Friedman: Arizona looking for a young NHL-ready center in return for Martin Hanzal

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yotes will have to add a significant piece with Hanzal if thats what they are looking for... Hurt non stop and a UFA soon... Lets see what Chayka can pull off

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Hanzal is the kind of player who fits well in the 29 other teams

Sadly, we Montreal don't have the asset :(

Hanzal(50%retained) for Mike McCarron.

Looks like I was wrong !

I would throw a conditional pick depending if he signs or not but yeah, the value seems fair. Hanzal is what I'm expecting McCarron to be in the future.

Last edited:

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Hanzal is the kind of player who fits well in the 29 other teams

Sadly, we Montreal don't have the asset :(

Looks like I was wrong !

I would throw a conditional pick depending if he signs or not but yeah, the value seems fair. Hanzal is what I'm expecting McCarron to be in the future.

Habs have a long term centre problem. I like Hanzal, but Bergevin is not moving McCarron for a rental unless he's viewed as busted. I could see the Habs offering JAcob De La Rose and a couple of 2nds for Hanzal if a centre is what Arizona really wants. Otherwise I could see Andrighetto or Carr dangled. Habs probably get outbid..

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Summer UFA, 35 points on a good year. Maybe 2nd if I am being kind.

ELC AHL center with 3rd line upside. Maybe some older NCAA center.

Frank Vatrano or similar?
No thank you.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Man I really don't want to trade him, but understand that it's definitely time

Don't really know who would be fair though...Strome is definitely too much..and every other young center I can think of would make us need to add.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I would like some help understanding Hanzal's apparent appeal.

Since an 81 game season in 2009-2010, his games played high is 65.
In his entire NHL career, he has hit exactly 40 points once. He's never had 20 goals, never 30 assists. He's also a pending UFA and will probably get overpaid like everyone else does in the UFA market.

Why would any team give up a young NHL center for him? As a Devils fan, I would offer up Jacob Josefson and a 3rd rounder.... only because seeing Josefson in the Devils lineup makes me frustrated and I don't particularly care about 3rd round picks.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Summer UFA, 35 points on a good year. Maybe 2nd if I am being kind.

ELC AHL center with 3rd line upside. Maybe some older NCAA center.

Frank Vatrano or similar?

Vatrano will never play C in professional hockey. He is a shoot first winger through and through.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hanzel seems like a good fit behind Tavares.
Strome,Nelson might interest Arizona.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014

In his entire NHL career, he has hit exactly 40 points once. He's never had 20 goals, never 30 assists. He's also a pending UFA and will probably get overpaid like everyone else does in the UFA market.

Why would any team give up a young NHL center for him? As a Devils fan, I would offer up Jacob Josefson and a 3rd rounder.... only because seeing Josefson in the Devils lineup makes me frustrated and I don't particularly care about 3rd round picks.

Because when healthy Hanzal is a unique kind of impact player in the NHL. Those kinds of player don't normally get moved at the TDL, and given his very reasonable cap plus rentension he will likely be the best piece available.

Honestly you can't really gain an appreciation for Hanzal's game through looking at stats, you're better off asking Sharks, Ducks, and King's fans how his game is and how he can shutdown bigtime players

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hanzal(50%retained) for Mike McCarron.

yea no..

Habs aren't trading their top prospect for the rental of a third liner
McCarron is already nhl ready and he's probably going to end up better than Hanzal in just a few years

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Hanzal is a solid 2C when healthy. Can take all the tough match ups and is good on the dot. Not sure how to value him as a rental even, given his health. A cup contender might pay a premium because Hanzal could be the difference maker, does so many things well. I also think the TDL could be a different market this year with expansion coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad