OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
anybody else have their endgame tickets yet? the amc on stapley has a dolby theater, which is what i always go to.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
J.J. Abrams knows how to make great teasers.

Too bad he has no concept of what makes a good movie. The Force Awakens (and, for that matter, his "reinterpretation" of Star Trek) was visually arresting and narratively a catastrophe. This time, he's got the added task of undoing everything Rian Johnson did to sabotage his stupid puzzle box that he built with the first movie.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to see it, because I'm a masochist nerd.

cloverfield and super 8 were terrific, imo.

Reactions: MIG

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So a real question: What do you like about The last Jedi.
For me its just not even a good made film.
And i am not talking from a fan and World persepctive [(it's butchering there a whole lot, they should have had some people who knew something about the Star Wars universe and the rules and physics in it (you just need fuel for the initial push in space but the momentum will drive you forward even without fuel)] but more from a story-telling and movie-building perspective.

The dialoge is bad, the characters are bad written and the the movie has so many damn plotholes it should be a black hole.
No real usage of good plot-devices and just cheap storytelling and jokes make it a bad film in my opinion.

But i am interested what you liked.

Everything.....

I don’t go into a movie looking for plot errors.... or costuming mistakes.... or terminology gaffes (a parsec isn’t a measurement in time).... or CGI boo boos.... etc. etc.

I go to be entertained for a couple of hours.

The Last Jedi did that. As did Force Awakens.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Everything.....

I don’t go into a movie looking for plot errors.... or costuming mistakes.... or terminology gaffes (a parsec isn’t a measurement in time).... or CGI boo boos.... etc. etc.

A fair point.

I am the same but i am spoiled by really really good films.
I don't go that often into the cinema so most of the time i watch films at home or back in the day at high school (i had 1 week of only watching super hero movies).
And i ganed a taste for some really good movies (your name, goodfellas (that one-shot-scene, sweet), high noon, Chinatown, The godfather, Redline (awesome movie if you just want to be entertained), Star Wars 1-6 (yeah i like the prequels, they don't have great writing, but the world building is perfect), Bud Spencer films, Asterix films (those are just great :D), Spaceballs, everything-you-want-to-know-about-sex and quentin Tarantino movies.

But the new star Wars films and those Super hero movies? they are not my kind of entertainment (except guardians of the galaxy that was nice).
I like the batman movies by nolan though. but everything else is too predictable and just cheesy with the dialog and those forced jokes. If i want to hear a cool one-liner i watch 80s movies with real action-heros. And not chris hemthsworth or some other dude.

I might be a fairly sophisticated guy. But on the other hand i like the old bond movies.

I am going to bed guys, have a nice night :D

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Everything.....

same. just looked at eps 4, 5 and 6. lots of bad acting, bad dialog, bad editing and goofs. still love em though.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't go looking either, yet they still find me. :naughty:

Oh.... a plot magnet....

Quit watching movies like this then....
movie-audience-picture-id157572648

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the original 3

It was good. I really loved the Han Solo movie. I think the garbage that was The Last Jedi kept a lot of people from seeing a really great movie. Would love for Ron Howard to make another.

I think the name of the movie and the fact that Luke (at least as a force ghost), Lando and the emperor are in the movie shows how much they are trying to make people forget TLJ. Hope it works. I was really going to wait to download it for free but the trailer has me reconsidering.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I've only seen the pilot, as I refuse to buy CBS All-Access and am too chicken to pirate it. But I've kept track of it through plot summaries and so forth. I do like the touch of Pike's backstory being put in there, but over my lifetime I've started to get tired of one thing about late-era Star Trek that I'm also tired of in Star Wars - and that is that everything of importance in these vast, imagination-sparking universes created by Roddenberry and Lucas seems to happen to the same small groups of people.

I love the original characters so that's my favorite part in the new Star Trek movies/series. I thought they way they brought Star Trek back with the time traveling sequence was genius. That's also why I hated TLJ. Ruined my favorite characters and really made all the new male characters look weak and stupid. Discovery is great. I haven't paid for anything on TV since like 2010. I download everything off the same site. No special apps or anything either. Send me a message if you want the web address.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the original 3

The ending scene - you know which one I'm talking about - is the biggest tentpole moment in the entire movie series, except maybe for Luke shooting the torpedoes into the exhaust port. I could watch that on repeat all day.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So a real question: What do you like about The last Jedi.
For me its just not even a good made film.
And i am not talking from a fan and World persepctive [(it's butchering there a whole lot, they should have had some people who knew something about the Star Wars universe and the rules and physics in it (you just need fuel for the initial push in space but the momentum will drive you forward even without fuel)] but more from a story-telling and movie-building perspective.

The dialoge is bad, the characters are bad written and the the movie has so many damn plotholes it should be a black hole.
No real usage of good plot-devices and just cheap storytelling and jokes make it a bad film in my opinion.

But i am interested what you liked.

Look, I'll be honest - maybe much of my Last Jedi love has more to do with how terrible The Force Awakens is than how good of a movie Rian Johnson made. I don't want to nerd out too much in this thread because I'm already on narrative thin ice around these parts :D but suffice to say that I think J.J. Abrams makes good teasers and trailers and would be a fantastic PowerPoint presentation guy, but is a terrible storyteller. His Star Trek and Star Wars movies have amazing visual flourishes, but they don't feel canonical, if that makes any sense. It's like he creates plot points specifically to show off cool visual effects and then sews them together haphazardly into a plot quilt, then stuffs it all into a puzzle box of alluded-to mysteries. It also feels like Abrams wants to retcon everything he touches because he feels like he could have done it in a cooler way (i.e. renaming the Rebellion "The Resistance," the Empire "The First Order," the Sith "The Knights of Ren," and the entire plot of Star Trek Into Darkness).

Anyway, I'd better stop before I suffer from more logorrhea. I just liked how Rian Johnson produced a story, one that stripped off the fanservice and fanfic elements of TFA and produced something narratively challenging.

Reactions: MIG

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Look, I'll be honest - maybe much of my Last Jedi love has more to do with how terrible The Force Awakens is than how good of a movie Rian Johnson made. I don't want to nerd out too much in this thread because I'm already on narrative thin ice around these parts :D but suffice to say that I think J.J. Abrams makes good teasers and trailers and would be a fantastic PowerPoint presentation guy, but is a terrible storyteller. His Star Trek and Star Wars movies have amazing visual flourishes, but they don't feel canonical, if that makes any sense. It's like he creates plot points specifically to show off cool visual effects and then sews them together haphazardly into a plot quilt, then stuffs it all into a puzzle box of alluded-to mysteries. It also feels like Abrams wants to retcon everything he touches because he feels like he could have done it in a cooler way (i.e. renaming the Rebellion "The Resistance," the Empire "The First Order," the Sith "The Knights of Ren," and the entire plot of Star Trek Into Darkness).

Anyway, I'd better stop before I suffer from more logorrhea. I just liked how Rian Johnson produced a story, one that stripped off the fanservice and fanfic elements of TFA and produced something narratively challenging.
I get that.
The thing is that they made that whole trilogy without a prepared story in hand.
Abrams did the first movie and had an idea for the following films, but rian johnson declined and made his own stuff.
That is really bad preparations and now they are in a big mess. I don#t think that Abrams can make the trilogy end good (except when he makes the "it-was-all-a-dream-move").
you need to atleast write a story direction before making films, know how to end it all.

Most writers first make the ending and beginning and then the middle. That way you can work out the story better and don't write yourself into a corner.

This trilogy is the result of bad planning and letting the directors do what the want.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all of the Star Wars movies. Many of the new ones kinda of blend together in my head. I like the older three from the 80s and I think all of the newer ones are kinda bad. Except for Rogue One. That one was really good, I thought. Whoever was in charge of Rogue One should remake episodes one, two and three.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jeez, I'm getting boned. The 3k is on a 2016 VW Jetta. It was like 24k. Assuming I have it for 8 years, I will have paid for it twice (8x3000). Yippie.
.....but you have "free" medical insurance. ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for insurance? It's my understanding that it's much, much cheaper in 'Merica. And I think I live in the most expensive "zone" in Canada.

I pay ~$3,000/yr (2200 USD). This is on a 2016 car, someone with no accidents, couple of speeding tickets, and have been driving for 10+ years.
You have to compare dollar to dollar. In other words you don't calculate in the exchange rate.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all of the Star Wars movies. Many of the new ones kinda of blend together in my head. I like the older three from the 80s and I think all of the newer ones are kinda bad. Except for Rogue One. That one was really good, I thought. Whoever was in charge of Rogue One should remake episodes one, two and three.
Episodes one, two and three ain't that bad.
They have excelent world building but dialoge wise they are not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille