Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Taylor Hall?
zzFQ17j.gif

Literally the last thing the organization needs is an expensive, injury prone left shot left winger.

Yup.
Just a league MVP. Gross.

Calgary just needs better players. Pretty simple. Put Hall on a team where he isn't the best forward by a country mile; and you'll have some magic.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yup.
Just a league MVP. Gross.

Calgary just needs better players. Pretty simple. Put Hall on a team where he isn't the best forward by a country mile; and you'll have some magic.
Biggest problem with Hall is that he often endangers himself by playing recklessly. Could you imagine down the stretch if Hall picks up a long-term injury by trying to put some guy through the boards at the same time that Monahan is gritting through 3527 injuries that turn him into the tin man.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I vehemently disagree. You need a balanced team and you don't achieve that by simply adding the biggest names regardless of fit. It's not a NHL 2020.

Who does Hall replace on the powerplay? Or are you paying Hall 11M to play second fiddle? It's real easy to say Tkachuk and Gaudreau can move over to right wing but what if they don't work? And moreover, the team could have already shifted them over to play Bennett or Mangiapane there or move Lindholm to centre but they're not.

And frankly, Hall simply isn't worth the 11M+ he's likely going to get in free agency. He's an injury prone reckless player that won't age well.

The Flames have two actual needs in a top-nine centre and two or three right wingers (all preferably shooting right). And Treliving's recent history suggests he's aware of this with his attempted Kadri and Stone deals.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Biggest problem with Hall is that he often endangers himself by playing recklessly. Could you imagine down the stretch if Hall picks up a long-term injury by trying to put some guy through the boards at the same time that Monahan is gritting through 3527 injuries that turn him into the tin man.

I honestly think you could roll him back though.
In Jersey, and prior in Edmonton; this guy had to do it all for these teams because he was their best player by HUGE margin.

In Calgary, give him Chucky and Backs... they'll have the puck all night, and all he'll have to do it just score non-stop getting the puck fed to him all night by those two. Add in a PP that would give people fits (and a second unit now, that would actually have a star on it).

There's no downside to me. If the price is right to acquire, and he's not asking 13M a year; I'd do it every day.
These kind of debates remind me of back years ago, reading hockey boards about finding a centre for Iggy... and it'd be like "I'd do Moss, Chucko and a first for centre X" and guys would be like "WHAT?! that's wayyy too much!!!" At the end of the day, if you're getting the best player in the deal, the likelihood of the pieces you send out being even hitting close to what that star is highly improbable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I vehemently disagree. You need a balanced team and you don't achieve that by simply adding the biggest names regardless of fit. It's not a NHL 2020.

Who does Hall replace on the powerplay? Or are you paying Hall 11M to play second fiddle? It's real easy to say Tkachuk and Gaudreau can move over to right wing but what if they don't work? And moreover, the team could have already shifted them over to play Bennett or Mangiapane there or move Lindholm to centre but they're not.

And frankly, Hall simply isn't worth the 11M+ he's likely going to get in free agency. He's an injury prone reckless player that won't age well.

The Flames have two actual needs in a top-nine centre and two or three right wingers (all preferably shooting right). And Treliving's recent history suggests he's aware of this with his attempted Kadri and Stone deals.

Apparently Vegas is just playing NHL 2020. Because all they do is add the best players they can, around every turn, every year so far. They're only the favourite to win our division by just about everyone, and one HELL of a team.

If a guy like Tkachuk or Gaudreau can't play RW; it'd be shocking. Both guys have done it in the past, and Matthew's even said something along the lines of 'we're professionals in the NHL, we can take a pass on the backhand."
The reason Calgary hasn't moved Lindy down yet is the fact no one can pick up that slack he leaves on the top line. Bennett and Mangi have been near replacement level. You can't replace a damn solid player with two far inferior players.

On PP1? Just move Lindy to PP2. He's a great right handed shot, but Hall is an elite player; he can pick up that handedness slack easily. Plus that second unit then actually has a finisher on it with Lindy; which improves it as well (because it's been garbage for a long time).

Our needs are to get better. To get better players. I don't care about handedness. If you can add a league MVP and lose a few pieces that are replacement level; you do it 10/10 times.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Assuming you mean in terms of the Flames sending a defenseman their way (Hamonic or Brodie) and getting a forward in return... with all due respect to them, trading a forward away when they already have enough trouble scoring goals is likely the last thing the Coyotes want to do.

Now, if they were sending Kumper our way, I'd listen....

In theory a guy like Chayka would have no interest in Hamonic. Maybe he’d overpay for Brodie though

Honestly I have no idea what their plan is outside of trying to sign Matthews in 5 years

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Apparently Vegas is just playing NHL 2020. Because all they do is add the best players they can, around every turn, every year so far. They're only the favourite to win our division by just about everyone, and one HELL of a team.

If a guy like Tkachuk or Gaudreau can't play RW; it'd be shocking. Both guys have done it in the past, and Matthew's even said something along the lines of 'we're professionals in the NHL, we can take a pass on the backhand."
The reason Calgary hasn't moved Lindy down yet is the fact no one can pick up that slack he leaves on the top line. Bennett and Mangi have been near replacement level. You can't replace a damn solid player with two far inferior players.

On PP1? Just move Lindy to PP2. He's a great right handed shot, but Hall is an elite player; he can pick up that handedness slack easily. Plus that second unit then actually has a finisher on it with Lindy; which improves it as well (because it's been garbage for a long time).

Our needs are to get better. To get better players. I don't care about handedness. If you can add a league MVP and lose a few pieces that are replacement level; you do it 10/10 times.
So have five left shots on the top unit powerplay? Yeah, that won't be a problem at all.

As for Vegas, you realize their additions actually have a role, right? Stastny, Pacioretty, Stone, notice how they all play different positions. I know, mind blowing that you're allowed to actually do that.

Honestly, I pity whatever team is dumb enough to give Hall 11M+ on a longterm deal. He's not remotely worth it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Is it a long term acquisition though? I'd rather not being going through what Toronto is/will be going through with depth problems in the near future personally.

If I had a choice between Hall, and say two more 2nd line players via other means that we can lock down for some term, I'd sure be tempted, especially if one is a center.

I don't think Taylor Hall is going to be worth his contract. I expect him to be going the route of Jamie Benn sooner than later. Would I love his caliber of player on our roster? Sure. I just don't see a way we fit his next contract on this roster without some serious moves or sheer black magic by Treliving.

Reactions: viper0220

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
True, but he'd still be a fit in the top six as a LW because it'd have to be someone like Gaudreau going the other way.
That makes it much, much worse as far as I see. Gaudreau at 6.75M for two years after this is one of the best deals in the league. Whereas Hall is eight months away from commanding 11M+. At best, Hall and Gaudreau are roughly equal meaning the team's adding 4M+ in cap hit for nothing. Bad deal.

Now, if theoretically Gaudreau (or Tkachuk) were to be moved in a separate deal (e.g. for a high end right shot right winger or centre) and then Hall was signed as a free agent, that at least would make some sense. But Hall's contract would still be an issue and would likely mean a loss of depth in addition to both Brodie and Hamonic leaving. Then the question becomes, is the team better off with quality depth or becoming top heavy like the Leafs or Oilers.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If we're trading for Hall at the deadline why the hell is Gaudreau going the other way? You're not giving up Gaudreau for a rental no matter who that rental is. And no a sign a trade won't happen, it almost never happens in the NHL.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
What about going after Toffoli. Been mentioned before, but he'd fit nicely on the 2nd line RW, and is a right shot.

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Tyler Toffoli
Andrew Mangiapane - Sam Bennett - Michael Frolik
Milan Lucic - Derek Ryan - Tobias Rieder/Czarnik

What to give up? I do not know. Jankowski+picks+?

edit: I see he's a ufa after the season? don't really like going after rentals... but maybe we could sign him if we wanted after moving Frolik/Brodie etc.

Reactions: Corpus X

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Taylor Hall? Just how many resources are we allocating to the LW position? There are much more pressing needs. 2RW being the obvious one, a producing centerman being the somewhat less obvious need.

Wonder what it would take to get the Wild to cut bait with Eric Staal. He's been bad to start there. We don't have the cap really without sending Frolik the other way, and I don't know if that's a good idea considering the lack of RHS among our forwards. Just looking to get some goals out of the C position and he's only a year removed from scoring 40. Henrik Borgtstrom out of Florida might be interesting if they'd be willing to take Hamonic or Brodie. Not sure why but I like him.

If we're dumpster diving for cheap scoring depth options I don't see why we wouldn't look at Vanek. Trash defensively but still produced at over a .5 ppg rate last season. Doesn't have a contract and would probably we willing to take league minimum. This is really only if the scoring depth issues continue into November.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we're trading for Hall at the deadline why the hell is Gaudreau going the other way? You're not giving up Gaudreau for a rental no matter who that rental is. And no a sign a trade won't happen, it almost never happens in the NHL.
Because Gaudreau next year will essentially be a rental. In his final year, he has a 25 team NTC. So unless Treliving likes his chances of re-signing him, he'll very likely get traded this offseason.

If we make a play for Hall, they'll ask for Gaudreau, not a bunch of nickels and dimes that add up to a dollar

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They can ask for Gaudreau calibre player all they want, they'll never get it. Look at what Stone, a better all around player, got last year; a top prospect, bottom six forward and a 2nd round pick. And that was with Stone agreeing to an extension.

The equivalent from the Flames would be Valimaki, Jankowski and a 2nd. Gaudreau doesn't and shouldn't enter into the equation at all.

I do like the idea of Toffoli though. Seems to alternate between good and bad years with this season looking like one of the good ones.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So have five left shots on the top unit powerplay? Yeah, that won't be a problem at all.

As for Vegas, you realize their additions actually have a role, right? Stastny, Pacioretty, Stone, notice how they all play different positions. I know, mind blowing that you're allowed to actually do that.

Honestly, I pity whatever team is dumb enough to give Hall 11M+ on a longterm deal. He's not remotely worth it.

The passive aggressiveness of this has you talking to managers all over the place Karen :laugh::laugh:

I honestly don’t care about handedness, it’s blown out of proportion in this league as is. All I care about it having two of the top 10 offensive players in the entire league playing on the same team.

I’d rather spend the assets and 10-11M on an all star than spending similar assets and having two lesser pieces.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The passive aggressiveness of this has you talking to managers all over the place Karen :laugh::laugh:

I honestly don’t care about handedness, it’s blown out of proportion in this league as is. All I care about it having two of the top 10 offensive players in the entire league playing on the same team.

I’d rather spend the assets and 10-11M on an all star than spending similar assets and having two lesser pieces.

Okay, Harold.

Anyway, agree to disagree on handedness. It's becoming more and more important in a league where every edge matters. And I'd rather have two players that address needs than one redundant, overpaid and injury prone player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we got Hall, Bennett and Frolik and probably Kylington are going the other way. And you do that 10/10 times. We already screwed up by missing on Stone, we should 100% target Hall and get him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If we got Hall, Bennett and Frolik and probably Kylington are going the other way. And you do that 10/10 times. We already screwed up by missing on Stone, we should 100% target Hall and get him.

we didn’t screw up. Maloney seemed to think we had a deal in place. Vegas ponied up big time and squirrelled him out from under us.

Same issue with Kadri trade. deal blew up outside of Treliving’s control.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
we didn’t screw up. Maloney seemed to think we had a deal in place. Vegas ponied up big time and squirrelled him out from under us.

Same issue with Kadri trade. deal blew up outside of Treliving’s control.
No, Treliving refused to put Valimaki or Andersson on the table, that is why Vegas got Stone. The only rumors we had a deal in place were from that reddit "insider"

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Both can be true. We may not have been willing to put Valimaki or Andersson on the table, but we may have had the best offer before Vegas stepped up theirs. Truth is there is no way to know.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both can be true. We may not have been willing to put Valimaki or Andersson on the table, but we may have had the best offer before Vegas stepped up theirs. Truth is there is no way to know.
He said there was a deal in place, not that we had the best offer. The only claim of a deal being in place was from that fake insider. I don't doubt we were in the mix until Vegas put Brannstrom was put on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad