Friedman: Arizona looking for a young NHL-ready center in return for Martin Hanzal

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
So basically they're looking for a very good young prospect for a guy who has averaged only 50 games played in the last 4 season, and whose career high is 41 points?

Seems fair.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
How much is Hanzal gonna get as a UFA? Any reports out there? Surely over 5M? Hes been playing as Arizonas defensive 1C/2C for over 6-7 years.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So basically they're looking for a very good young prospect for a guy who has averaged only 50 games played in the last 4 season, and whose career high is 41 points?

Seems fair.

They never said a very good young prospect. All they said was a young NHL ready center. For all we know that could be a 23/24ish C who can play in the bottom 6.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
How much is Hanzal gonna get as a UFA? Any reports out there? Surely over 5M? Hes been playing as Arizonas defensive 1C/2C for over 6-7 years.

Considering he's always injured: I see him joining another club for a 1-2 year tryout for slightly less than what he makes now.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
any more then 4 is to much. Getting up there in age and injuries are a major factor

Big centerman, still in his prime, plays top end defensive minutes for his team. Yea he gets injured a lot but hes still gonna get paid.

4M is what top end defensive 3C's get paid, Hanzal has always played 1st line minutes in defensive situations.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Big centerman, still in his prime, plays top end defensive minutes for his team. Yea he gets injured a lot but hes still gonna get paid.

Not saying he isn't just saying it will be to much if he's over 4 Paying someone like him that gets injured a lot on my team (gaborik) and it sucks have that much cap on the ir and hard to replace in lineup. The less he gets paid the better the cap hit looks when hes out

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Yeah, someone is gonna pay him, and I'd bet they'll regret it in a few years. I'm guessing a 5 year 25m deal.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
A Sharks deal would likely look like Tierney and Nieto for Hanzal at 50%.

I'd go the other way - Tierney + Wingels for Hanzal and a pick. I think Nieto's cap hit makes him more valuable to us overall. And Wingels should be a good deadline trade chip, even with the cap hit, making the pick a null add for the Yotes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd go the other way - Tierney + Wingels for Hanzal and a pick. I think Nieto's cap hit makes him more valuable to us overall. And Wingels should be a good deadline trade chip, even with the cap hit, making the pick a null add for the Yotes.

If Wingels continues producing and playing as he has, he's not going anywhere at the deadline. And with Nieto not being in the lineup most of the time, that value you're placing on him is ultimately meaningless.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If Hanzal's not injured around the trade deadline, I would offer Plekanec 1.5m retained + Hudon/DLR for him. Basically by the time Plekanec is done, they have Hudon/DLR filling in.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Gauthier maybe? He can play 4th line + PK this season probably, could end up a Hanzal clone in a couple years. Not sure Hanzal makes sense in the Leafs lineup unless Bozak + Smith are gone, but I could see Babcock wanting to get some defensive vet presence with the way the year is going. Could make sense if Babcock wants to get one of the rookies on Kadri's line without having to worry about them playing exclusively shutdown minutes.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
Hanzal will get traded, but it will be for less than most suspect due to his injuries. I do see some idiot GM giving him too much money and term as an UFA, though. I just hope the Habs do not invest in him. I like the player, but he is way too beaten up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad