Confirmed Trade: [ARI/FLA] Anton Stralman, Vladislav Kolyachonok, and 2024 2nd round pick for 2023 7th round pick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I am going with the theory that unlike VGK, the Kraken owners are cheap ala Melnyk, and probably had internal budget and asked Francis not to exceed it in the first few years until they start seeing money come in.

Francis tried his best to work within that budget to make the picks.

OR

Francis has gone senile

Considering the money behind the Kraken's ownership, I doubt that first idea.

Well they did spend $700 million renovating their arena. But Bonderman is worth a cool $4bn and Bruckheimer $1bn so....

I personally think Francis was just the wrong guy for the job. He doesn't have a lot of GM experience and they probably have gone with a veteran guy like Vegas did (McPhee)

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Darryl Plandowski doesn't know how to draft? News to me.

Could've sworn his last job before us was pretty important on a team that just went back-to-back as Cup champions. But nah, I'm sure Rebels57 here knows how to draft better than Plandowski. :rolleyes:

I meant historically. Relax lol.

Guenther was a very good, albeit obvious pick.

Doan was a reach that wreaked of nepotism.

Not sure on the rest of the 2021 class. Time will tell.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Shame they dont know how to draft lol
You have no idea what you're talking about. Their General Manager is Bill Armstrong. Prior to being hired as Arizona GM, he was the Director of Amateur Scouting for the St. Louis Blues for 10 years. Their Director of Amateur Scouting is Darryl Plandowski, who was the Director of Amateur Scouting for the Tampa Bay Lighting before he took the Arizona job. Neither was able to participate in the 2020 draft. Friday was their first draft. They also just hired Alan Hepple, who was Director of Amateur Scouting for the Colorado Avalanche for twelve year prior to this new position.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
They have $29.5 mill projected space for next season right now...once they take care of Reinhart, there will be plenty left for Barkov and Verhaeghe. No other significant contracts are required beyond that (for next season). They'll figure it out.
Barkov extension at 10 mill brings you down to 19.5 mill. Let's say Verhaeghe + Reinhart combined cost 10 mill, that's 9.5 mill left. And then you need to sign about 8 more forwards and 4-5 more defencemen... That's 9.5 mill for about twelve players and this is just the barest minimum. Even if you pay those guys the league minimum (and that means half of your forward group and 1/3rd of your defence are being paid ca. 800k), you'll still be struggling to make it work.
Unless it's a one year rental, I really don't see how we can afford to sign anyone else.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You have no idea what you're talking about. Their General Manager is Bill Armstrong. Prior to being hired as Arizona GM, he was the Director of Amateur Scouting for the St. Louis Blues for 10 years. Their Director of Amateur Scouting is Darryl Plandowski, who was the Director of Amateur Scouting for the Tampa Bay Lighting before he took the Arizona job. Neither was able to participate in the 2020 draft. Friday was their first draft. They also just hired Alan Hepple, who was Director of Amateur Scouting for the Colorado Avalanche for twelve year prior to this new position.

Again, historically.

Who knew Yotes fans were so sensitive about their drafting. :laugh:

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

rt

May 13, 2004
I meant historically. Relax lol.

Guenther was a good, albeit obvious pick.

Doan was a reach that wreaked of nepotism.

Not sure on the rest of the 2021 class. Time will tell.
How did the last THREE Stanley Cup Finals go? Pretty good for Bill Armstrong and Darrly Plandowski or nah? You should back away slowly and exit quietly, man. Don't double-down.

rt

May 13, 2004
Again, historically.

Who knew Yotes fans were so sensitive about their drafting. :laugh:
What does historically have to do anything? Do you believe in curses and bad luck? Is their some supernatural aura that's going to haunt us? Why does every cringe post have to have six subsequent double-downs that are even more embarrassing? Why can't people just leave the mistake count at one on here? Why the urge to keep running up the L counter?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Hate to say this Seattle fans but this is a trade tailor made for the Kraken. These are the trades that Francis has to make and it's really disappointing that he isn't. He has the capspace to pull these off and gather the assets.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Barkov extension at 10 mill brings you down to 19.5 mill. Let's say Verhaeghe + Reinhart combined cost 10 mill, that's 9.5 mill left. And then you need to sign about 8 more forwards and 4-5 more defencemen... That's 9.5 mill for about twelve players and this is just the barest minimum. Even if you pay those guys the league minimum (and that means half of your forward group and 1/3rd of your defence are being paid ca. 800k), you'll still be struggling to make it work.
Unless it's a one year rental, I really don't see how we can afford to sign anyone else.

We'll see. It's possible they move Hornqvist off the books a year early. They obviously know what they are getting themselves into. I think it's more likely that Huberdeau is the casualty at the end of all this. Unless of course they find a way to dump Bobrovsky lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How did the last THREE Stanley Cup Finals go? Pretty good for Bill Armstrong and Darrly Plandowski or nah? You should back away slowly and exit quietly, man. Don't double-down.

The Coyotes 2017-2020 Drafts were pretty bad. Hopefully things changed with the 2021 class.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Tanking for Wright Bedard ?

Exactly, pretty obvious what they are doing. They have no intention if even trying to win. Be horrible for 2-4 years, snag one or two studs, then leverage your cap space to build from there.

I think it's a pathetic way to build a club, but the league allows it so off we go.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
These are the kinds of trades Seattle should've been doing: Take on cap liabilities for extra picks/prospects.

Not really sure what Francis' strategy is here, unless he thinks he's signing all of Landeskog, Hamilton, and Danault in free agency.

At least Arizona has a clear direction of where they're going: straight down.

they also have a crazy amount of players on one year deals that can be sold off at the deadline for moar assets.

if that happens I think it’s a great plan to rejuvenate the franchise. Weaponize cap space for as many short term cap dumps then flip this expiring deals for *anything at the deadline?

rousell, stralman, etc add some depth to any playoff team for a late rounder

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
they also have a crazy amount of players on one year deals that can be sold off at the deadline for moar assets.

if that happens I think it’s a great plan to rejuvenate the franchise. Weaponize cap space for as many short term cap dumps then flip this expiring deals for *anything at the deadline?

rousell, stralman, etc add some depth to any playoff team for a late rounder

Yep, the players Arizona added (Ghost, Roussell, Beagle, Stralman) and others (Kessel? Fischer, Larsson, Crouse, Kuemper) have some flip potential at the TDL if they retain 50%. That's even more picks headed their way.

I don't get why Francis is just sitting around. It's one thing to save cap space with the intent of "weaponizing it". It's another to...just do nothing.

Obviously free agency is yet to come, so still lots of time to make moves, but it's a bizarre plan. Unless they're just gonna go on a free agent bonanza.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Yep, the players Arizona added (Ghost, Roussell, Beagle, Stralman) and others (Kessel? Fischer, Larsson, Crouse, Kuemper) have some flip potential at the TDL if they retain 50%. That's even more picks headed their way.

I don't get why Francis is just sitting around. It's one thing to save cap space with the intent of "weaponizing it". It's another to...just do nothing.

Obviously free agency is yet to come, so still lots of time to make moves, but it's a bizarre plan. Unless they're just gonna go on a free agent bonanza.

Aren't they only able to retain a certain number of contracts? OEL knocks them down by one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad