Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Discussion Only)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Welcome GM's to the Armchair GM Draft, 2019.

Our goal, to have fun discussing the greats of the past in NHL history, from 1979 to present day in an unique way. With each GM assembling their own team via a draft. We get to hang out with like minded hockey fanatics, and learn about the greats of the game from each other. And also see how each of us views team building. What they think makes the components of a great team. We get something fun to do in the doldrums of winter to pass the time. So please, do your homework, have your lists ready, draft when ready, and stay and participate till the last playoff series has been voted on.

Have fun!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules

1. Only choose players that debuted in 1979 or after. So no one that played in, or before, 78-79.

2. No trades

3. Only NHL players.

4. The roster size will be 20 starters, consisting of 4 LW, 4 C, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G. and a 4 man taxi squad of 4 players, which can be any position. (but I strongly suggest getting at least 1 F, 1, D, 1 G, to cover any perceived injuries throughout the season. Any more missed games will assume an AHL career player to be called up.)

So 24 players in total, so 24 rounds of drafting

5. NEVER mention an undrafted player. It is poor etiquette. If quoting a source about a player you’re drafting, simply substitute the undrafted player with XXXX XXXX. You may mention a player that is not eligible for our draft, under the current draft rules. (So any NHL player that played in the '78-79 season or prior. As well as non NHL players, can be mentioned.)

6. The time limit changes throughout the draft. This will be how it runs:

Round 1-2:....24 Hour Time Limit
Round 3-7:.....12 Hour Time Limit
Round 8-20: ...8 Hour Time Limit
Round 21-24: ..4 Hour Time Limit

If you are not sure whether you will be available to make your pick within the allotted time, please send a list of players to someone who will be there for that time. This way the draft can progress nicely.

7. You MUST send a private message to the next GM to alert them that it is their turn. This is mandatory and it is crucial to the draft going smoothly. You should also change your board preferences so that you receive an email when you receive a PM. Many have found that this ensures that when it's your turn, you know as soon as possible.

8. Please be advised that it is MANDATORY to vote if you expect to participate in the next All-Time Draft. Put some effort into it. It's only fair that the best team wins. You can make your votes based on whatever criteria are important to you, but we are all expected to have an open mind and listen to the arguments for why each roster is better. All votes will be sent to a MOD. So I will not know who voted for who, but I will know who did, and did not vote.

9. Drafting players and putting them out of their primary position: If you select a player who played most of his career at lets say, C, but also played for 2 years at LW, and choose him to slot him at LW, you can but this will downgrade the players ability. Its a risk that you can make but you have a better chance of winning if you have everyone at there natural position.

There could be cases in which a player had a near 50/50 split at positions but you gotta show in your write-up that that is the case. So you can draft a player and put him anywhere, it's just the voters have right to view it as a downgrade, if out of his primary position. (check with hockeyrefernce.com or whatever source you see fit to get a players position.)

Our playoffs...
12teambracketsingleelimination.gif

The top 4 teams from the regular season will get a bye in the first round of the playoffs.​

Draft order.

1. Winger for Hire--Gentlemen Bastards

2 . Asuna -- THICC JOHNSONS

3. Fenway--Boston Burping Zambonis

4. Mr Jiggyfly--KINKY KIRKS

5. sarge88--- The Squaw Valley Precursor

6. KIRK---THE SKATING JABRONIS

7. Honour over Glory----- Bjugstud Biggies

8. Dr. Pepper--Inglewood Jacks

9. td_ice-- The Fighting Fremen

10. TropicalFruitGirl2---Puck Time Pilots

11. BMC--Hab Hater

12. Shady Machine-- Doblett of Fire

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is OK to be posted in this forum simply because there is no other place for it.

If you have no interest in this draft - just ignore the thread

Thanks

Reactions: sarge88

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
giphy.gif

Getting ready?? hopefully everyone has been working this week on their draft lists and prep.

I am a bit busy today, but tomorrow, I will have all the rules and details posted in the PICKS ONLY THREAD.

PLEASE, all GM's, hit WATCH THREAD on each of our 3 threads.

Thanks everyone for joining. And here's to a great draft!

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This is a quiet long-standing section.Almost intimate.This feels like break & entry.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Guys, we're doing an ATD, with mod permission. Please either ignore the thread if you're not interested. No need to be *****es like the regulars over at the History of Hockey forum.

Oh please.

ATD? An actual all-time draft?

Why didn't you say so at first?

Anyway.....

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Everyone in our group hit as many IGNORE THREADS as possible in this forum. That will keep ours at the top, since they aren't a sticky thread.

Those that aren't in the our group hit IGNORE THREAD on our 3 threads.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yes, we didn't name it as an "ATD" to keep from confusing it with the actual "official" one.

No one really gave us a chance to explain ourselves or explain before we got moved.

You entered the section like a bunch of mad men.

Anyway, if registrations are still open I'm in.If not, have a good one.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Look people, we aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade. We go where they tell us to go.

We are just trying to conduct a fun draft to pass the time away with 12 hockey crazy nuts. So if this somehow how offends you, and I have no idea why when there is an IGNORE THREAD feature, I really have no interest in hearing your angst, simply hit IGNORE. Or complain to a mod. Whatever you choose.

But if anyone is interested, yeah, please follow along. I think it will fun. We are doing a draft from '79 till present day. So it is type of an ATD, but obviously with a time period factor. We didn't want to call it an ATD, as we know that one is very established. It was initially dubbed The Gretzky Draft, given the starting date. If you like it, viewing from the outside, and our draft goes well, we may do another one next season. And we can possibly expand membership. We wanted to start small since this is new, so have capped it at 12.

(We would have explained everything. But one, we didn't think we needed to ask anyone else's permission except an ADMIN, which we did before we posted. And second, as Winger mentioned, no one gave us chance. Within seconds, we were bullied off a forum. I didn't even get time to post anything. But it's all good. Those that have interest, follow along, those that don't once again, just ignore the threads.)

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Look people, we aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade. We go where they tell us to go.

We are just trying to conduct a fun draft to pass the time away with 12 hockey crazy nuts. So if this somehow how offends you, and I have no idea why when there is an IGNORE THREAD feature, I really have no interest in hearing your angst, simply hit IGNORE. Or complain to a mod. Whatever you choose.

But if anyone is interested, yeah, please follow along. I think it will fun. We are doing a draft from '79 till present day. So it is type of an ATD, but obviously with a time period factor. We didn't want to call it an ATD, as we know that one is very established. It was initially dubbed The Gretzky Draft, given the starting date. If you like it, viewing from the outside, and our draft goes well, we may do another one next season. And we can possibly expand membership. We wanted to start small since this is new, so have capped it at 12.

(We would have explained everything. But one, we didn't think we needed to ask anyone else's permission except an ADMIN, which we did before we posted. And second, as Winger mentioned, no one gave us chance. Within seconds, we were bullied off a forum. I didn't even get time to post anything. But it's all good. Those that have interest, follow along, those that don't once again, just ignore the threads.)

What happens to a player like Denis Potvin, whose career is basically split before and after 79? He won all his Norris before 79 (or in 79), but he was the general of a dynasty in the 80s.

I hope as you do more of these draft you will consider either going further back in time, and/or maybe register to the real ATD to learn about the old eras which are even more entertaining (anyone is free to join every year).I might join your draft next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad