Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Soft after the Avs series yes. It was a big part of why we brought in Lucic.

I also seem to recall reading something that said hits increases 30% during the playoffs to as high as 46 hits per game and many of those hits are more devastating than regular season hits.

I agree in some sense. We saw ourselves wilt against the Avs, and we saw the Jets wilt against our onslaught. We do have to find a balance and I don't know if it's a great idea to rely on Lucic for most of our hits. The guy definitely was damn solid (minus stupid penalties) in the playoffs though.

Jankowski should be in every trade offer to Van. If Weisbrod doesn't take him he's a darn hypocrite.

Yes. I didn't think of it that way, but play his ego!

Jankowski+ rights for Markstrom's rights!

Soft doesn't mean we aren't hitting. To me it means we are easily separated from the puck or that players avoid corners or the slot and deliver excuse me checks.

From what I've read about Phillips (I really haven't seen him play a lot) is that he is tenacious and not timid about going into the hard areas. Combined with his speed and skill, I'd bring him up and put him in. 1st line, 4th line, I don't care.

Speaking of the 4th line. Where is it written that they only play 10 minutes or less in a game just to provide energy? My philosophy is that you ice 4 very good lines and skate the other guys into the ground.

Phillips based on what I've seen is basically comparable to Mangiapane. I'd definitely say he's Mangiapane lite potential though and I think we see him suit up for at least a dozen NHL games, but that potential from a 6th rounder? I would take that all day every day.

We are? I can't see that at all.

Kneeordano, Matthew "rent free" Tkachuk, LOOOCH, Bennett, Olympic diver non Byng deserving Gaudreau, Brad "I'm in on any Edmonton trade to inflate prices" Treliving and tenacity players like Dillon "The homeless man scoring on us" Dube and Yeast mode...

We apparently dirtier than Anaheim and the Canucks combined a from a decade ago. :popcorn:

Add in the idea we wanted Kadri and likely interested in Domi... Soft might be a better way to describe certain fans vs the players on our team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We are? I can't see that at all.

because literally every team in the league has become small and skilled. We are not as goonish as the 2004 Flames. But relative to the daisies the league is composed of now the Flames are definitely one of the most physical.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Don't want Pietrangelo. He's gonna be too expensive and it just screams Bouwmeester scenario to me!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We're the the 7th shortest team and the 8th lightest. While we have a handful of guys that try to play a physical style and a few guys that hurt our powder puff image, we are one of the softest teams in the NHL. The biggest problem is that we also play a nauseatingly slow, possession based game. When you're small and you play slow, its a terrible combination.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It checks out.
Calgary could solidify its need for a top pairing Dman for the next half decade in free agency, this happens almost never.

My priority would be Pieterangelo, if it’s clear he’s not in during the courting period, RFA offer sheet for Barzal. After that. Yeah. Dunno.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
It checks out.
Calgary could solidify its need for a top pairing Dman for the next half decade in free agency, this happens almost never.

My priority would be Pieterangelo, if it’s clear he’s not in during the courting period, RFA offer sheet for Barzal. After that. Yeah. Dunno.
they removed the courting period when they re-negotiated the CBA this summer, but yeah they'll probably be able to get a feel of whether or not they have a shot of bringing him here

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If it’s for 9 per or less, I’m into it. If it’s 9.5-10, I don’t do it. That could cripple our franchise if this goes south, we need a stud goalie and we need a cushion for expiring contracts. But if it’s 8-9 per, let’s do it!

8.75mil. 2mil more than Gio who comes off the books in 2 years, which is when Johny and Tkachuk have their contracts expire

Figure out where you’re at then but that’s a number I could live with

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
because literally every team in the league has become small and skilled. We are not as goonish as the 2004 Flames. But relative to the daisies the league is composed of now the Flames are definitely one of the most physical.
There is a difference between being 'thuggish' and being physical. The idea that the Flames are thuggish is absurd.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Ryan should be traded to give us cap room. I like what's he's brought, but in the end he is too soft. We need to capitalize on his value now and not repeat what we did with Stajan.
Either that, or you trade Sean Monahan and keep Ryan to play Center on a higher up line with more offensive player's. This utilizes Ryan to his more optimum capability on his last year of contract. He is a solid f/o guy, with decent 3-zone coverage skills, is still pretty fast/ quick and is a playmaker. His"playmaking" will be more effective with quality finishers. Can always dangle him at TD should he not be producing too well and Flames not winning much.
I believe moving on from Money-man might bring more value back to move forward reset team with certain players stepping up in New roles ( Mangie, Benny, Dubs, even bring Gawdin in and see what he can do? And add youth to acclimate to NHL - M E-P, MPh, A Ruz, M Pop, E Tuuo
Trading Money yo Wpg:
- could net a quality C in Adam Lowry, with physicality and defensive acumen.
- young, still trying to find a spot, way in NHL in Jack Roslovic ( skilled and quick, could find a fit on the Flames, RW or C).
- move up in draft, trading our #19oa for #10 OA this coming draft, could net a top future C or scoring winger or much needed r.h.s. Dman

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just like every year the Flames will be "in on" a bunch of good names and then end up one Carl Soderberg richer.

At least there's hope that Treliving might pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Can you imagine a fan base where they know ownership and GM are looking to basically dismantle and go cap floor and whatnot even before things begin? (ie: Buffalo, Ottawa etc.)

Honestly speaking, assuming Brodie isn't staying, I'd be more interested in seeing if we can pry Tanev out of Vancouver and Gio cap him rather than go overpaid AP... but AP would easily stretch our contention to 2-3 seasons or more (even without Gio) and I bet he and Tkachuk get super tight due to their STL commonality and ties.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
There is a difference between being 'thuggish' and being physical. The idea that the Flames are thuggish is absurd.
When they decide to play that way all game, every game ( only see it in the playoffs for the most part).
Lucic has to play "nasty", period, to be effective anymore. When he is, his line-mates get more free pucks and more room to roam, drive to the net, and further helps result in Lucic himself getting more shots on net, rebou d's, etc.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Don't want Pietrangelo. He's gonna be too expensive and it just screams Bouwmeester scenario to me!
Would rather go hard after Phillipe Myers in Phi. Would probably cost us Johnny G, with alot more than Myers coming back, if trading with Philly tho.
So...?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
For giggles (and now that the Capfriendly simulator thingy works again) I put Pietrangelo in the Flames' lineup to see how bad it looks.
It looks pretty bad.

This lineup puts the Flames just over $81,500,000.

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
calgary_flames.svg

Tkachuk, Matthew
$7,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
calgary_flames.svg

Monahan, Sean
$6,375,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
calgary_flames.svg

Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
calgary_flames.svg

Gaudreau, Johnny
$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
calgary_flames.svg

Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 4
calgary_flames.svg

Mangiapane, Andrew
$3,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
calgary_flames.svg

Lucic, Milan
$5,250,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
calgary_flames.svg

Bennett, Sam
$2,550,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Dubé, Dillon
$778,333
RW, LW
RFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Rieder, Tobias
$850,000
RW, LW
UFA
calgary_flames.svg

Ryan, Derek
$3,125,000
C
UFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Phillips, Matthew
$733,333
C
RFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Quine, Alan
$750,000
C
UFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
calgary_flames.svg

Giordano, Mark
$6,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,500,000
RD
UFA
calgary_flames.svg

Rittich, David
$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Hanifin, Noah
$4,950,000
LD
UFA - 4
calgary_flames.svg

Andersson, Rasmus
$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 6
calgary_flames.svg

Zagidulin, Artyom
$700,000
G
RFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Välimäki, Juuso
$894,166
LD
RFA - 1
calgary_flames.svg

Kylington, Oliver
$1,000,000
edit.svg

LD
RFA
calgary_flames.svg

Mackey, Connor
$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be targeting Tanev over Virtanen TBH. This assuming AP's logical landing spot isn't in Calgary. I'd be fine with giving Markstrom up to 5.25 AAV I think.

I mentioned Tanev to others, they didn’t seem to like the idea but if we’re losing Brodes and Hamonic, he would be a fine replacement. He gets hurt, but he skates well and is good defensively.

On another note, what do guys think about bringing Hammer back on a 2 year deal, 2.75 per?

Reactions: Fig

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I’d definitely do Monahan for dumba. So long as we can move Hanafin for a young top 6. In a dream scenario we can sign Gudas and roll with
Gio-Dumba
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Gudas
Actually not too bad on paper
Coyle is locked in for a reason, Boston native and has finally matured into his expected role. I wouldn't move him for Hanifin. Creates another hole.
I would consider Hanifin to Boston for Debrusk! If we lose/ trade Johnny G or Mangiapane,then Debrusk could fit into 2nd line LW.
I wonder if Chi BHwks would have any interest in Dylan Strome for Hanifin? We could use a New young C on the rise, to push Money, or even move Money for a high pick and a Goalie or decent RHS Dman?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Actually not too bad on paper

I would consider Hanifin to Boston for Debrusk! If we lose/ trade Johnny G or Mangiapane,then Debrusk could fit into 2nd line LW.
I wonder if Chi BHwks would have any interest in Dylan Strome for Hanifin? We could use a New young C on the rise, to push Money, or even move Money for a high pick and a Goalie or decent RHS Dman?

If they moved Gaudreau now they would get a huge haul and I love the idea of Hanifin going back to his hometown even if it did cost DeBrusk. If Dumba was brought in, instantly the trade would work.

Would be kind of cool to have DeBrusk go home to Alberta and Hanifin back to Boston in the same trade.

Reactions: GumbyCan2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad