Armchair GM Draft, 2019 (Discussion Only)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I just did my 2 selections.

Next!
Ok, actually you had only 1 pick to make if picking BEFORE Shady.

Two picks if you were skipped and Shady had made his selection.

Since Shady waited, and you made it back before the 9am deadline we set it was supposed to be HH, Shady two picks, HH.

But I have feeling that Shady is cool with who he got, but @BMC just be aware of that going forward.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think Shady has sniped me in every round. I had TF pegged as well, but I'm guessing several others did as well.

And probably the nature of having two picks at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Theo.

Theo-Foppa would have been a force to be reckoned with as a 3rd line

I had him as a fun pick for my taxi squad. Just not sure how he’s perceived by the masses due to all his issues.

After reading his book I fully understand why he was so messed up, but not everyone has read his story so hard to really gauge you know?

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I had him as a fun pick for my taxi squad. Just not sure how he’s perceived by the masses due to all his issues.

After reading his book I fully understand why he was so messed up, but not everyone has read his story so hard to really gauge you know?

Although certainly not a scientific way to look at teams, but in the past when I've done this, I've looked a players based on their best 5 year stretch of play.

Obviously the Gretzky's, Lemieux', Crosby's of the world are in a different class, but when comparing a guy like say Neely to an Andreychuk -- sure Andreychuk had better stats because of his longevity, but Neely's 5 years from 87 - 91 or so, were better than Andreychuk's best 5 year stretch. So I'd give him the edge.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ok, actually you had only 1 pick to make if picking BEFORE Shady.

Two picks if you were skipped and Shady had made his selection.

Since Shady waited, and you made it back before the 9am deadline we set it was supposed to be HH, Shady two picks, HH.

But I have feeling that Shady is cool with who he got, but @BMC just be aware of that going forward.

Yup totally cool with it.

Reactions: BMC

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Although certainly not a scientific way to look at teams, but in the past when I've done this, I've looked a players based on their best 5 year stretch of play.

Obviously the Gretzky's, Lemieux', Crosby's of the world are in a different class, but when comparing a guy like say Neely to an Andreychuk -- sure Andreychuk had better stats because of his longevity, but Neely's 5 years from 87 - 91 or so, were better than Andreychuk's best 5 year stretch. So I'd give him the edge.

Ya, I’m looking at these guys like Bill and Ted went back in time and threw them in their phone booth for us smack in the middle of their most productive, prime years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I've tried to look at peak and longevity. If a dude only played a few hundred games, unless he totally dominated, I give the edge to the really good player that played 800+. But totally agree about the Neely vs Andreychuk. That's why I ranked Stevens fairly high. In his peak he was really good but then struggled after injuries hit. Obviously he was a benefactor of Lemieux, but talented enough that he could succeed with another elite center. Plus I needed a power forward after some other guys were snatched up.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Yeah, I always like the JAWS metric in baseball while doing the baseball ATD. (Looks at 7 year peak)

Wish there was a hockey equivalent.

There is always gonna be that peak vs. "compilers" factor. But there,is also something to be said for consistency and longevity.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Best I've found to replicated WAR from baseball is Hockey Reference's Point Shares. They also break it down by Offense and Defense and Goalies.

Calculating Point Shares | Hockey-Reference.com

Bill James developed his system such that one win is equivalent to three Win Shares. My system deviates from James' in three key ways:
  1. In James' system, one win is equivalent to three Win Shares. In my system for hockey, one point is equivalent to one Point Share.
  2. James made team Win Shares directly proportional to team wins. In his system, a baseball team that wins 80 games will have exactly 240 Win Shares, a baseball team that wins 90 games will have exactly 270 Win Shares, etc. In my system for hockey, a team with 100 points will have about 100 Point Shares, give or take.
  3. James did not allow for the possibility of negative Win Shares. In his system, the fewest number of Win Shares a player can have is zero. In my system, a player can have negative Point Shares. I justify this by thinking about it in the following way: a player with negative Point Shares was so poor that he essentially took away points that his teammates had generated.

I'm using this to help sort players, then using my team needs and player's style of play to refine.

It seems to work fairly well to balance peak performance and longevity, on fairly level grounds; although you can still be a "compiler" if you play long enough at an average level (example from baseball- Harold Baines and Pete Rose). Of course building a team solely by taking the best Point Share guys is going to lead to a team that probably doesn't mesh well in terms of style, chemistry, and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Best I've found to replicated WAR from baseball is Hockey Reference's Point Shares. They also break it down by Offense and Defense and Goalies.

Calculating Point Shares | Hockey-Reference.com

[Quote\]
Bill James developed his system such that one win is equivalent to three Win Shares. My system deviates from James' in three key ways:
  1. In James' system, one win is equivalent to three Win Shares. In my system for hockey, one point is equivalent to one Point Share.
  2. James made team Win Shares directly proportional to team wins. In his system, a baseball team that wins 80 games will have exactly 240 Win Shares, a baseball team that wins 90 games will have exactly 270 Win Shares, etc. In my system for hockey, a team with 100 points will have about 100 Point Shares, give or take.
  3. James did not allow for the possibility of negative Win Shares. In his system, the fewest number of Win Shares a player can have is zero. In my system, a player can have negative Point Shares. I justify this by thinking about it in the following way: a player with negative Point Shares was so poor that he essentially took away points that his teammates had generated.

I'm using this to help sort players, then using my team needs and player's style of play to refine.

It seems to work fairly well to balance peak performance and longevity, on fairly level grounds; although you can still be a "compiler" if you play long enough at an average level (example from baseball- Harold Baines). Of course building a team solely by taking the best Point Share guys is going to lead to a team that probably doesn't mesh well in terms of style, chemistry, and such.[/QUOTE]

If I were smarter I'd probably use it. Lol.

In my 20's I developed a system for picking NCAA tourney games that actually worked very well -- it was pretty involved, but back then I had the time for such things.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@KIRK will be OTC at 7;45 EST tonight.

R4hS.gif

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'll be around to make my pick shortly after, unless my wife or kids tell me that I won't.

If so, I'll leave a list with someone.

Hopefully we can have a good run again tonight.
I am 16 picks away, and you pick twice before I do, so if you want to send a list my way, I can take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad