OT: Arizona Coyotes Lounge XIV - Life, The Universe and “Marvel Studios kicks DC Comics’ ass.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for insurance? It's my understanding that it's much, much cheaper in 'Merica. And I think I live in the most expensive "zone" in Canada.

I pay ~$3,000/yr (2200 USD). This is on a 2016 car, someone with no accidents, couple of speeding tickets, and have been driving for 10+ years.

I pay $1,150 for a six-month policy that includes comprehensive and collision coverage (not legally required by the state of Arizona but is nice to have, if I bought only liability insurance it would go down to about $700 or so).

Further details: 2005 Subaru Forester, 32 years old, single, female, clean driving record in terms of traffic violations, but one at-fault accident on my record (single-vehicle accident where I slipped on an ice patch and ran off the road, crashed into a fence, and the vehicle was a total loss).

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
and as you can see, it’s a rather large “ballpark”. right?????
Of course, that's the point of the expression. Home plate and last row of the outfield upper deck are extremely far apart but they're still "in the ballpark".

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
Of course, that's the point of the expression. Home plate and last row of the outfield upper deck are extremely far apart but they're still "in the ballpark".

huge difference between a bunt and a home run.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
insurance companies will pay if you’re at fault or if it wasn’t your fault but the other driver has insufficient or no insurance, provided you have the proper coverages. insurance companies (not the police) will work together to establish fault in the accident. whoever is at fault needs to pay.

just a reminder - not at fault accidents can still raise your premium.

The point of my post had more to do with any delay in claim satisfaction. There shouldn't be any regardless of fault.

I also wonder how much no-fault accidents affecting premium is company dependent. Two of my no-fault accidents happened within a 10-year span. Also during that time period, I filed a claim for hurricane damage to my car. My insurance company, USAA, did not adjust my premium at all.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for insurance? It's my understanding that it's much, much cheaper in 'Merica. And I think I live in the most expensive "zone" in Canada.

I pay ~$3,000/yr (2200 USD). This is on a 2016 car, someone with no accidents, couple of speeding tickets, and have been driving for 10+ years.

My mom pays it all.
but it's damn cheap, because it's the old insurance of my deceased grandfather and we never had an accident with the car.
Neighter me or my older brother :D

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
The point of my post had more to do with any delay in claim satisfaction. There shouldn't be any regardless of fault.

I also wonder how much no-fault accidents affecting premium is company dependent. Two of my no-fault accidents happened within a 10-year span. Also during that time period, I filed a claim for hurricane damage to my car. My insurance company, USAA, did not adjust my premium at all.

companies will rate a lot of things differently (that’s why there is no use in comparing premiums), including accidents, tickets and damage claims. if you’ve been with a company for a while, they could include accident forgiveness and other loyalty benefits. this keep it just low enough to stay with them and not switch, even though your renewal prices can keep going up and up.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
companies will rate a lot of things differently (that’s why there is no use in comparing premiums), including accidents, tickets and damage claims. if you’ve been with a company for a while, they could include accident forgiveness and other loyalty benefits. this keep it just low enough to stay with them and not switch, even though your renewal prices can keep going up and up.
I don't understand why you keep trying to imply that comparing premiums is useless. If two people are both in their mid 20's, live in the same general area and have similar driving records but one is paying $1500 a year and one is paying $2500 a year, that's a clear sign the person paying $2500 should do a little investigation into why they're paying 70% more than one of their peers. That investigation may revelal a valid reason or it may reveal they're paying too much but either way the investigation may never have occurred had they not compared premiums.

To be clear I get what you're saying about how huge the variance can be between policies, I just disagree with the implication that comparing policies is of no use.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
I don't understand why you keep trying to imply that comparing premiums is useless. If two people are both in their mid 20's, live in the same general area and have similar driving records but one is paying $1500 a year and one is paying $2500 a year, that's a clear sign the person paying $2500 should do a little investigation into why they're paying 70% more than one of their peers. That investigation may revelal a valid reason or it may reveal they're paying too much but either way the investigation may never have occurred had they not compared premiums.

To be clear I get what you're saying about how huge the variance can be between policies, I just disagree with the implication that comparing policies is of no use.

because of all the unknown rating factors i already went over.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So my car finally made it to the shop. Guy says she is in bad shape. Need to get a new roof, and my rear bumper isn't aligned. Basically needs a heart transplant was his words. Bummer. We'll see what happens.

cromag27

Nov 7, 2017
So my car finally made it to the shop. Guy says she is in bad shape. Need to get a new roof, and my rear bumper isn't aligned. Basically needs a heart transplant was his words. Bummer. We'll see what happens.

i’m honestly surprised it was declared a total loss.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Disney dropped the first Star Wars Episode IX trailer today.

I’m transferring my bank account over.
To be honest i am not hyped in the sligthest. I love star wars.
When i was young i was spending my afternoons reading pages on star ships and other stuff on the german wookiepedia equivalent.
But after episode 7 and rouge one i did not watch any star wars movie. They where just too bad.
And i don't think that j.j abrams can do it better and rework the whole trilogy.

And it was all because they had no story plan for all 3 films. and rian johnson did not use the one abrams made after episode 7.
Just bad planning.

George lucas had a story line finished at least.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Disney dropped the first Star Wars Episode IX trailer today.

I’m transferring my bank account over.

J.J. Abrams knows how to make great teasers.

Too bad he has no concept of what makes a good movie. The Force Awakens (and, for that matter, his "reinterpretation" of Star Trek) was visually arresting and narratively a catastrophe. This time, he's got the added task of undoing everything Rian Johnson did to sabotage his stupid puzzle box that he built with the first movie.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to see it, because I'm a masochist nerd.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Too bad he has no concept of what makes a good movie. The Force Awakens (and, for that matter, his "reinterpretation" of Star Trek) was visually arresting and narratively a catastrophe. This time, he's got the added task of undoing everything Rian Johnson did to sabotage his stupid puzzle box that he built with the first movie.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to see it, because I'm a masochist nerd.
What do you think of the re-imagined Star Trek Discovery. I'm absolutely enthralled by it. Folding in the back story of Chris Pike from "The Menagerie" is unreal.

Reactions: RemoAZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What do you think of the re-imagined Star Trek Discovery. I'm absolutely enthralled by it. Folding in the back story of Chris Pike from "The Menagerie" is unreal.

I've only seen the pilot, as I refuse to buy CBS All-Access and am too chicken to pirate it. But I've kept track of it through plot summaries and so forth. I do like the touch of Pike's backstory being put in there, but over my lifetime I've started to get tired of one thing about late-era Star Trek that I'm also tired of in Star Wars - and that is that everything of importance in these vast, imagination-sparking universes created by Roddenberry and Lucas seems to happen to the same small groups of people.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I’m not a fan of Abram’s Star Treks either.

However I enjoyed Rian Johnson’s Last Jedi (guess I’m easy :laugh:.) Was hoping he’d do The Rise Of Skywalker as well but as I understand it he had another commitment.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I’m not a fan of Abram’s Star Treks either.

However I enjoyed Rian Johnson’s Last Jedi (guess I’m easy :laugh:.) Was hoping he’d do The Rise Of Skywalker as well but as I understand it he had another commitment.

So a real question: What do you like about The last Jedi.
For me its just not even a good made film.
And i am not talking from a fan and World persepctive [(it's butchering there a whole lot, they should have had some people who knew something about the Star Wars universe and the rules and physics in it (you just need fuel for the initial push in space but the momentum will drive you forward even without fuel)] but more from a story-telling and movie-building perspective.

The dialoge is bad, the characters are bad written and the the movie has so many damn plotholes it should be a black hole.
No real usage of good plot-devices and just cheap storytelling and jokes make it a bad film in my opinion.

But i am interested what you liked.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I've only seen the pilot, as I refuse to buy CBS All-Access and am too chicken to pirate it. But I've kept track of it through plot summaries and so forth. I do like the touch of Pike's backstory being put in there, but over my lifetime I've started to get tired of one thing about late-era Star Trek that I'm also tired of in Star Wars - and that is that everything of importance in these vast, imagination-sparking universes created by Roddenberry and Lucas seems to happen to the same small groups of people.
Does anybody watch the Orville?
I realy like that series. It's realy fun.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Does anybody watch the Orville?
I realy like that series. It's realy fun.
I was curious about it but never really been a Seth McFarlane fan, always found his humor too dumbed down and straight forward. Admittedly haven't seen a ton of Family Guy but what I had seen felt like comedy for people who don't like anything clever. Though I have heard Orville is actually much more serious than people were expecting and in a good way.

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I was curious about it but never really been a Seth McFarlane fan, always found his humor too dumbed down and straight forward. Admittedly haven't seen a ton of Family Guy but what I had seen felt like comedy for people who don't like anything clever. Though I have heard Orville is actually much more serious than people were expecting and in a good way.
It actually is.

I am all in for some intelligent jokes ( i don't like south park because of that) and the orville has some great humor but also some great siriouse moments.
I really like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad