Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Trade our struggling 22 year old, #1 centre, who is 21 games removed from being the 14th highest scorer among all NHL players at his position. Might as well just toss the jerseys on the ice!

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I think this has been a really hard season to watch so far as a Flames fan, and the cracks are starting to show in our collective psyche.
Now imagine being a pretty big panthers fan (NFL) as well.

Still, I think we're due for a winning streak so the mood will swing back to overrating everyone.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
..... did you just pump Byron's tires, DBU? :laugh:

I think this has been a really hard season to watch so far as a Flames fan, and the cracks are starting to show in our collective psyche.

To be fair, I've never said anything bad about Byron. I always liked how he played. I've just never bought into the idea that he was this huge difference maker. He was waived and claimed over a year ago now, time for people to move on.

I'll agree that this season has been a dumpster fire but it shouldn't matter how bad it gets, this team isn't trading parts of the foundation in Monahan and Brodie.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Or living in Europe so you have to wake up at 3-4 AM to watch games... good thing I've been on a sick leave from work for couple of weeks so I just have watched the games in the morning.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Initially, I thought about it just so we could protect Kulak. But then I thought about it, and if Brouwer were to be claimed in expansion, the Flames would have

5.25M (Wideman)
4.50M (Brouwer)
2.90M (Engelland)
1.25M (Bollig)
3.50M (Smid)

Off the books this offseason.

That is 17.4M in sudden cap space.

And with Gulutzan's system neutering the team's offensive production, Bennett should be easy to re-sign at an underpayment.

We could realistically go after a big fish like TJ Oshie, Tyler Johnson/Ondrej Palat (Tampa is in cap hell!!!!) or Kevin Shattenkirk.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Shattenkirk

We could actually have a real top four instead of a top 3.25!

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
To be fair, I've never said anything bad about Byron. I always liked how he played. I've just never bought into the idea that he was this huge difference maker. He was waived and claimed over a year ago now, time for people to move on.

I'll agree that this season has been a dumpster fire but it shouldn't matter how bad it gets, this team isn't trading parts of the foundation in Monahan and Brodie.

And the award for "The Voice of Reason" goes to... But seriously, people talking about moving on from the Byron discussion aren't people that dislike Byron, they're just tired of the constant whining associated with him. I could seriously go back and post every positive comment the so-called Byron detractors have made about Byron. Do we miss Byron? Yes. Have we moved on? Yes. That doesn't mean we don't like Byron, we just don't dwell on it.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
For every byron that's lost to waivers / FA there are at least 10 nakladals (players that no team is interested to have even at minimum salary).

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Initially, I thought about it just so we could protect Kulak. But then I thought about it, and if Brouwer were to be claimed in expansion, the Flames would have

5.25M (Wideman)
4.50M (Brouwer)
2.90M (Engelland)
1.25M (Bollig)
3.50M (Smid)

And with Gulutzan's system neutering the team's offensive production, Bennett should be easy to re-sign at an underpayment.

We could realistically go after a big fish like TJ Oshie, Tyler Johnson/Ondrej Palat (Tampa is in cap hell!!!!) or Kevin Shattenkirk.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Shattenkirk

The problem wouldn't be resigning Bennett, but Tkachuk and everyone else in the future who may end up having any success in the big league.

I'd rather cross my finger and hope a prospect becomes a top 4 dman.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

5.25M (Wideman)
4.50M (Brouwer)
2.90M (Engelland)
1.25M (Bollig)
3.50M (Smid)

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Shattenkirk

I would love Oshie so Calgary could potentially have a line of

Tkachuk - Bennett - Oshie

or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The problem wouldn't be resigning Bennett, but Tkachuk and everyone else in the future who may end up having any success in the big league.

I'd rather cross my finger and hope a prospect becomes a top 4 dman.

I don't disagree with you, although I do think the fact that Stajan, Bouma and Raymond expire in 2018 does do us some favours that could give us future cap space (Tkachuk is an RFA in 2019 so we would have to have Treliving not spend in 2018 on anyone but Backlund, which is optimistic given his history).

Maybe Oshie is the better option

Gaudreau-Jankowski-Monahan
Tkachuk-Bennett-Oshie
Klimchuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Hamilton-Hathaway

Would be a much better top 12 than the crap we're rolling these days. I also think going all-in on prospects on the blue line isn't a bad idea

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak/Kylington-Brodie
Kylington/Hickey-Andersson

Wow that is exciting. All it takes is dropping veterans for our own internal talent.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Trading Monahan would be moronic. I'm not his biggest fan but he'll be worth his contract. Honestly this core is the one we're going with for better or worse. Just need better supporting pieces IMO, even if our depth players are the ones outplaying our top guys ATM.

Whether or not these supporting pieces come from within the organization or from Trade/FA is another matter entirely. I'm much more skeptical of the Flames' prospect development than most of you, but given Treliving's less than stellar record of adding NHL ready talent from elsewhere, these prospects might be the best option at this point.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with you, although I do think the fact that Stajan, Bouma and Raymond expire in 2018 does do us some favours that could give us future cap space (Tkachuk is an RFA in 2019 so we would have to have Treliving not spend in 2018 on anyone but Backlund, which is optimistic given his history).

Tkachuk-Bennett-Oshie
Klimchuk-Backlund-Frolik

Would be a much better top 12 than the crap we're rolling these days. I also think going all-in on prospects on the blue line isn't a bad idea

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak/Kylington-Brodie

Wow that is exciting. All it takes is dropping veterans for our own internal talent.

I liked your forward lines, until I saw the #1 center. Not a fan of the defense though. Way too inexperienced, and it lacks a strong shutdown type.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't know what to think anymore...

Sorry, gone crazy, be back in 5 minutes.
200.gif

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Tkachuk-Bennett-Oshie
Klimchuk-Backlund-Frolik

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak/Kylington-Brodie

Not trying to take a shot at you or anything like that, but what makes you so confident that Jankowski will be a 1st line centre?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Tkachuk-Bennett-Oshie
Klimchuk-Backlund-Frolik

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak/Kylington-Brodie

I wouldn't touch Oshie, for market value, with a ten foot pole. He's only put up 50 points, the last 2 seasons, playing for the Blues and Caps, he'd be lucky to hit 45 for us.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
yeah I'm sorry but Jankowski(when he makes the NHL) will more than likely be the 3rd line center, sheltered. he won't be thrusted into top line minutes right away.

Johnny-Money-X(Bennett/FA Signing)
Tkachuk-Backs-Frolik
Bennett-Janko-X(prospect/mediocre but passable FA)

Gio-Hamilton
X(steady shutdown dman)-Brodie
Kulak-Kylington/Hickey/Andersson

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not trying to take a shot at you or anything like that, but what makes you so confident that Jankowski will be a 1st line centre?

I actually see Bennett as the first line center with Tkachuk/Oshie, but Gaudreau's line will always be the "first line". Jankowski or Backlund allow Johnny/Monny to focus on what they're good at (offense).

I liked your forward lines, until I saw the #1 center. Not a fan of the defense though. Way too inexperienced, and it lacks a strong shutdown type.

Hickey is strong. Hamilton is strong. Giordano/Brodie/Kulak are shutdown types. Andersson also trends towards a pretty balanced player.

The defensive problem with this team right now is not Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, or Kulak. It's Wideman, Jokipakka, Engelland. Simply subtracting those guys makes this defense good.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I actually see Bennett as the first line center with Tkachuk/Oshie, but Gaudreau's line will always be the "first line". Jankowski or Backlund allow Johnny/Monny to focus on what they're good at (offense).

serious question:
what, so far, has made you think Bennett will even make it as a center? not taking a shot or anything legit curious why you think Bennett will be our #1 center when he hasn't even proved himself to be a center yet?
I honestly think he's gonna end up a winger/with spot center duty due to injuries/in game match up line changes

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Losing magnifies the deficiencies. The Flames really aren't as bad as they seem.

Fully expect the Flames to go hard after Alzner in the summer if the Capitals can't re-sign him. He's exactly what the team needs; physical shutdown defenseman and a RHS to boot. And given his low offensive totals, he won't cost as much as some have suggested; Petry, Orpik and Girardi all got 5.5M, while Staal's at 5.7M. Think Alzner could be had for somewhere between 4 and 5M on a five or six year deal but even 5.5M is manageable.

It would be a great smokescreen to protect Kulak, who IMO is more valuable going forward.

Yeah, I'm on board with this. Heck, trade a third or fourth to the Vegas Put-it-all-on-red to make sure they take Brouwer.

Also, because it'll never get old:
21. How impressive has Paul Byron’s start been for Montreal? Heading into last Friday’s game in Carolina, 12 teammates had points on goals Byron has scored or assisted on this season. This was equal to McDavid, Ovechkin, Tyler Seguin and John Tavares. That’s really something. (The leader was Scheifele with 16. Jakub Voracek had 15 and Matt Duchene 14.)

Putting him on waivers last year was a hard decision for the Flames. They liked him, but wondered if he’d be this much of a finisher. They suspected Montreal’s interest.
Friedman

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
serious question:
what, so far, has made you think Bennett will even make it as a center? not taking a shot or anything legit curious why you think Bennett will be our #1 center when he hasn't even proved himself to be a center yet?
I honestly think he's gonna end up a winger/with spot center duty due to injuries/in game match up line changes

The only thing Bennett has not proven is that he can't singlehandedly carry Troy Brouwer + AHLer. With Tkachuk and Versteeg he was doing well at center.

-His defensive support behind the net is second only to Backlund
-His defensive play in the slot has a lot of very good reads
-His backchecking under Hartley at center was usually excellent however it hasn't been so under Gulutzan. Seems to be a coaching issue focusing on the wrong things.
-His vision and skill in the defensive zone to read the forecheck and exit is a necessity to play enter in the NHL, and something Monahan lacks
-His speed and deceptiveness through the middle is an obvious one however he of course has to polish his team game which will come with experience
-He's been pretty good at faceoffs although he faltered in a few recent games

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The only thing Bennett has not proven is that he can't singlehandedly carry Troy Brouwer + AHLer. With Tkachuk and Versteeg he was doing well at center.

-His defensive support behind the net is second only to Backlund
-His defensive play in the slot has a lot of very good reads
-His backchecking under Hartley at center was usually excellent however it hasn't been so under Gulutzan. Seems to be a coaching issue focusing on the wrong things.
-His vision and skill in the defensive zone to read the forecheck and exit is a necessity to play enter in the NHL, and something Monahan lacks
-His speed through the middle is an obvious one however he has to polish his game which will come with experience
-He's been pretty good at faceoffs although he faltered in a few recent games

let's hope it's just been a coaching problem then, because this season he's not been his usual self(albeit with flashes of greatness). and his discipline HAS to get better.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Losing magnifies the deficiencies. The Flames really aren't as bad as they seem.

Fully expect the Flames to go hard after Alzner in the summer if the Capitals can't re-sign him. He's exactly what the team needs; physical shutdown defenseman and a RHS to boot. And given his low offensive totals, he won't cost as much as some have suggested; Petry, Orpik and Girardi all got 5.5M, while Staal's at 5.7M. Think Alzner could be had for somewhere between 4 and 5M on a five or six year deal but even 5.5M is manageable.

Yeah, I'm on board with this. Heck, trade a third or fourth to the Vegas Put-it-all-on-red to make sure they take Brouwer.

Also, because it'll never get old:

Friedman

Alzner's actually a LHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad