Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Engelland is terrible on the penalty kill though. And that's more than reason enough to not bring him at any salary. He's probably heading to Vegas anyway in the summer.

The defence is kind of mess going forwards in terms of balance. Alzner would be good fit but then they're looking at 20M+ for the top four. There also isn't a single decent defensive defencemen in free agency after Alzner, so missing out on him would be unfortunate.

Wonder if there's a way to pry Petrovic from Florida/Vegas. Decent chance he's exposed for expansion.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Engelland is terrible on the penalty kill though. And that's more than reason enough to not bring him at any salary. He's probably heading to Vegas anyway in the summer.

The defence is kind of mess going forwards in terms of balance. Alzner would be good fit but then they're looking at 20M+ for the top four. There also isn't a single decent defensive defencemen in free agency after Alzner, so missing out on him would be unfortunate.

Wonder if there's a way to pry Petrovic from Florida/Vegas. Decent chance he's exposed for expansion.

Oduya while on the wrong side of 30 still does a decent defensive job, could be a good signing if the term is 2 years. Him and Kylington also train together if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
giphy.gif

Let's stay put, please...

I imagine other GMs...

200.gif

I like the Oduya idea though.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
[mod]

On point though, I have a hard time seeing any big moves by us this season, Gully's still got a little leash room to work imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
[mod]

On point though, I have a hard time seeing any big moves by us this season, Gully's still got a little leash room to work imo.

"Like"

Here's my take on trading our top players:

Monahan- I was talking about trading Monny for Laine last year if the Flames won the lottery and got Matthews. But that's the only way you trade Monahan if A) we end up with an elite #1C (Matthews/McDavid in the draft, Scheifele or Tavares in a trade for Monahan, which won't likely happen.) B) someone else ie Jankowski or Bennett, takes the number 1C role. In that case. Then Sean becomes a 2/3 C where he would dominate second and third pairings.

You build around Center. You don't trade for a winger and all of a sudden leave a gaping hole down the middle.
For me to trade him, a Center would have to come back and I would expect a huge overpayment. ie Dubois AND Saad.

Our team is playing decent without our best offensive player. We need at least another year to see where this team and organization is truly at. Thankfully we have the embodiment of patience and process in Treliving.

Hamilton, Brodie, Gio are all rounding into form. They are not the problem.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Snipes, I ain't gonna lie. I'd deal Monahan for Laine without blinking now. :laugh:

I would too but let's be realistic. No one will trade a legit #1C for Monahan. Or a superstar like Laine. We just have to hope he becomes the elite number one Center he has shown at times.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would too but let's be realistic. No one will trade a legit #1C for Monahan. Or a superstar like Laine. We just have to hope he becomes the elite number one Center he has shown at times.

I agree, and my opinion doesn't have anything to do with Monahan's slow start. I'm not moronic enough to think he won't get playing back to his usual self. It's more about seeing Laine in the NHL and what he's capable of. As good as Monahan is (40 G upside), Laine is more rare. Maurice has said Laine does things in practice he's never seen anyone do. I think Laine is going to score 40 goals as an 18 year old this season and I feel pretty confident that he's going to hit 60 at some point. I don't think he'll ever be Ovechkin good, but he might get close. I love Monahan, I have him on the level of a RyJo, but I have Laine on a level with Gaudreau, maybe Benn good or better eventually.

Anyways I'm bringing this up because I was really hard on you for suggesting that earlier. I wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity ever came up now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My hope is Monahan can get his groove back and continue to develop his defensive side. Listen, the guy can score 30 goals, he's proven that. He has never been defensively impressive and his possession numbers are below average.

That being said, his numbers are increasing, CF% has steadily increased over the years, but so has his OZFO%; so you can take that with a grain of salt.

In a perfect world if Monahan could develop that defensive game further, he'd really make a killer 2C for this team. He will never learn how to be a playmaking possession driving centre; that's not his game. Trading Monny won't happen; this team just invested 7 years into him and a tonne of money. Plus, there will be no team offering Calgary the needed return to move him; like said above, no one will offer an equivalent C or top RW for Monahan that are age appropriate.

**Edit
His shooting % is also down over 2% from his career average; with his shot volume already, that should be 3 goals less than what he would normally be at.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
My hope is Monahan can get his groove back and continue to develop his defensive side. Listen, the guy can score 30 goals, he's proven that. He has never been defensively impressive and his possession numbers are below average.

That being said, his numbers are increasing, CF% has steadily increased over the years, but so has his OZFO%; so you can take that with a grain of salt.

In a perfect world if Monahan could develop that defensive game further, he'd really make a killer 2C for this team. He will never learn how to be a playmaking possession driving centre; that's not his game. Trading Monny won't happen; this team just invested 7 years into him and a tonne of money. Plus, there will be no team offering Calgary the needed return to move him; like said above, no one will offer an equivalent C or top RW for Monahan that are age appropriate.

**Edit
His shooting % is also down over 2% from his career average; with his shot volume already, that should be 3 goals less than what he would normally be at.

Monahan for Tyler Johnson?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Once the Panthers go ****-up Brad should be all over Barkov. I wouldn't think twice about Monahan++ for Barkov.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Tampa has no cap space. If they deal Johnson, it will be for someone on an ELC or cheap contract.

I could see a Monahan+Brouwer for Callahan+Johnson deal. would save Tampa around 1.4 million+ in cap space, and allow them to protect someone else in expansion (Calgary only really needs to protect Johnny/_____/Bennett/Backlund/Ferland/Frolik at forward where Tampa is looking at each of Filppula, Callahan, Johnson, Kucherov, Drouin, Palat, Stamkos, Killorn). Of course Callahan would have to agree to waive his NMC to come to Calgary so it probably isn't the most likely scenario but he may prefer it to a buyout?

The additional benefit to Tampa, is that since Brouwer can be exposed, he could actually be taken by Vegas, those GM once traded a first round pick for Brouwer. That would go a long way for keeping them competitive(Frees up $4.500M), assuming they believe Sean Monahan can be salvaged between Drouin and Killorn or such.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Flames are not trading Monahan for Johnson, and it's not even realistic to think that would happen. Treliving has said multiple times that we need to play a heavy game, Burke is always saying we need to get bigger. While Monahan doesn't play a black and blue style of game, we still play in the West and it's not even a remotely realistic suggestion.

Like Volica said we JUST signed him longterm, thankfully our management is in charge, he's not going anywhere.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The Flames are not trading Monahan for Johnson, and it's not even realistic to think that would happen. Treliving has said multiple times that we need to play a heavy game, Burke is always saying we need to get bigger. While Monahan doesn't play a black and blue style of game, we still play in the West and it's not even a remotely realistic suggestion.

Like Volica said we JUST signed him longterm, thankfully our management is in charge, he's not going anywhere.

I agree, even if Monahan never plays a physical game, if he can put his **** together and play the two-way game he was noted for in junior, his size would be a huge advantage. That's not really even in the ballpark for TJ.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think management decides to shift gears in the rebuild and we end up moving Monahan for RyJo. It probably turns into a blockbuster if Janko impresses. Something like Monahan, Backlund + Jokipakka for Johansen + Ekholm.

Monahan rebounds next year, we extend RyJo to a higher average than Monny and the whole deal ends up being lateral, at best.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I was thinking. I wonder if there is a team with a young forward/prospect that they couldn't protect that has an open D spot in expansion.

So Kulak for Young forward kinda thing?

If we can't protect him we might as well trade him for someone we can protect. Which sucks because he's one of my favourite prospects..

May 27, 2012
Earth
I think management decides to shift gears in the rebuild and we end up moving Monahan for RyJo. It probably turns into a blockbuster if Janko impresses. Something like Monahan, Backlund + Jokipakka for Johansen + Ekholm.

Monahan rebounds next year, we extend RyJo to a higher average than Monny and the whole deal ends up being lateral, at best.

but-why.gif

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm personally hoping for Tavares. He's as legit of a #1C as there could possibly be in this league, he fits the age group, and I guarantee he'd fit well with Gaudreau. The only question is what + is the right one on top of Monahan. Tavares only has two years left and then he will be in the 9-10 mil range.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
McKenzie: ‘Calgary is definitely listening on Dougie Hamilton’

During a Monday afternoon appearance on Leafs Lunch on Toronto’s TSN 1050, NHL Insider Bob McKenzie was asked he had heard anything about the Leafs being interested in Dougie Hamilton.

“I’m sure they probably are,” surmised McKenzie. “I mean, listen – they want to improve their defense. If Hamilton is available – and we don’t really know if he is or isn’t. Calgary is definitely listening on Dougie Hamilton. That’s not the same as wanting to trade him. Montreal was listening on P.K. Subban too, as they told us on multiple occasions.

“So I don’t have any evidence to suggest anything is imminent. Would the Leafs like to bolster their blueline? I’m sure they would. That’s the next logical step in the progression for this hockey team.

“You heard Mike Babcock talk about how he likes his Top 3. And rightfully so. Rielly, Zaitsev, and Gardiner are legit Top-4 NHL defensemen. Babcock says, ‘We’ve got to sort out 4, 5, and 6. Who wants the 4, 5, and 6 spots?’ The problem you run into is all of the guys that are competing for 4, 5, and 6 and mostly 6s and 7s. And so a couple of those guys are being asked to play at 4 and 5, and they haven’t been very good.”

Both Darren Dreger and Elliotte Friedman have mentioned in recent weeks that Flames general manager Brad Treliving has told them he isn’t shopping Hamilton, but that’s the point where you can get into the semantic game of ‘shopping’ versus ‘listening.’

Here we go again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad