tkachuk, if we can convince the gullible Ottawa Senators ownership into believing that they are getting a lot of assets and give them our crap.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Deal for Brady Tkachuk. He is struggling. We might be able to get him if we over pay huge. Still think it is worth it.

I don't think we have a package that can get Tkachuk but even if we could and keep our core intact that is 3 LHS LW's on the roster as 4 of our top 6 guys. None of them have shown any indication that they could or should be moved to RW.

I know that people love Matthew so want to overrate Brady because of it but I just don't see how adding him to our roster makes sense with the guys we already have.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I like the thought of Toffoli to the Flames at the deadline. If he meshes with Backs and chucky Tre could probbaly resign him for 3-4 years with Froliks money (around 4 aav). Second round pick probably gets it done, conditional on performance maybe as hes on a rival team

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think we have a package that can get Tkachuk but even if we could and keep our core intact that is 3 LHS LW's on the roster as 4 of our top 6 guys. None of them have shown any indication that they could or should be moved to RW.

I know that people love Matthew so want to overrate Brady because of it but I just don't see how adding him to our roster makes sense with the guys we already have.

This is a very valid point, we need a top 6 Ceneter or a top 6 RW(I personally believe that a top 6 center will help more.) Too bad Brady is a LW.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I like the thought of Toffoli to the Flames at the deadline. If he meshes with Backs and chucky Tre could probbaly resign him for 3-4 years with Froliks money (around 4 aav). Second round pick probably gets it done, conditional on performance maybe as hes on a rival team

Try for a top 6 center, than go for a RW.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

We don't need tyfolli going for lafrenier

Problem needs fixing now not at tdl

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is a very valid point, we need a top 6 Ceneter or a top 6 RW(I personally believe that a top 6 center will help more.) Too bad Brady is a LW.

I have a sneaking suspicion that both Tkachuks can play both wings.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I have a sneaking suspicion that both Tkachuks can play both wings.
You mean like both of them regularly did before getting drafted, and that the main reason they're both considered LW's is because they both shoot left?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You mean like both of them regularly did before getting drafted, and that the main reason they're both considered LW's is because they both shoot left?

I don't really see what the big deal is shifting around players to different wings to be honest with you. It's not like table hockey where the guy can only go one way.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don't really see what the big deal is shifting around players to different wings to be honest with you. It's not like table hockey where the guy can only go one way.

Receiving/making passes on your backhand. How you set up for the breakout in the d-zone. Dominant guys don’t have a problem with it in juniors but if you need an extra half second to adjust for a pass that makes a huge difference in the NHL

That’s not to say Matty isn’t able to play the right side, it just isn’t as simple as you’re making it out to be

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Receiving/making passes on your backhand. How you set up for the breakout in the d-zone. Dominant guys don’t have a problem with it in juniors but if you need an extra half second to adjust for a pass that makes a huge difference in the NHL

That’s not to say Matty isn’t able to play the right side, it just isn’t as simple as you’re making it out to be
I agree with you here, but in the case of Matthew (I know Brady has some experience, but not sure how much), he has full seasons of experience on the RW. It makes things a lot easier to transition, even at the NHL level. That said, I definitely think Matty is probably better as a LW, but if we got another high end LW (like Brady), he could adapt well enough to still be our second best RW (after Lindholm).

There are also some players who arguably do better on their off side (Brodie, Frolik, Neal though not last year, are all good examples of this). Some players, just struggle to adapt to it (Mangiapane, Bennett, though both are still young and have limited time on that side).

Reactions: Deen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad