Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Losing magnifies the deficiencies. The Flames really aren't as bad as they seem.

Fully expect the Flames to go hard after Alzner in the summer if the Capitals can't re-sign him. He's exactly what the team needs; physical shutdown defenseman and a RHS to boot. And given his low offensive totals, he won't cost as much as some have suggested; Petry, Orpik and Girardi all got 5.5M, while Staal's at 5.7M. Think Alzner could be had for somewhere between 4 and 5M on a five or six year deal but even 5.5M is manageable.

Yeah, I'm on board with this. Heck, trade a third or fourth to the Vegas Put-it-all-on-red to make sure they take Brouwer.

Also, because it'll never get old:

Friedman

Him being a right handed shot complicates things. Calgary needs a lefty. Brodie and Hamilton play the right side.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Alzner's actually a LHS
giphy.gif

Everyone's a left hand shot.

Oh well, he'd still work well with Brodie

Giordano-Hamilton
Alzner-Brodie

That's a solid top four. Also allows for

Giordano-Brodie
Alzner-Hamilton

which wouldn't be bad either.

Him being a right handed shot complicates things. Calgary needs a lefty. Brodie and Hamilton play the right side.

The thought worked if Brodie was kept on the left side, which will likely be the case under Gulutzan. But since Alzner's actually a LHS, it'd still work but only if Gulutzan bends a little.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
giphy.gif

Everyone's a left hand shot.

Oh well, he'd still work well with Brodie

Giordano-Hamilton
Alzner-Brodie

That's a solid top four. Also allows for

Giordano-Brodie
Alzner-Hamilton

which wouldn't be bad either.

The thought worked if Brodie was kept on the left side, which will likely be the case under Gulutzan. But since Alzner's actually a LHS, it'd still work but only if Gulutzan bends a little.

Him being a LHS actually works out better, because it would allow Brodie to play on the right side where he's more comfortable and arguably better.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Him being a LHS actually works out better, because it would allow Brodie to play on the right side where he's more comfortable and arguably better.

I'm assuming (hoping) that GG is just putting Brodie on the left because the Flames have pretty bad defensive depth, and it's a result of him trying to stabilize the 2nd pairing a bit. If he's really obsessed with "left shot goes on left side" I have no time for him as a coach.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We need patience. And Kulak needs to get a legit shot at a top 4 job. Wideman, Jokkipakka and Engelland all got chances and didn't get the job done. Time to see what Kool's has

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I actually see Bennett as the first line center with Tkachuk/Oshie, but Gaudreau's line will always be the "first line". Jankowski or Backlund allow Johnny/Monny to focus on what they're good at (offense).

Hickey is strong. Hamilton is strong. Giordano/Brodie/Kulak are shutdown types. Andersson also trends towards a pretty balanced player.

The defensive problem with this team right now is not Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, or Kulak. It's Wideman, Jokipakka, Engelland. Simply subtracting those guys makes this defense good.

There's a lot of weird in here, but I have no idea how you can argue this. Brodie and Wideman were on the ice for a goal against last night, and again, it sure as **** wasn't wideman who was way the hell out of position and then late to catch up to his man in front of the net... This happens twice a game.
I don't like wideman either, but let's call a spade a spade. Our worst defensemen have been Gio and Brodie. Gio seems to be climbing out of the hole a bit, but he's still not playing as steady as Engelland or Wideman (which is pathetic)

I'm all for acquiring Alzner, I've liked him since his hitmen days.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gio has been one of Calgary's top two defenders since being paired with Dougie over the past few games.

Brodie has been bad, he's still light years ahead of Engelland who people are viewing as 'steady' or Wideman who couldn't out-skate the kids during the intermission. Wideman will give up at least a chance a game due to speed, and Engelland's good for one due to panic and handling pucks like grenades.

Last night I'm not even upset at anyone outside of Cameron and Gerard, who can't run a PP and PK to save their lives.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am not sure how people don't see the causation between Engelland's league-worst penalty killing and our league worst PK. Just taking Engelland off the PK and replacing him with like, Tyler Wotherspoon would do wonders.

And the only reason he's good 5 on 5 is because he's playing third pair and Brett Kulak is better than an average 3rd pair two-way D.

Also Mark Giordano has been amazing. Simply put our best defensive player this year even more than Backlund. His offensive struggles are team-related not individual.

As for Brodie's struggles, the only time he hasn't been anchored down by his partner was when he was paired with Giordano. As a pair they defended well but struggled offensively in a system that stifles their creativity. Giordano-Hamilton is a better pair in this system because Hamilton is just firing point shots mindlessly which fits da system better. But I have no doubt Brodie is still the best defenseman overall on this team. He's far from the problem.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
More Friedman:
13. American Thanksgiving is another critical point on the NHL calendar. Since the NHL expanded to 30 teams, 78 per cent of those in playoff positions as of that date reach the playoffs. As a result, teams have a better idea of what they are and what they need.

Some of the wishes are obvious. Colorado and Detroit are looking for defencemen that can make a difference, although it’s not as if you can grow them in Toews’ garden. (The Avalanche are looking for more than one, likely two.)

As mentioned, the Sabres are looking for speed. Calgary is open for business. Bruce Boudreau half-joked he had “four checking lines” on Monday, as Minnesota eyes a scorer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Clearly we're open for business, unless we really win out the rest of the month; this team is in a tough spot. Slow start killed us again.

I really hope Tre sells, sells, sells. This team really needs a centre that can drive his line that isn't Backlund. Avs love ex-Flames; should go for a Mack Monny trade :laugh:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Monahan, Gaudreau and Giordano

For

Ekblad, Barkov and McCoshen

Bennett-Barkov-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Brodie-Ekblad
McCoshen-Hamilton

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trading Monahan is stupidity at best. We don't have a legit #1 center to replace him. Don't say Bennett, as he's not there yet.

Also to the same idea of trading Brodie because of 20 bad games. Some of the stupidest **** I've ever read on this forum, and there has been some dandy's.

Stupidity is an understatement. Anyone suggesting moving him for anything short of a complete overpayment (ie. McDavid/Matthews) should be up for a Darwin award.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I've been wondering lately, what does a PP coach actually do? It doesn't take a genius to tell players "yo guys, use a 1-3-1 and try to get pucks on net". Do they do additional skill development? A full time PP coach just seems like overkill but there have to some little things that they do that separate a good one from a bad one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've been wondering lately, what does a PP coach actually do? It doesn't take a genius to tell players "yo guys, use a 1-3-1 and try to get pucks on net". Do they do additional skill development? A full time PP coach just seems like overkill but there have to some little things that they do that separate a good one from a bad one.
They have set plays on the PP, but unless they can get into the zone and make good passes it really won't make a difference what they are taught. From what I have noticed the better PPs don't make a ton of passes, it's 2-3 passes and then a shot, 2-3 passes and then a shot.... rinse, lather, repeat.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan and Gio for Mack and Johnson.

I'll do that deal in a second, especially based on how Monahan plays this year

Some debate on Gio vs Johnson but Gio slow starts pissed me off for a captain and he is much older

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And the award for "The Voice of Reason" goes to... But seriously, people talking about moving on from the Byron discussion aren't people that dislike Byron, they're just tired of the constant whining associated with him. I could seriously go back and post every positive comment the so-called Byron detractors have made about Byron. Do we miss Byron? Yes. Have we moved on? Yes. That doesn't mean we don't like Byron, we just don't dwell on it.
To be quite honest, I am probably the biggest Byron detractor and I had no issues with him whatsoever, I only hate him know because of all this ridiculous stupidity since he left.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I've been a bit bearish on Monahan's stock ever since the Anaheim series in 2015. Hate to say it but when no injuries were confirmed that was really disappointing (same could be said for Hudler then as well). Darryl Sutter praised Monahan a ton earlier that year because Flames had good success against LA. Last year he was decent for most of the year but Johnny emerged clearly as the star. This year has been very disappointing for Monahan and again, though Gaudreau too had a slow start, we all know he was coming around nicely before breaking his finger. So, I reitterate my position that Gaudreau is our superstar and through 3 1/4 seasons Sean has been up and down, and in the midst of a disturbing down right now.

In all honesty the hot and cold reminds me of Nathan McKinnon in Colorado.

One would think we should hold tight for another year or so and get a team psychologist working with him. Not that he's a nut, but he needs to be more motivated to play at a high level.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I don't get the demand to stick Kulak in the top 4. He hasn't even been consistent in a bottom paring role yet. Not saying he has been bad but to say we need to try him in the top 4 is laughable when he hasn't been exceptional in a bottom role which he needs to be to get that shot.

On a side note Versteeg is back tonight which is great to hear

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if we will look into trading Elliott at the deadline if Johnson is still the starter at that point.
Unlikely, playoff teams will have their goaltending set. The time to move goalies is the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad