Friedman: Arizona looking for a young NHL-ready center in return for Martin Hanzal

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
If he's re-signed to a reasonable contract I'd consider moving Strome for him, but then that's another body we'd have to protect.

And if it's for a rental, no way I'd trade Strome, especially considering this team does not look PO's bound.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't know how the cap would work, but I'm a Hanzal fan. I don't know if other Sharks fans would agree, but I'd consider something around Tierney for Hanzal. Tierney is fast, young, versatile, a good PKer, great passer, but he's weak and tends to get pushed off the puck. Basically his flaws should be easily fixed. Hanzal would solidify our centre depth, and then some. Plus it'd allow us to play Hertl with the Joes or even play Couture on the wings.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Hanzal - Labanc/Meier
Karlsson/Nieto - Wingels - Ward

Man would I ever love that lineup. Centres are absolutely stacked. Right wing depth is exceptional. The left wing is talented and very deep. Of course my suggestion of Tierney for Hanzal is a just a basis. I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'd do Tierney - or more ideally one of Chartier or O'Regan for him. Think he would slot in perfectly with the Joes, allowing us to move Hertl to 3c.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Isles are desperate, we will see how desperate. At the moment, like often, it seems Snow doesn't have a clue what is right and wrong. Chayka should win this easily.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
:laugh: Top prospect for a rental? yeah right

Sure. It's normal:

BLACKHAWKS GET: F Andrew Ladd, D Jay Harrison, F Matt Fraser

JETS GET: F Marko Dano, 2016 1st round pick, 2018 conditional 3rd round pick

--

PANTHERS GET: F Jiri Hudler

FLAMES GET: 2016 2nd round pick, 2018 4th round pick

--

HURRICANES GET: F Aleksi Saarela, 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 2nd round pick

RANGERS GET: C Eric Staal

--

KINGS GET: F Kris Versteeg

HURRICANES GET: F Valentin Zykov, conditional 5th round pick

--

STARS GET: D Kris Russell

FLAMES GET: D Jyrki Jokipakka, F Brett Pollock, conditional 1st or 2nd round pick

--

BRUINS GET: F Lee Stempniak

DEVILS GET: 2017 2nd round pick, 2016 4th round pick

--

AVALANCHE GET: F Mikkel Boedker

COYOTES GET: F Alex Tanguay, C Conner Bleackley, D Kyle Wood

--

^ most of those principal rentals can't carry Hanzal's jock and most got the equivalent of two 2nd rounders. Hanzal should get more.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sure. It's normal:

BLACKHAWKS GET: F Andrew Ladd, D Jay Harrison, F Matt Fraser

JETS GET: F Marko Dano, 2016 1st round pick, 2018 conditional 3rd round pick

--

PANTHERS GET: F Jiri Hudler

FLAMES GET: 2016 2nd round pick, 2018 4th round pick

--

HURRICANES GET: F Aleksi Saarela, 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 2nd round pick

RANGERS GET: C Eric Staal

--

KINGS GET: F Kris Versteeg

HURRICANES GET: F Valentin Zykov, conditional 5th round pick

--

STARS GET: D Kris Russell

FLAMES GET: D Jyrki Jokipakka, F Brett Pollock, conditional 1st or 2nd round pick

--

BRUINS GET: F Lee Stempniak

DEVILS GET: 2017 2nd round pick, 2016 4th round pick

--

AVALANCHE GET: F Mikkel Boedker

COYOTES GET: F Alex Tanguay, C Conner Bleackley, D Kyle Wood

--

^ most of those principal rentals can't carry Hanzal's jock and most got the equivalent of two 2nd rounders. Hanzal should get more.

Name one of those returns that was a LEGIT NHL READY center, and none of those packages you listed was a top prospect

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don't think CBJ would be the highest bidder, and I don't think we're quite at the point to be making moves like this, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading Karlsson+ for Hanzal. Karlsson has been a great 3C for us so far but Hanzal's game is much more refined and center depth of Wennberg-Hanzal-Dubinsky is pretty darn good.

Arizona fans probably don't value Karlsson as highly though, and that's cool. Doesn't have the offensive ceiling they're looking for I'm sure.

rt

May 13, 2004
Name one of those returns that was a LEGIT NHL READY center, and none of those packages you listed was a top prospect

Dano and a 1st equals a top prospect. A 2nd and a 4th is pretty good for a half dead Hudler. Versteeg netted Zykov and a 5th despite Versteeg straight up sucking. Staal got two 2nds, which is a nice return. Pollack was a recent 2nd and a conditional 1st/2nd is a nice add for Russel, who's not as valuable as Hanzal. Stempniak isn't much and he got a 2nd and a 4th. Boedker picked up Tanguay, who outscored him, a young, big, RHD that's leading his new AHL team in scoring and a 2nd rounder (Bleackley compensatory pick). And Boedker was ice cold, soft, and floating for months leading up to the deadline.

Point is, as far as rentals go, Hanzal is a better buy than all of those guys other than maybe Ladd. If you average those returns out, it's not much less valuable (as an average) than McCarron. So Hanzal(50%) for McCarron reply isn't that far off. Maybe AZ adds a 4th or something stupid. It's the deadline. That's how it goes. None of the teams listed above won and I'm sure all regret their trades. Someone will pay too much for Hanzal and probably regret it too. He's a top defensive C and is 6'6' and he is a face off machine that plays mean as hell and hits to hurt. He's what you want to beef up for a playoff run. Big, nasty, and good in all the little ways. He's going to get a big fat return.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd do Tierney - or more ideally one of Chartier or O'Regan for him. Think he would slot in perfectly with the Joes, allowing us to move Hertl to 3c.

I don't think CBJ would be the highest bidder, and I don't think we're quite at the point to be making moves like this, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading Karlsson+ for Hanzal. Karlsson has been a great 3C for us so far but Hanzal's game is much more refined and center depth of Wennberg-Hanzal-Dubinsky is pretty darn good.

Arizona fans probably don't value Karlsson as highly though, and that's cool. Doesn't have the offensive ceiling they're looking for I'm sure.

I don't mind these offers, assuming there's a conditional 1st/2nd in each.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Dano and a 1st equals a top prospect. A 2nd and a 4th is pretty good for a half dead Hudler. Versteeg netted Zykov and a 5th despite Versteeg straight up sucking. Staal got two 2nds, which is a nice return. Pollack was a recent 2nd and a conditional 1st/2nd is a nice add for Russel, who's not as valuable as Hanzal. Stempniak isn't much and he got a 2nd and a 4th. Boedker picked up Tanguay, who outscored him, a young, big, RHD that's leading his new AHL team in scoring and a 2nd rounder (Bleackley compensatory pick). And Boedker was ice cold, soft, and floating for months leading up to the deadline.

Point is, as far as rentals go, Hanzal is a better buy than all of those guys other than maybe Ladd. If you average those returns out, it's not much less valuable (as an average) than McCarron. So Hanzal(50%) for McCarron reply isn't that far off. Maybe AZ adds a 4th or something stupid. It's the deadline. That's how it goes. None of the teams listed above won and I'm sure all regret their trades. Someone will pay too much for Hanzal and probably regret it too. He's a top defensive C and is 6'6' and he is a face off machine that plays mean as hell and hits to hurt. He's what you want to beef up for a playoff run. Big, nasty, and good in all the little ways. He's going to get a big fat return.

all that comes with the premise of "if you are lucky".

Dano and a 1st seems like a great return, at the time, hasnt even shown to be a legit NHLer since then and we can see what the late 1st pans out to. I cant speak to all the other returns you listed as I dont heavily scout every farm system

I will say this, would a package in years past of Gormley, Rundblad, McIlrath, Tinordi, and/or a 1st mean much to you?

Wait for the chickens to hatch. The thread asked for an NHL READY center and none of the proposed or past history has shown thats what gets offered up

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Unless that NHL ready center is of bottom 6 quality in terms of potential a team would be crazy to trade him for Hanzal.

rt

May 13, 2004
all that comes with the premise of "if you are lucky".

Dano and a 1st seems like a great return, at the time, hasnt even shown to be a legit NHLer since then and we can see what the late 1st pans out to. I cant speak to all the other returns you listed as I dont heavily scout every farm system

I will say this, would a package in years past of Gormley, Rundblad, McIlrath, Tinordi, and/or a 1st mean much to you?

Wait for the chickens to hatch. The thread asked for an NHL READY center and none of the proposed or past history has shown thats what gets offered up

I take that to mean an AHL center. And yes, AHL centers still have tremendous bust potential. And that's okay. Or perhaps an NHL center currently buried on the 4th line but still has some upside potential to be more than that. Also, with some potential that they won't end up much of anything.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Summer UFA, 35 points on a good year. Maybe 2nd if I am being kind.

ELC AHL center with 3rd line upside. Maybe some older NCAA center.

Frank Vatrano or similar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad