OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't mind people raving over a show, but what's interesting is that the media coverage acts as if everyone is watching.

GOT is a good example. Only 15% of American's subscribe to HBO, and according to Nielson a little over half watch GOT.

What this means is that 92% of American's are not watching the hottest show on TV.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I don't mind people raving over a show, but what's interesting is that the media coverage acts as if everyone is watching.

GOT is a good example. Only 15% of American's subscribe to HBO, and according to Nielson a little over half watch GOT.

What this means is that 92% of American's are not watching the hottest show on TV.

in germany it's the same.
Most people don't care and the papers didn't care eighter. But now with the last season starting it's all over.
:P

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
in germany it's the same.
Most people don't care and the papers didn't care eighter. But now with the last season starting it's all over.
:P

I do realize GOT is somewhat of a global phenomenon. HBO has high-quality programming IMO, which is part of the reason I own AT&T stock.

Reactions: Edenjung

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Trying not to sound like a hipster, but I've never seen Game of Thrones except in oblique references (like Ben Wyatt's face when Leslie Knope gives him a GoT throne for his birthday). I started the first book a couple of years ago and didn't quite get through the first chapter before admitting defeat.

Now, Breaking Bad - there was a show that I couldn't stop watching.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Trying not to sound like a hipster, but I've never seen Game of Thrones except in oblique references (like Ben Wyatt's face when Leslie Knope gives him a GoT throne for his birthday). I started the first book a couple of years ago and didn't quite get through the first chapter before admitting defeat.

I tried GOT...not my cup of tea.

Also tried Breaking Bad...didn't grab me either, which is somewhat odd because I am a fan of Better Call Saul.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”

Also tried Breaking Bad...didn't grab me either, which is somewhat odd because I am a fan of Better Call Saul.

I'm biased but i would sincerely give Breaking Bad one more shot if i were you. The 1st season has a good story line but at times some corny acting. The budget was lower in the pilot season so the product put out was a but more sloppy. Once you hit season 2 i think you will be more captivated. Seasons 3-5 are a masterpiece.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

It's because all the people who write about tv and all their friends watch the same stuff.

Though GoT certainly has a good audience for where the tv landscape is these days.

It's the smaller HBO shows (most of them) that get outsized coverage

Reactions: 0point1 and MIG

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

If I had to choose I'd choose Breaking Bad but IMO Game of Thrones is just as good, especially when they stopped with the over the top sex shock stuff. Sure it's still a bit racy which is fine but the first couple of seasons it seemed like they were trying waaaay to hard.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017

i’m a fan of both bb and saul. but your statement is similar to me, in that i love curb your enthusiasm, but hate seinfeld.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
I just watched in the lecture (even got me in touch with some ladies :D)
and i have to say its very cool. But some things are a bit... hmmm.

Why did nobody question that Jon can ride a freeaking dragon (It'S a wyvern to be 100% correct but who cares) i mean, isn't it said that only Targaryan can ride them? Shouldn't that ring a bell with Dany?

What i really liked was the meeting between Sansa and Tyrion. Sansa shows that she knows how to play the game, and she learnt from the best (Littlefinger, Olenna and Cersi).

Also i liked the reaction of the Lords of the North. The situation is hard for them, they fought for their freedom the whole time and their king just bowed his knee to a forgei and a Targaryan nontheless.
I have some ideas how they could have avoided the situation, but for those Dany had to be more compromissive and not that blunt and hard (she needs to give those in her alliance a hand and not just say, i am king and thats it. That doesn't work. She should know better, but on teh other hand that worked her whole life so...)

What i really missed was a meeting between Lyanna Mromont and Jorah. That would be awesome.

Regarding the last stand and Winterfell i have that to say: That is stupid from a tactical standpoint.
They know the north. They should have tried to evacuate most of it's inhabitans and moved to the Neck and beyond it.
The Neck is a natural chokepoint, you can controll there who is coming through it . You know the swamps there better than any other. That slows the night king and his army down and makes them vulnerable to guerillia attacks and traps.

But yeah give the night king the advantage and place to field all his troops all around you.
In the neck you can atleast controll how many enemies you are fighting.

But thats all from me :D
I know it's alot to read.

yeah, i agree about jon snow riding a dragon. dany doesn’t even doubt that he can, or not.

i thought it was funny bran didn’t tell jon first thing. that allowed aunt and nephew to get in one more make out sesh.

and sansa sent tyrion a little message - i’m now more cunning than you.

you’re right about dany, especially the last part. each time she overtook slavers, she was extremely arrogant, and successful.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017

take into consideration viewers in other countries, and got is one of the most pirated tv shows ever.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sansa Stark is the character I most cheer against. She's such a wet turd and has been from scene 1. WHY is she still a character in the show? I've hated every Sansa storyline. She's the biggest waste of time in the show. I wish they would replace every minute of Sansa post season one with literally any other storyline.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Sansa Stark is the character I most cheer against. She's such a wet turd and has been from scene 1. WHY is she still a character in the show? I've hated every Sansa storyline. She's the biggest waste of time in the show. I wish they would replace every minute of Sansa post season one with literally any other storyline.

is say the whole dorne storyline was worse.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Only because they got so far away from the books. The book-Dorne arc is interesting. The TV Dorne arc is insipid.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Everything.....

I don’t go into a movie looking for plot errors.... or costuming mistakes.... or terminology gaffes (a parsec isn’t a measurement in time).... or CGI boo boos.... etc. etc.

I go to be entertained for a couple of hours.

The Last Jedi did that. As did Force Awakens.

The explanation I've heard for that one is that the "Kessel run" is a heavily-patrolled smuggling route with dangerous areas that pilots would often go around instead of through, such as Black hole clusters, and an asteroid cluster encased in a nebula arm. Solo took the extra risks and covered a shorter distance in moving from his point of origin to his destination.

This explanation is not considered canon, though.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
The explanation I've heard for that one is that the "Kessel run" is a heavily-patrolled smuggling route with dangerous areas that pilots would often go around instead of through, such as Black hole clusters, and an asteroid cluster encased in a nebula arm. Solo took the extra risks and covered a shorter distance in moving from his point of origin to his destination.

This explanation is not considered canon, though.

a parsec is a measurement of distance, not time. i believe that was the original terminology issue stated. when it’s referenced in the movies it sounds like they’re referring to it as a measurement of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->