Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If it was Mittlestadt and the 7th overall where you get one of Raymond, Rossi, Holtz or Drysdale I think it would be very tempting.

If the draft goes the way it’s reported to, Buffalo will pick 7th, since only the top teams can win the lottery.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Rossi
Raymond
Holtz

Buffalo is getting one from that group at 7.

A bit early to write the kid off don't you think? He's another case of a down-trodden team looking for quick answers instead of developing him in the AHL. After Buffalo sent him down earlier this year its looks like he's learning to play.

I've never sought out Sabres games but when I've come across them, I've never seen anything there to Mittlestadt's game. And I'm far from a Monahan cheerleader but at least he's a top 6 player. Right now there's question marks about Mittlestadt's ability to hang around in the league.

He's young but I wouldn't even want him as a throw-in.

Mittelstadt’s struggles were an unintended 2nd order effect of the crappy O’Reilly trade. Botterill thought Mittelstadt could step in and handle 2C duties in the NHL right away. He struggled.

For some unknown reason, he wasn’t sent to the AHL until later in the season this year. He didn’t light up the AHL once he got there, but started to come on late.

I like him as a prospect, but Buffalo needs a 2C now. I think Mittelstadt could use a change of scenery much like Brayden Schenn once did.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If the draft goes the way it’s reported to, Buffalo will pick 7th, since only the top team can win the lottery.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Rossi
Raymond
Holtz

Buffalo is getting one from that group at 7.

Mittelstadt’s struggles were an unintended 2nd order effect of the crappy O’Reilly trade. Botterill thought Mittelstadt could step in and handle 2C duties in the NHL right away. He struggled.

For some unknown reason, he wasn’t sent to the AHL until later in the season this year. He didn’t light up the AHL once he got there, but started to come on late.

I like him as a prospect, but Buffalo needs a 2C now. I think Mittelstadt could use a change of scenery much like Brayden Schenn once did.

That all said:

7th overall, Mittelstadt, Montour (RHD) for Monahan?

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
No, sorry. How about 7th overall, Ullmark, and Mittelstadt?

Edit: Just finished my 1st coffee. Need another add from Buffalo. We'll take Montour too. Why? Monahan is 25 and has been a 30 goal man 3 times already and has had two twenty goal seasons. He's second in points from his 2013 draft class, only behind Nate McKinnon with Barkove behind him. He's on a reasonably priced contract ($6.375M/yr) until 2023.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
no trying to change the deal, but if the draft comes before playoffs, would Calgary accept an unprotected 2021 1st?
I don't think so. They need a guarantee top pick and I think this year 7th is fair.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Is there speculation about Brodie and/or Hamonic resigning? I’m just looking at Calgary’s RHD for next season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Is there speculation about Brodie and/or Hamonic resigning? I’m just looking at Calgary’s RHD for next season.
Nothing but hear-say and rumours. Things like "Brodie might leave because the weather negatively affects his wife's health", and that supposedly "Hamonic turned down extension talks at the beginning of the season". So we'll see how it plays out.

I like Hamonic, but you can see the style he plays has taken a big toll on him, and negatively impacted his play. Brodie may be a bit of a whipping boy, but despite his "airheaded" mistakes that he makes at least one of every game, he has the tools and speed (and the style to keep utilizing those) to make up for many other mistakes, and ultimately still be an impact player for a few more years. If we sign only one (which is likely), I hope it's Brodie. There are also rumours of Pietrangelo being a target this year (which means that Brodie, Hamonic, Gustaffson, and Forbort all definitely leave) but I doubt that happens.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really hope upfront we add Granlund this off-season. He’s such a good playmaker and I think because he had such an off year, he would cost a reasonable amount.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Nothing specific but some light rumblings about both guys. Personally I think they sign TJ @ like 5.5x 5.

I'm Mike and I have a podcast - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

This guy did a podcast with Eric Francis and Ryan Leslie. The former thinks TJ Brodie will re-sign with the flames, while the later thinks it will be Hamonic.

My take, I hope to god it isn't Hamonic. If we cannot keep Brodie, I'd rather let both walk.

I have been looking around the league to see what their RHD situations look like. Nobody knows how it’s going to work out in St. Louis but personally I think Pietrangelo resigns. There has to be some moving parts and I have no idea if Faulk is tradable, or if Army would even do it, but looking around different contract situations to see if it’s even financially possible on teams. Thanks for the info

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I really hope upfront we add Granlund this off-season. He’s such a good playmaker and I think because he had such an off year, he would cost a reasonable amount.
If you mean former Flame (current Oiler) Markus Granlund, I thought I heard something about him signing either in Finland or Russia for next year. If you mean the other Granlund, it's tough to say, but maybe he'd come here? Not sure another left-shot Center/RW would bring to the team given that he's not replacing Lindholm or Mony in the top 6 (if they're both C's), and not replacing Lindholm (if he's not a C) or Mangi as RW's (Mangi really started coming on there and getting comfortable with Matty and Backs). And I doubt he takes a contract to play a 3rd line C/RW role that wouldn't have the money better used shoring up our G (no idea if Talbot re-signs or not) or our RD situation (given that Gio, Hanifin, and Ras are literally the only NHL D we have signed for next season, with Ras the only RD)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we should be trying to pry William Nylander away from Toronto. Calgary kid with potential on the Right Wing with the Right Shot we covet. Maybe Monahan with an add like Kylington? Move Lindholm back to C permanently.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think we should be trying to pry William Nylander away from Toronto. Calgary kid with potential on the Right Wing with the Right Shot we covet. Maybe Monahan with an add like Kylington? Move Lindholm back to C permanently.

Don't think either team does it, especially with the season Monahan just had. You'd be selling low on Monahan at the moment imo. Moving Lindy to centre is a marginal upgrade AT BEST, and Toronto doesn't need that much money committed to their #3C spot (and he hasn't ever played wing at the nhl level either).

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Don't think either team does it, especially with the season Monahan just had. You'd be selling low on Monahan at the moment imo. Moving Lindy to centre is a marginal upgrade AT BEST, and Toronto doesn't need that much money committed to their #3C spot (and he hasn't ever played wing at the nhl level either).

Not like I want to get rid of Monahan, but just trying to make the cap work. Money is still signed for a good rate for the next 3 years. I just don't see many RW's with our needs out there. I would do Gio for Nylander too if they want to win NOW with some extras tossed in. Probably way off base here, but I don't think we can win a round without a proper RW.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Willy nylander is now essentially on a value contract on a cap strapped team. No chance we get him.

On RD I would like to see Gudas pitched a contract. Obviously pietrangelo would be the dream but I don’t think it’s realistic from a cap or even selection stand point. I’m against having hamonic back (he’s done imo) and Brodie would be ok but I wouldn’t want to pay much more than we currently were. Gudas would be a solid #4, and Anderson has proven he can take Brodie’s spot as #2.

gio-Andersson
Hanifin-gudas
Valimaki- x

Signed: kylington, mackie, poolman, Lerby, kinsvall, yelesin

ufa: forbort, Gustafson

I’d be down to give yelesin a chance with kylington as the 7.
Imo this shows that we can afford to use hanifin as a chip to bolster up front.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Willy nylander is now essentially on a value contract on a cap strapped team. No chance we get him.

On RD I would like to see Gudas pitched a contract. Obviously pietrangelo would be the dream but I don’t think it’s realistic from a cap or even selection stand point. I’m against having hamonic back (he’s done imo) and Brodie would be ok but I wouldn’t want to pay much more than we currently were. Gudas would be a solid #4, and Anderson has proven he can take Brodie’s spot as #2.

gio-Andersson
Hanifin-gudas
Valimaki- x

Signed: kylington, mackie, poolman, Lerby, kinsvall, yelesin

ufa: forbort, Gustafson

I’d be down to give yelesin a chance with kylington as the 7.
Imo this shows that we can afford to use hanifin as a chip to bolster up front.

Gudas imo just seems like another hamonic. Analytics are poor, doesn’t put up a ton of points, and he is billed as a stay at home dman at the end of his prime. Seems like a mistake in the waiting imo.

Hanifin, Andy, vali, and Gio all have a physical element while being able to move the puck. If anything, adding a solid offensive dman (like Gustaffson) should be our priority considering the noted offensive struggles from the d this team (and also to fix our pp qb issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad