Friedman: Arizona looking for a young NHL-ready center in return for Martin Hanzal

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That's a bargain compared to Bolland, and Kruger will actually play.
Bolland is on LTIR and will never play for the Coyotes. That deal was done to acquire Crouse who just surpassed the 9 game mark in AZ, meaning he's staying up with the big club as a 19 year old.

if Chicago wants to add a 1st round pick to Kruger (given they don't have any prospects of Crouse's caliber)....let's talk :)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Hanzal hasn't played a full season this decade.

While I totally agree with the assessment of Hanzal (too injury prone to be worth a lot) I do find it funny that many are the same people argue that Pouliot is fine when the Oilers are trying to pawn him off in trades. There's really not all that much difference between the 2 with time missed for injuries.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Was thinking spooner until I found out hanzal was a UFA. Hanzal and a 2nd for spoons but make it a January trade so vatrano can slide in where spooner is now on the lw

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers offer up Anton Lander for Hanzal.

He's young(ish)... a centre, good on the dot and defensively sound and he even scores a goal every season as an offensive bonus.

Is the deal done yet?

How about now?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Oilers offer up Anton Lander for Hanzal.

He's young(ish)... a centre, good on the dot and defensively sound and he even scores a goal every season as an offensive bonus.

Is the deal done yet?

How about now?

Hanzal plus a second round pick for Drai works.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Hanzal plus a second round pick for Drai works.

I am amazed how nobody has collected a bucket of points for this valuation.

If you add 2.5 seasons of OEL instead of the 2nd the value is closer.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well this thread has gone from bad to worse.

Perhaps it should be closed until Hanzal is back playing for a while. Maybe there will be better discussion as to his trade value.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well this thread has gone from bad to worse.

Perhaps it should be closed until Hanzal is back playing for a while. Maybe there will be better discussion as to his trade value.
I don't think this thread has been bad. All of these are solid conversation starters:
nick cousins or bellafar

Ryan Strome (NYI) to AZ For Hanzal

Ryan Spooner?

I don't know how the cap would work, but I'm a Hanzal fan. I don't know if other Sharks fans would agree, but I'd consider something around Tierney for Hanzal. Tierney is fast, young, versatile, a good PKer, great passer, but he's weak and tends to get pushed off the puck. Basically his flaws should be easily fixed. Hanzal would solidify our centre depth, and then some. Plus it'd allow us to play Hertl with the Joes or even play Couture on the wings.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Hanzal - Labanc/Meier
Karlsson/Nieto - Wingels - Ward

Man would I ever love that lineup. Centres are absolutely stacked. Right wing depth is exceptional. The left wing is talented and very deep. Of course my suggestion of Tierney for Hanzal is a just a basis. I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Nick Cousins or Scott Laughton could be possible players of interest. Any idea what he is looking at in terms of contract?

Hanzal for DD + McCarron is a basis I could work with

Hanzel seems like a good fit behind Tavares.
Strome,Nelson might interest Arizona.

A Sharks deal would likely look like Tierney and Nieto for Hanzal at 50%.

burmistrov!

Riley Sheahan could use a change of scenery.

Most are missing a 2nd rounder going to Arizona but all are worth looking at.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I don't know how the cap would work, but I'm a Hanzal fan. I don't know if other Sharks fans would agree, but I'd consider something around Tierney for Hanzal. Tierney is fast, young, versatile, a good PKer, great passer, but he's weak and tends to get pushed off the puck. Basically his flaws should be easily fixed. Hanzal would solidify our centre depth, and then some. Plus it'd allow us to play Hertl with the Joes or even play Couture on the wings.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Hanzal - Labanc/Meier
Karlsson/Nieto - Wingels - Ward

Man would I ever love that lineup. Centres are absolutely stacked. Right wing depth is exceptional. The left wing is talented and very deep. Of course my suggestion of Tierney for Hanzal is a just a basis. I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.
I actually like this deal from both perspectives, of course San Jose adds something like a 2nd but both teams would come out as winners. Just look at San Jose's line up afterwards, that's scary!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If he is healthy he will get a lot more than what most people are predicting. Big shutdown center that is good in the dot. He would be a huge addition to any team that added him and would transform a lineup with his skill set. Just look at recent prices the past few years, he will command a premium from any team looking for a safety net that they can count on for a cup run.

I'm sure the Wings would like to add him, but don't have much to offer. Sheahan + 2nd is likely the best they can do but that offer likely gets beat. Not to mention Sheahan is struggling mightily to start the year.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Kruger is 26, in his 6th year in the NHL, he has a multi-year deal for $3m and he's not very good, so I'll assume you're going to include Tyler Motte and Ryan Hartman in the deal.
You either don't watch him play or you are an absolute fool if you think that Marcus Kruger "isn't very good". He's one of the absolute best pure defensive bottom 6 centers in the NHL. There's a reason why he made Sweden's World Cup and Olympic roster over forwards who have scored significantly more points than him. He's a known commodity.

Not a fit for a trade for Hanzal? Sure, I'd agree. Overpaid a bit? Yup. Not good? Lol....

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'd give up McCarron for him but I'd want a conditional pick back based on games played or playoff performance or something, and DD would have to go for salary

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I have no doubt that if Hanzal is healthy a legit cup contender would give up an NHL ready center around the deadline

Maybe like a 3rd line Center for him, Doubt any team would surrender a top 6 center with tons of potential for him though. As a Wings fan i would do something around Sheahan for Hanzal doubt Arizona would but with only 3 points in 16 games doubt that Arizona would have any interest in him. Would love to see Hanzal in Detroit if he can stay healthy he's a big body that we could definitely use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad