Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The idea that just because a team has made bad trades in the past means we can swoop in somehow and take their best player is baffling. Imagine if people began suggesting we trade Gaudreau for Hathaway + Beagle + Ho-Sang and a first just because we traded for Lucic or traded for Stajan. There's bad trades but there can be justification from both sides for most trades. Almost any deal involving Tkachuk to Calgary does not make sense from the Senators from any perspective and this idea of re-uniting the tkachuk brothers can't be discussed seriously.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The idea that just because a team has made bad trades in the past means we can swoop in somehow and take their best player is baffling. Imagine if people began suggesting we trade Gaudreau for Hathaway + Beagle + Ho-Sang and a first just because we traded for Lucic or traded for Stajan. There's bad trades but there can be justification from both sides for most trades. Almost any deal involving Tkachuk to Calgary does not make sense from the Senators from any perspective and this idea of re-uniting the tkachuk brothers can't be discussed seriously.

I mean if we offer something like two firsts + Dube + Valiamaki I think they take a look at it.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Hola my friends!

I just wanted to stop by and see what the Leafs could potentially offer to pry Hammer out of Calgary.

Cheers!

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hola my friends!

I just wanted to stop by and see what the Leafs could potentially offer to pry Hammer out of Calgary.

Cheers!

I don't see much chance that the Flames deal him for anything other than an overpayment. As much as some fans dislike him we don't have a replacement and both the coach and Gm seem to be a fan.

Reactions: Hustlr

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't see much chance that the Flames deal him for anything other than an overpayment. As much as some fans dislike him we don't have a replacement and both the coach and Gm seem to be a fan.

And just like with brouwer, Neal, Stone, Smith... that’ll only work to our gm’s and team’s detriment in the end.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
And just like with brouwer, Neal, Stone, Smith... that’ll only work to our gm’s and team’s detriment in the end.

He's not as bad as those guys, that is the Lucic role this year, but we don't have any other option at this point. I would like to see him on the 3rd pairing as that is where he would be best at this point but I don't want to see Stone or Anderson moved up to that 2nd pairing as that is a much worse option.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't if I'd laugh or cry if BT resigns him to a big contract

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't if I'd laugh or cry if BT resigns him to a big contract

I can't see it happening.

We won't have the cap space to spend on a 2nd pairing defenseman and you have to think at this point Treliving would take a very cautious approach to FAs of that age.

I also think that Hamonic is one of the few guys who are willing to take a lesser deal to play somewhere he wants and Calgary is likely one of those places.

Reactions: DFF

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames can't really afford to trade a defencemen at this point in time, at least not without another one coming back.

But for fun, I dunno, something around Kapanen sounds nice. Say, Hamonic+Jankowski for Kapanen+Holl.

To be honest though, I'd probably give him away for a lot less if it meant Treliving not signing him to a longterm anchor deal.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames can't really afford to trade a defencemen at this point in time, at least not without another one coming back.

But for fun, I dunno, something around Kapanen sounds nice. Say, Hamonic+Jankowski for Kapanen+Holl.

To be honest though, I'd probably give him away for a lot less if it meant Treliving not signing him to a longterm anchor deal.
They only need a decent bottom pairing back cause that is all hamonic is.... BT was raped by the isles

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's not as bad as those guys, that is the Lucic role this year, but we don't have any other option at this point. I would like to see him on the 3rd pairing as that is where he would be best at this point but I don't want to see Stone or Anderson moved up to that 2nd pairing as that is a much worse option.

Stone I can absolutely agree with you on... not as sure he’s significant better (if at all) than Andy at this point though.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They only need a decent bottom pairing back cause that is all hamonic is.... BT was raped by the isles

Snow did some good work in the end against the Alberta GMs. Who knows what he could’ve done if he applied that to every move he made lol.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Stone I can absolutely agree with you on... not as sure he’s significant better (if at all) than Andy at this point though.

I think Hamonic is better defensively, Anderson offensively. I don’t think Hanifin and Anderson are a great match though as Anderson has some real bad decisions ions and Hanifin has been better this year going forward and taking risks. I don’t want to take that out of his game to cover for Anderson.

I think Valimaki-Anderson could be a real good pair going forward. It really sucks Valimaki got hurt.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Hanifin and Andersson are going to be kept around long-term, it makes sense to pair them together moving forward and move Hamonic down to the third pair

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If Hanifin and Andersson are going to be kept around long-term, it makes sense to pair them together moving forward and move Hamonic down to the third pair

And really having Hamonic on the third pair should allow Kylington to roam a bit more and do his thing

I know Hanifin-Andersson have been bad in limited viewing but eventually you have to let them try and work it out

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ya it's not like he's the offspring of one of the most premier power forwards in NHL history or anything.

Brady I think is the better athlete and better skater compared to Matty but Matthew thinks the game at a higher level. I'm of the opinion Brains>Brawn when you look at whole careers.

I've always been thinking that Brady would be good, but there'd be a gap between Matthew and Brady. Not as bad as the gap between Nylander, but I was surprised by the way Brady plays. He looks like a Keith lite out there as if he has learned the game in a carbon copy Keith way and I'm going to immediately eat crow thinking he'd be a fringe top line player and mostly a damn good middle 6 player. Matthew on the other hand is a totally different style and I agree his style perhaps will work better longevity wise, but it also seems like his game is his own design vs a pure carbon copy of a specific player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Reider was waived today. Perhaps more moves are coming.
Isles fan visiting because we're speculating on our board that we could claim him (we've got a lot of F injuries right now at both the NHL and AHL levels and are fast approaching "put a D on the wing" time).

There's also a bit of speculation about a possible JHS deal if Reider passes through waivers. Not sure what you all think of any of this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad