Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Unlikely, playoff teams will have their goaltending set. The time to move goalies is the offseason.

An injury WILL happen and a playoff team WILL take a shot on a goalie who puts elite numbers up on a playoff team and has individually won playoffs series less than a year ago. Especially a cheap UFA.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
An injury WILL happen and a playoff team WILL take a shot on a goalie who puts elite numbers up on a playoff team and has individually won playoffs series less than a year ago. Especially a cheap UFA.

This. Elliot could be a hot commodity come TDL.

I could see a team like Pittsburgh trading MAF for Elliot + 3rd or something like that.

Still have a great playoff goalie for their run who they don't have to expose in the expansion draft and still get something for MAF.

Maybe St. Louis brings him back. I wouldn't be too confident going into playoffs with Jake Allen and... whoever their backup is :dunno:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flyers, Stars and maybe the Hurricanes might be interested in goaltending around the deadline. If Johnson continues to play well, Elliott poorly and/or the Flames are out of the playoff race, I'd think they'd try to at least recoup some of what they give up in the first place.

Most likely, they just panic and make a terrible Elliott for Fleury swap, then act surprised when Fleury stinks up the joint.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Flyers, Stars and maybe the Hurricanes might be interested in goaltending around the deadline. If Johnson continues to play well, Elliott poorly and/or the Flames are out of the playoff race, I'd think they'd try to at least recoup some of what they give up in the first place.

Most likely, they just panic and make a terrible Elliott for Fleury swap, then act surprised when Fleury stinks up the joint.

I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Fleury if it ever came to it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

List all the trades at the deadline in the last few years involving a goalie. That list will be very short. Because there isn't always an injury to a goalie on a playoff team

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Fleury if it ever came to it.

If Johnson keeps playing like he has until the deadline, we'd have no need for Fleury and his $5.75m contract. Rather just target another team's solid backup and make CJ the #1 for the next 2-3 years.

I only mentioned Pittsburgh being willing to trade for Elliot to illustrate that there would be teams interested in Elliot at the deadline. I don't think Calgary should do it, doesn't make much sense.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
List all the trades at the deadline in the last few years involving a goalie. That list will be very short. Because there isn't always an injury to a goalie on a playoff team

San Jose picked up Reimer last deadline.

Ryan Miller To St.Louis
Johnson To Buffalo
Neuvirth To New York

If memory serves me well, these were all in season deals, though Johnson/Neuvirth were in the same deal. That's just off the top of my head too.

Regardless, it's not unlikely to think a playoff team, or potential playoff team would be looking to shore up their goaltending prior to the deadline.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary

15-16:
Reimer for scraps (to be a back up though)

14-15
Dubnyk for a third
Enroth for a third
Neuvirth for a third

13-14
Scrivens for a third
Miller + Ott + 2nd + 4th for Halak + C Stewart + Carrier + 2 1sts
Fasth for third and fifth
Bryzgalov for 4th
Berra for 2nd
Halak + 3rd for Neuvirth + Klesla

12-13
Thomas for second
Bishop for Conacher and 4th
Mason for 3rd

Nothing significant will happen unless a team gets desperate. But a team would give up a second or at worst a third rounder for him.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Ryan Miller To St.Louis
Johnson To Buffalo
Neuvirth To New York

If memory serves me well, these were all in season deals, though Johnson/Neuvirth were in the same deal. That's just off the top of my head too.

Regardless, it's not unlikely to think a playoff team, or potential playoff team would be looking to shore up their goaltending prior to the deadline.

They all involved Tim Murray :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
15-16:
Reimer for scraps (to be a back up though)

14-15
Dubnyk for a third
Enroth for a third
Neuvirth for a third

13-14
Scrivens for a third
Miller + Ott + 2nd + 4th for Halak + C Stewart + Carrier + 2 1sts
Fasth for third and fifth
Bryzgalov for 4th
Berra for 2nd
Halak + 3rd for Neuvirth + Klesla

12-13
Thomas for second
Bishop for Conacher and 4th
Mason for 3rd

Nothing significant will happen unless a team gets desperate. But a team would give up a second or at worst a third rounder for him.

I never said they wouldn't pay, but I stand buy there isn't many teams looking to buy goalies that are pending free agents. There has been more than I remembered but for the most part those deals were the Sabres actively trying to get worse. But maybe I'm wrong and he has r Johnson gets dealt, but I just don't foresee it, maybe that's also because I think Treliving will want the chance to negotiate with both after the season

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I never said they wouldn't pay, but I stand buy there isn't many teams looking to buy goalies that are pending free agents. There has been more than I remembered but for the most part those deals were the Sabres actively trying to get worse. But maybe I'm wrong and he has r Johnson gets dealt, but I just don't foresee it, maybe that's also because I think Treliving will want the chance to negotiate with both after the season

Don't know why you'd want to negotiate with Elliot if he doesn't pick up his play. He has not shown himself to be better even at his best this year and would likely cost more.... assuming both his and CJ's recent play continues for the season. Who knows what happens between now and TDL/April.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know why you'd want to negotiate with Elliot if he doesn't pick up his play. He has not shown himself to be better even at his best this year and would likely cost more.... assuming both his and CJ's recent play continues for the season. Who knows what happens between now and TDL/April.

Because we need to have a goalie under contract at the expansion draft and we don't know what Johnson's contract demands will be, plus if he has a poor year he may be willing to sign an even more affordable contract

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Because we need to have a goalie under contract at the expansion draft and we don't know what Johnson's contract demands will be, plus if he has a poor year he may be willing to sign an even more affordable contract

I thought that McCollum filled our requirements for the expansion draft. We don't need to protect a goalie, we just need to expose one. That's my understanding anyways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought that McCollum filled our requirements for the expansion draft. We don't need to protect a goalie, we just need to expose one. That's my understanding anyways.

I'm under the impression you need to both protect and expose someone, but maybe you can protect a pending UFA

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's a conditional third attached to re-signing Elliott too. Unless he turns it around, I'd rather keep the pick.

At the moment, makes way more sense to re-sign Johnson for two to three years and either pursue another 1B goalie through trade or free agency, or just promote one of Rittich or Gillies. But there's still 60 games left; a lot can change in that time.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I'm under the impression you need to both protect and expose someone, but maybe you can protect a pending UFA

Interesting question. LV does get exclusive negotiating rights with all UFA's before they draft so if you protect a UFA maybe LV doesn't get to speak with them?

If they sign a UFA it does count as the person they take from the team so don't see why not...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting question. LV does get exclusive negotiating rights with all UFA's before they draft so if you protect a UFA maybe LV doesn't get to speak with them?

If they sign a UFA it does count as the person they take from the team so don't see why not...

If a UFA is protected (assuming you can) LV would not be able to talk to them before the normal UFA discussion period.

Yes if they sign a UFA or RFA it counts as their pick from that team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It saddens me how people in our fanbase want to trade guys like Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton. Literally our three best defensive defensemen.

Our defensive problems are at forward and fourth/sixth defenseman (replace Wideman with Oduya and Engelland with Bieksa and Monahan with Jankowski and suddenly this is one of the best defensive teams in the league)

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
It saddens me how people in our fanbase want to trade guys like Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton. Literally our three best defensive defensemen.

Our defensive problems are at forward and fourth/sixth defenseman (replace Wideman with Oduya and Engelland with Bieksa and Monahan with Jankowski and suddenly this is one of the best defensive teams in the league)

Hold on... what!?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Are you ****ing kidding me? Monahan is the Flames #1 center. Placing Jankowski there would be a ****ing train wreck.

I agree with your comment about Oduya, but I disagree with Bieksa over Engelland. I'd rather keep Engelland than bring in Bieksa.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Based on what metrics?

Based upon any metrics that don't have Brett Kulak carrying Engelland.

I'd rather keep Engelland than bring in Bieksa.

You would rather have the 30/29th ranked PK in the league than not the 30/29th ranked PK in the league?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest Bieksa fan. But any slight improvement at vet minimum cost is what this team needs on the bottom pair. Nothing over $1.0M and no one as bad at killing penalties as Engelland.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm all for re-signing Engelland for 1-2 years with less than $2M cap hit, ideally somewhere aroudn $1.5M. He would be really nice as a 6-7D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland