Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why don't we just use Kylington as our missing forward? Kids got INSANE offensive instincts, put him with Chucky-Backs and watch them tear it up!

I seem to recall reading a scouting report that said Kylington played C when he first started, but then was converted to D and never looked back.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This team needs a shakeup in a BIG way...

Janks + Frolik + Bennett .... what can that fetch us?
So, your plan is to trade 3 guys for 1...? Who fills the other holes? Even if Dube were ready (he's not), that would leave us guys like Lomberg, Rinaldo, Robinson & Froese as our injury call-ups.

What this team needs is more time, it's been 11 games. You don't make big moves in a panic, that's how you trade Doug Gilmour for spare parts.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
So, your plan is to trade 3 guys for 1...? Who fills the other holes? Even if Dube were ready (he's not), that would leave us guys like Lomberg, Rinaldo, Robinson & Froese as our injury call-ups.

What this team needs is more time, it's been 11 games. You don't make big moves in a panic, that's how you trade Doug Gilmour for spare parts.

Also there’s a huge misconception that value is purely additive. 3 mediocre pieces don’t net you a great piece. Adding a 3rd round pick in there won’t help either

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also there’s a huge misconception that value is purely additive. 3 mediocre pieces don’t net you a great piece. Adding a 3rd round pick in there won’t help either
I also don't think the bottom 6 is as big of a problem as some are making it out to be either, they are always the first whipping boys. WHile I agree they need to be better, so does everyone else.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It’s been more than 11 games, the team wasn’t great in the 2nd half of last tear and the play-offs.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Maybe an older 2nd line FA.

I doubt many teams giving us what we are looking for would have much interest in Frolik.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Honestly nothing. Bennett might have some value. Janks is maybe worth a 3rd or 4th pick, Bennett a 2nd and Frolik wouldn’t be claimed off waivers.

You might get Bjugstad and McCann for a package like that.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You just don't get many shots at free agency with the cap and Tre completely fumbled with Neal. Now we can't add another significant piece without chewing off our own leg. That cap room was absolutely crucial to be used effectively for the team making the next step and now here we are.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I didn't necessarily mean all in the same trade, should have specified that we could move them for either in deals with each other, OR in separate trades.

maybe struggling young player(Bennett) for another struggling young player.
Fro NEEDS to be moved, dude is just completely checked out atm. Altho I dont think a move with him happens until near TDL when teams can take on his cap hit a bit more easily.
Janks could do with a change of scenery too.

we just need some sort of shakeup to make the team realize 'hey you guys need to be better'. Idk why this team always sucks so much in October but it needs to stop

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly nothing. Bennett might have some value. Janks is maybe worth a 3rd or 4th pick, Bennett a 2nd and Frolik wouldn’t be claimed off waivers.

You might get Bjugstad and McCann for a package like that.

Disagree. I think if you strip out Frolik, Janko + Bennett to a bunch of teams gets you an interesting package without major looming bust potential. Even a solid prospect is a good trade as the move would make room for someone like Dube to make the jump full time and we still get approximately $4 mil less ELC cap space.

In an even more insane move. After we ship out salary, Matt Stajan at league minimum to be a 13th forward and centre depth!

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Giving up a future asset? Toronto had to give up a 1st round pick to dump 1 year of Marleau. For Neal we ware looking at a minimum 2-3 first round picks. As for the buyout, ownership would never approve one that large or that would be on the cap for 8 years. Trade was the only possible option for dumping him.

Tre shopped Neal for months and yet still settled on this deal, that should tell you something.

Might I suggest using rational and logic thought next time.
Not interested in debating with someone who thinks making assumptions about the trade market and ownership is "logical" or "rational." Think what you want.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Bennett for Fiala struggling players from the 2014 draft. I don't think you have to move Bennett though.

Jankowski for a league minimum player, he doesn't provide anything more than a guy you can find for 700k or even Alan Quine.

Frolik for literally anything, dudes cooked and hindering our ability to make roster moves

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jankowski for Ho-Sang

Yuck. That's bad value for Janko and Ho Sang passed through waivers for a reason.

I'd rather try use assets to shore up the goalie position. Maybe someone like Markstrom.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yuck. That's bad value for Janko and Ho Sang passed through waivers for a reason.

I'd rather try use assets to shore up the goalie position. Maybe someone like Markstrom.
What assets are you trading to Vancouver for their No1 goaltender who is playing great right now?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Free agent class of 2020 looks terrible for centers. Only name that sticks out is Pageau

Do the Panthers need defense? Could we trick them into doing Hamonic+ for Hoffman

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What assets are you trading to Vancouver for their No1 goaltender who is playing great right now?

Janko + Talbot + 1st for Markstrom and minor +?

IMO, I've been poking at the Markstrom idea for a few years. He's been getting decent results in Vancouver behind that tire fire of a d corps. I don't think Markstrom is going to be elite, but for sure he's going to be reliable. The price above is steep, but it's been way too long since we have had reliable goal tending and it's been a serious Achilles heel of this roster for a long time now. IMO, it's time to pony up for someone we can hitch our horse to in a 1A/1B hot hand platoon. A Rittich/Markstrom tandem is a slightly above average tandem league wise IMO and the cap hit and contract duration makes sense.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Janko + Talbot + 1st for Markstrom and minor +?

IMO, I've been poking at the Markstrom idea for a few years. He's been getting decent results in Vancouver behind that tire fire of a d corps. I don't think Markstrom is going to be elite, but for sure he's going to be reliable. The price above is steep, but it's been way too long since we have had reliable goal tending and it's been a serious Achilles heel of this roster for a long time now. IMO, it's time to pony up for someone we can hitch our horse to in a 1A/1B hot hand platoon. A Rittich/Markstrom tandem is a slightly above average tandem league wise IMO and the cap hit and contract duration makes sense.
When are you doing this trade though? Why would Vancouver do this now or any time in the near future? Jankowski has less value than any of their centres. Talbot is on the verge of being washed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
When are you doing this trade though? Why would Vancouver do this now or any time in the near future? Jankowski has less value than any of their centres. Talbot is on the verge of being washed.

Vancouver isn't in a position to compete right now and are technically still rebuilding. Hopefully sooner rather than later/before TDL. They also have Demko waiting to emerge. Janko and Talbot aren't negative value contracts even if they are low value. The 1st is a valuable asset and it's a package worth more than Markstrom, hence the minor add to account for salary and otherwise.

Talbot on the Canucks is also fine because he can get a heavier load and allow Demko to finish development on a reasonable salary. They can also elect to extend him if they want to. Canuck fans have mentioned the trading of Markstrom in the past and apparently cannot afford additional salary to Markstrom due to cap constraints and concerns about Demko in the future. Flames avoid 3 headed goalie monster, move out enough cap for Markstrom, upgrade in net in a contend now move. Vancouver keeps rebuilding with stuff in the pipeline and adds valuable futures for that rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad