Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Discussion Only)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Business is boomin!

HeartfeltUnpleasantAmericanbulldog-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm completely unfamiliar with our last two picks. Looks like I have some reading for tonight, after my picks.

I guess to compare Propp to a modern player I’d say he’s similar to Bergeron.

Nothing about his skill set stands out..
Not the fastest skater, not the hardest shot, not the biggest guy or a big hitter, but he was extremely hard working, smart, well positioned and tenacious.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
To pass the time... lets have an informal vote/discussion/whatever. Lines are being completed, so lets see what the top lines are looking like:

1. Tkachuk--Mario--Hull
2. Benn--Thorton--Iginla
3. Andreychuk--Francis--Kane
4. Robitialle--Messier--Alfredsson
5. Kariya--Sakic--Hossa
6. LeClair--Crosby--Kurri
7. W Clark--Yzerman--Palffy
8. Ovechkin--Malkin--Makarov
9. Kovalchuk--Gretzky--Selanne
10. ????--Sundin--St. Louis
11. Hall--Nieuwendyk--Pastrnak
12. Shananhan--Bergeron--Jagr

What does everyone think? Any clear cut front runners here?

That all Russian line could really cause some mayhem. Gretzky's line could also score every other shift.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
To pass the time... lets have an informal vote/discussion/whatever. Lines are being completed, so lets see what the top lines are looking like:

1. Tkachuk--Mario--Hull
2. Benn--Thorton--Iginla
3. Andreychuk--Francis--Kane
4. Robitialle--Messier--Alfredsson
5. Kariya--Sakic--Hossa
6. LeClair--Crosby--Kurri
7. W Clark--Yzerman--Palffy
8. Ovechkin--Malkin--Makarov
9. Kovalchuk--Gretzky--Selanne
10. ????--Sundin--St. Louis
11. Hall--Nieuwendyk--Pastrnak
12. Shananhan--Bergeron--Jagr

What does everyone think? Any clear cut front runners here?

That all Russian line could really cause some mayhem. Gretzky's line could also score every other shift.

Tough to argue against any line centered by Mario or Gretzky....either could take just about any 2 wingers listed above and an argument could be made that it is the best.

The Malkin - Ovy- Makarov line is probably 3rd....Ovy and Geno are a load to handle.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Messier's line probably is the best defensive unit of all of these, while still being a potent scoring threat.

Makarov likes how Messier plays defense. :razz:

#CanadaCup1987

Tough to argue against any line centered by Mario or Gretzky....either could take just about any 2 wingers listed above and an argument could be made that it is the best.

The Malkin - Ovy- Makarov line is probably 3rd....Ovy and Geno are a load to handle.

Makarov probably is the better magician with the puck and even more impossible to knock off it.

As noted in my writeup, Gary Roberts said he's the second hardest guy, aside from Jagr, he ever tried to knock off the puck.

Reactions: sarge88

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Line #6 I believe you should switch out Leclair for Marchand.

Sid with Marchand, and Jiggys line 2 reunites Lindros and Leclair. Nothing like real life, undeniable chemistry.

(I'm pretty sure that's Jiggy's plan.)

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Line #6 I believe you should switch out Leclair for Marchand.

Sid with Marchand, and Jiggys line 2 reunites Lindros and Leclair. Nothing like real life, undeniable chemistry.

(I'm pretty sure that's Jiggy's plan.)

You know, I've gone back and forth on Malkin-Ovi. The problem for them in international play hasn't actually been them per se as much as it's been the inexplicable choices for 3rd wheel and the relative weakness of the Russian blueline in international play. As alluded above, no such issue with Makarov working his magic on the RW and a defensive core adept at moving the puck in (so far) Lidstrom, Keith, Fetisov, and Reinhart.

Of course, as we've been discussing, it seems my plan keeps amending every couple of rounds . . . :laugh:

Reactions: td_ice

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I like Line 12
Shanahan-Bergeron-Jagr

That line has everything, it seems.
Shanahan brings toughness, net front presence, and an underrated shot.

Bergeron brings smarts, elite passing ability, face off acumen, and if you underestimate his offense, he'll put one past the goalie too.

Jagr is pure sniper off the rush, but also has been known to park himself in front of the net....so if Shanahan isn't crowding the crease, then Jagr will.
Plus Jagr moves with speed that belies his size

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I like Line 12
Shanahan-Bergeron-Jagr

That line has everything, it seems.
Shanahan brings toughness, net front presence, and an underrated shot.

Bergeron brings smarts, elite passing ability, face off acumen, and if you underestimate his offense, he'll put one past the goalie too.

Jagr is pure sniper off the rush, but also has been known to park himself in front of the net....so if Shanahan isn't crowding the crease, then Jagr will.
Plus Jagr moves with speed that belies his size

Side note . . . I remember when the Rangers would use Shanny and Jagr on the points on the 5 on 3. Shanny on the left, Jagr on the right, and they would be in so tight, almost within 5-10 feet of the circles. Absolutely sick the way those two would work it and fire away.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can Ovi-Malkin really play well together? On paper that line should be dominant, but not sure about chemistry and in international play it hasn't really been all that good.

Of course the chemistry question could be asked about all the lines.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am up, posted my first pick. Working on the write up for the 2nd.

My pick fall during Lil Winger's bedtime. Delayed me some because he wanted 2 episodes of PJ Mask.

Love the GC pick. Great defensive center. BUT . . . your math is off on his PPG. 663/1318 = .50. :laugh:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
My son is on a Super Monsters kick, but we were in the PJ Mask phase for a long time.

I tried the Super Monsters a couple months ago and he only really had interest in them for about a week.

His new non-bedtime thing is Abby Hatcher, Fuzzley Catcher. I'm assuming it's Kevin Hatcher's daughter on some kind of acid trip with knockoff Pokemon.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can Ovi-Malkin really play well together? On paper that line should be dominant, but not sure about chemistry and in international play it hasn't really been all that good.

Of course the chemistry question could be asked about all the lines.

You know, this actually was my initial instinct, to play Ovi and Geno on separate lines.

Here's the thing though: The issue isn't chemistry or any thing else between Malkin and Ovechkin.

No, this issue is that they've always been behind the proverbial 8 ball with (a) the relative weakness of the Russian blueline (typically one of the worst in international play) and (b) some really, really odd choices for 3rd wheel on their line.

In the case of this league, I've addressed both issues:

1. Their RW is Sergei Makarov, arguably one of the greatest Russian hockey players of all time. Many say he was better than Kharlamov up front. He's more magical with the puck than Malkin, and he's more of a bull on it than Ovechkin. As noted, Gary Roberts actually said, aside from Jagr, Makarov was the hardest guy he ever tried to get off the puck.

2. I don't have Team Russia's inability to move the puck. My blueline already includes Lidstrom, Keith, as well as (a) prime 80's Fetisov, arguably one of the greatest defensemen ever and (b) Paul Reinhart, almost a 4th forward on defense who's #4 among Gretzky Draft defensemen in PPG and #3 in playoff PPG.

So, if you're stacking the deck against Geno and Ovi, to the degree one sees in international play, then YES I see your point (and again, it was my initial reaction).

Except, in the case of The Skating Jabronis, I'm stacking the deck IN THEIR FAVOR with one of the greatest RW's in the history of hockey and some of the greatest Gretzky Draft eligible defensmen.

Reactions: Shady Machine

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s probably sad that I’m giddy about grabbing the only 4th line center that I wanted from the start,

I love Dave Poulin....especially since I can reunite him with Propp on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad