Confirmed Trade: [ARI/FLA] Anton Stralman, Vladislav Kolyachonok, and 2024 2nd round pick for 2023 7th round pick

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Meruelo is making a bid for a new arena in Tempe and is going to secure one of the sports betting licenses that start this fall. It's not really an issue. Or not any more of an issue than it was before the OEL trade.

Of all the things to be faux concerned about, the Coyotes not looking hot for a few days before free agency starts is a weird hill to die on.
The OEL and Garland trade, was an example.

but nonetheless, I disagree with the bolded, that's the point. If you don't think losing name brand recognition in this state has any affect on financial acceptance amongst in house and local constituencies; well, you're just objectively wrong.

The degree, evidently, I'm not privy to, nor are you, but the point here is there is a risk there, that needs much more scrutiny if you care about this franchise in arizona.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The OEL and Garland trade, was an example.

but nonetheless, I disagree with the bolded, that's the point. If you don't think losing name brand recognition in this state has any affect on financial acceptance amongst in house and local constituencies; well, you're just objectively wrong.

The degree, evidently, I'm not privy to, nor are you, but the point here is there is a risk there, that needs much more scrutiny if you care about this franchise in arizona.

You keep saying you care but I have to wonder, because a majority of fans were absolutely done with OEL and knew that contract needed to go. It's TBD on Garland until they use the ~$5m he was going to be owed. Ghost is likely a straight upgrade on OEL and Bill Armstrong got paid to take him.

Let the front office put a team on the ice before clutching pearls. That's all I'm saying. They aren't done. Most of the 'bad' names acquired will never play a game.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Gotta give respect to zito. He’s totally changed the culture around Florida, gotten rid of contracts that are not the greatest in Matheson, Yandle, and stralman even. Replaced and found depth players in duclair, hornqvist, Verhaeghe. They still have their top 3 forward prospects/ young assets in lundell, Tippett, and Denisenko as well.All whilst being handcuffed with bobrovsky. Imagine how insane that team could be if instead of bob, they had dreidger and 2 more top 6/ top 4 caliber players. Next 4-5 years are looking good with this guy in charge

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
You keep saying you care but I have to wonder, because a majority of fans were absolutely done with OEL and knew that contract needed to go. It's TBD on Garland until they use the ~$5m he was going to be owed. Ghost is likely a straight upgrade on OEL and Bill Armstrong got paid to take him.

Let the front office put a team on the ice before clutching pearls. That's all I'm saying. They aren't done. Most of the 'bad' names acquired will never play a game.
What reasonably makes you wonder?
I don't see an angle that can even somewhat make you question that, but I'd love to hear it

clutching pearls ? I agreed with the sentiment of their Rebuild being, in a vacuum, perfect. Then, since this is indeed a forum, brought to light more nuanced worries of real world affects of such moves, all in the vein of furthering the potential of losing the team here, where I live.

But go on, I'd love to hear how you justify these illogical narratives

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What reasonably makes you wonder?
I don't see an angle that can even somewhat make you question that, but I'd love to hear it

clutching pearls ? I agreed with the sentiment of their Rebuild being, in a vacuum, perfect. Then, since this is indeed a forum, brought to light more nuanced worries of real world affects of such moves, all in the vein of furthering the potential of losing the team here, where I live.

But go on, I'd love to hear how you justify these illogical narratives

You keep droning on and on about the 'real world' ramifications of an offseason that isn't anywhere near done. It's pointless. It's the definition of faux concern.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We get the third if he doesn’t play I think.

I saw that, someone else mentioned they changed the conditions. But it's kinda confusing because they want them to buy him out but he can't retire? If he's bought out I don't see why he wouldn't just retire cause he's clearly done. So don't know if you'll get that pick.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
unnamed.jpg

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gourde is out for months to start the season. Their #1C will be one of Jarnkrok, McCann or Appleton - the first two having be used mostly at the wings on their former teams. And the FA class for centers is pretty horrid.. They'll have the choice of overpaying Danault or Granlund... Oh and they currently have only 9 NHL forwards under contract... 8 without Gourde.

Their D seems fine for the year (although Giodano will leave a big hole next year, but they can overpay a FA to fill it). Oleksiak's contract is clearly bad and I would worry of more FA signings if I was a Seattle fan.

Their goalies though... "good"? Their #1 has played 38 NHL career games. Their #2 has played... 37 NHL games, all last seasons and Caps fans were not impressed.

All that to say... idk how Arizona is "clearly" in tank mode, but Seattle is supposed to be competitive? They could surprise us, but this is not Vegas at all...

Gourde should be back after the first month of the season. If they go with any of those 3 they'd just need to hold the fort for a month and move back into a more comfortable role. We haven't seen the offers yet but they could get either guy at a fair price plus they have Berniers who should help the C depth. They'll have more than enough forwards to start the year, Geekie and Lind are signed just listed as in the minors.

Giordano isn't leaving a huge hole when you don't even know how important he's even going to be. Oleksiak is a little overpaid but he can easily make that contract worth it if he improves a bit more.

Binnington had 1 prior start before the year he outplayed Allen to become the #1 and go on to win the Cup. There's plenty of teams going to younger less experienced goalies these days.

Arizona is in tank mode because they are selling off pieces and taking back unwanted contracts. Seattle hasn't done that. Vegas roster wasn't looking good on paper either. They just had 3 guys all go out and have career years and become a top line out the gate and a few others who surpassed prior totals. Seattle isn't a finished product so we don't know what they might be yet.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Yotes are an embarrassment.
Cmon...what is wrong with what they are doing now? If you weren't a fan of arguably the luckiest franchise in the game (lottery luck and outright tanking to draft a few really good players that turned the franchise around not once but twice) I could take your comment with a grain of salt. As a Pens fan you should be cheering for them to finally win a lottery and draft a franchise centre the likes of which they have never had.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cmon...what is wrong with what they are doing now? If you weren't a fan of arguably the luckiest franchise in the game (lottery luck and outright tanking to draft a few really good players that turned the franchise around not once but twice) I could take your comment with a grain of salt. As a Pens fan you should be cheering for them to finally win a lottery and draft a franchise centre the likes of which they have never had.
They’ve been taking on dead money for years now. This isn’t new.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don’t understand why it’s not the kraken making these moves.
Because Ron Francis is softer than baby shit as a GM.

Absolutely no balls. Too scared to trade any assets and take any risks. Despite this being probably the safer play. Guess he thinks he's going to be competitive with that horrible roster?

He's trash though lol.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Pens fans are the worst. It’s like they don’t realize they’ve been in bankruptcy as many times as the Coyotes. Hell, they filed for a PPP loan to pay salaries last calendar year.
All while having generational talent from winning lotteries to attract fans.

Edit: Actually the Penguins have been in bankruptcy MORE times than the Coyotes.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
They’ve been taking on dead money for years now. This isn’t new.
This isn’t an attempt to reach the cap floor. This is strictly for accumulation of assets. Assets that were lost from the previous regime. John Chayka. The worst f***ing thing to happen to this franchise since Wayne Gretzky.

Reactions: mouser and SR

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Ron Francis - you should be ashamed. :thumbd:

Great job - Bill Armstrong. Fourth good deal. :thumbu:

The team had little chance of making the playoffs.
The team had a free spot under the salary ceiling.
The team has improved its future.
Everything is logical and understandable.

Projected cap space (Arizona Coyotes): $14,046,383
Arizona is creating its future. :nod:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As much as people shit on the Yotes(with good reason), you can't blame Armstrong for the past. What he's doing this summer is the right move, we'll see what comes after this, but so far I think he's doing what needs to be done. The Yotes need to load up on picks and tank for a couple of years, after that comes the real challenge though, you don't want to become stuck as a bottom feeder

Reactions: SR

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Gotta give respect to zito. He’s totally changed the culture around Florida, gotten rid of contracts that are not the greatest in Matheson, Yandle, and stralman even. Replaced and found depth players in duclair, hornqvist, Verhaeghe. They still have their top 3 forward prospects/ young assets in lundell, Tippett, and Denisenko as well.All whilst being handcuffed with bobrovsky. Imagine how insane that team could be if instead of bob, they had dreidger and 2 more top 6/ top 4 caliber players. Next 4-5 years are looking good with this guy in charge

Agreed, hopefully we got a similar guy in Armstrong in AZ to ring in the Sunbelt domination of the league

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Ron Francis - you should be ashamed. :thumbd:

Great job - Bill Armstrong. Fourth good deal. :thumbu:

The team had little chance of making the playoffs.
The team had a free spot under the salary ceiling.
The team has improved its future.
Everything is logical and understandable.

Projected cap space (Arizona Coyotes): $14,046,383
Arizona is creating its future. :nod:

Feels like Az is doing more of the same. But yeah Francis needs to pick his cap space game up

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m wondering if Francis has a budget for the first few years and that’s why he didn’t take on any bad contracts.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Feels like Az is doing more of the same. But yeah Francis needs to pick his cap space game up
We're not if you dig into it. Without context, yea it looks like we're doing the same.

I was not on board with moving OEL and Garland but here we are. I say we give 1 good shot at a top 3 pick at this point and then build up. Our prospect pool will hopefully be back on track, just need that top flight center now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00