Post-Game Talk: Are you saying Blues or Boourns? Jets win 5-1!

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Go Jets Go!
I only watched the back part of the game. Turned it on at 1-0 in the third.... then boom boom out go the lights.
Great win

Reactions: GNP

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The Jets played a good first two periods on the road and then score effect kind of took over:

Helle was fantastic, enough said.

Morrissey and Trouba as a whole played a strong game. Morrissey was terrific all over the ice and Trouba outside of his passing was also strong. Good night for the pair.

Buff was ok but not great. Chariot was mediocre and really shouldn't be in the top 4. At 33 the chances that Buff can consistently carry a replacement level player are low.

Myers was absolutely atrocious tonight, just poor play all around. I feel bad for Morrow, I think he didn't do too bad but was pulled down by his partner.

Maurice should put Morrow back with Buff and Kulikov back with Myers.

Scheifele and Conner were flying out there. Wheeler also played a solid game. No complaints on the top line for me.

Little-Lowry-Perrault : Little played a real strong all around game, no points but looked like the Little of old. Laine was excellent, his skating is really noticeable and it is allowing him to create and impact the play in more ways then last year. Perrault worked hard but didn't generate much.

Lowry and Tanev scored but I thought the line as a whole had one of their least impactful games. They got hemmed in a lot which is very uncharacteristic. Chalk it up to a off night and move forward.

Poor Ehlers, he got the shaft tonight. I didn't see anything off in his game but he just didn't get on the ice enough. Roslovic was solid as was Ves but a lack of ice time hurt their flow imo.

If Maurice plans on using Ehlers on the 4th then he needs to get him some PK time to up his ice time and keep him involved.

I still can't stand our PK system, we bleed way too many shots against. We are going to start bleeding eventually if we keep it up.
Re:Morrow I agree
Thought he played one of his better games

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This team forward group is stack 15 players deep.

Maurice will have problem giving fair ice time.

If team is winning and keep on winning. All will always be well.

Hope he can balance it better.
Especially when games are out of reach.

1 win for Helly 49 more to go.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i thought Laine looked like a different player out there. i saw none of that "lopiness" tonight that's been evident the previous seasons. he looked really much quicker...he's always been a great shooter (obviously) and a great passer, but he made a couple amazing end to end rushes last night and looked more like Ehlers than Laine at times...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Locker room will divide very soon if Ehlers is still on 4th line. Laine, Ehlers and some others will start a coup against Maurice. Chevy better trade Ehlers now before Maurice’s usage destroys his value.
I'm assuming you are serious. The Jets are a very deep team and good players will get less ice time than they might on a weaker team. Players all want to win and are highly trained professionals and all but a few will happily ride out the personal ups and downs in the pursuit of team success. We all saw MP happy with his role on the 4th line last season and is now on the number 2 unit. To start this season Maurice has the luxury of using Ehlers to help develop a young center and a raw talented winger. No one is starting a coup and to think so is actually kind of silly.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think I watched a different game than everyone else.

Briefly:

CLT - struggled with their matchups most of the night defensively and couldn't get their usual cycle game going very often

PLL - easily the best line. Laine looking more a complete player

CSW - obviously can make scoring look super easy and were dangerous going forward; but I think they have more to offer

VRE - limited minutes before garbage time. Vesalainen was very good outside one giveaway. Rosie with easy speed but lacked a bit of urgency/aggression. Ehlers was solid. I think this line has more to offer but tough to get into the flow with 5 minutes of icetime thru 2 periods.

Defense:

I think there's consensus here. We have 3 extremely good D and three borderline tire fires.

Fully supported sending Niku down but think it must be time to bring him up.

Last edited:
Reactions: FonRiesen

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah. People suggests that what is visibly not working should be fixed.

Lines suggested for changes were exactly those that did achieve absolutely nothing. Nobody suggested touching CSW and CLT I guess.

Don't touch what is working, but for sure touch what isn't.

Ps. 5-1 numbers were really far from the truth to be honest. For sure the Jets were much better than the Blues, but not 5 to 1 better.

I really did love how Helle did pick up after some more than iffy moments on first half of the games. So sad guys in front of him made a mistake on that goal. Little was just way too gassed on that one to think clear and left his guy wide open. There was no way Wheeler could have arrived on time to save that one.

Besides obvious, but easily fixed line problems and Myers starting a little slow, I think the only major problem was taking stupid penalties.
Maurice isn't going to change the lineup after one game, which they won 5-1.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Maurice isn't going to change the lineup after one game, which they won 5-1.

If he has not changed his 17-18 habits, he won't change lineup after 30 or 40 games dysfunctional 2nd line either. I'm with you on this.

We only request him to do obvious changes, not expect him to do. He is not the best losing NHL coach ever for nothing.

Reactions: Bigfish

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Locker room will divide very soon if Ehlers is still on 4th line. Laine, Ehlers and some others will start a coup against Maurice. Chevy better trade Ehlers now before Maurice’s usage destroys his value.
Aside from the 7 year, 42 million dollar contract he's just starting. This won't be happening.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
If he has not changed his 17-18 habits, he won't change lineup after 30 or 40 games dysfunctional 2nd line either. I'm with you on this.

We only request him to do obvious changes, not expect him to do. He is not the best losing NHL coach ever for nothing.
One game, 5-1 win. They will try to improve some of their play, they won't change the lineup.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Solid start to the season, hell of a lot better than last seasons kick off.

[Laine Little Perreault] That line had a positive impact most of their shifts, solid puck possession, some solid chances.

The line works when Laine is skating, and so far, he moving much much better. He is miles ahead of where he started the season last year. Carrying all the extra weight was a massive mistake last season, not skating, add pounds made him a sluggish slow player. Last night he was moving at a much faster pace.

Laine admitted he didn't do himself any favours last year coming in heavy. Hopefully going forward, his offseason will continue to be about improving his speed, not his size.

Lowry's line was solid throughout, Scheifs line was solid but also gave up some prime chances. Connor looked like a completely different player from where he was to start the season last year.

Helly was Helly good last night. And as good as he had to be, he once again looked so quiet and composed for the entire game.

Thought Morrow looked solid last night. He skated the puck out of some tight spots last night, moving it out of danger using his speed. You pay $$ big for that... like this signing.

Vesalainen had a couple of good shifts, and some not so good. Looked like a young 19 year old in his first NHL game. Didn't hurt us though, want to see him improve on his next game.

Roslovic was ok, made some mistakes last night in our end, but a nice start to holding down a C spot in the NHL.

1 down 81 to go

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Fun game to watch. It's great to have hockey back. As goes Helle, so go the Jets and Helle was great last night.

It's nice to be (tied for) 1st in the league. At this time last year we were (tied for) last. What a turnaround!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
i thought Laine looked like a different player out there. i saw none of that "lopiness" tonight that's been evident the previous seasons. he looked really much quicker...he's always been a great shooter (obviously) and a great passer, but he made a couple amazing end to end rushes last night and looked more like Ehlers than Laine at times...

I agree that Laine looked like a different guy out there. Let's face it when you lose 15 lbs which is about 7 % of your body weight, it surely will make a difference. Just try strapping a 15 lb weight around your waist, and go for a jog - you'll be beat, in no time.

There definitely is a difference in Laine's speed and his stamina -"no question." Maybe he was reading these boards about posters commenting on him being slow ?? I just hope he continues with an improved diet, and takes his physical conditioning seriously. He looks 100 % better out there to me. Be interesting to see what this kid can do playing at 214 lbs, instead of 230 lbs plus.

He could really be a dangerous player, and a dominant line driver, if he keeps up with his conditioning program. Way to go Patrick Laine- "keep it up."

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Helle looked like a bonafide Vezina Trophy Winner. We had some defensive lapses but thats kinda expected in the 1st meaningful game of the season. Myers was brutal but Laine looked much faster and engaged. Great way to start the season boys especially against a team that is supposed to contend in the west. Go Jets Go!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We all saw MP happy with his role on the 4th line last season and is now on the number 2 unit. To start this season Maurice has the luxury of using Ehlers to develop a young center, and a talented winger. No one is starting a coup and to think so is actually kind of silly.

So true what you say in your post Bogo -- and unfortunately Ehlers has to pay the price for this in respect to ice time, and productivity. Ehlers is a high paid very talented winger making $ 6 mil per year, and you would think that Maurice would use that skill.

The part I don't like is that he's playing with Vesalainen, who's not shown anything, and Maurice is only playing him to keep him from returning to Europe. Ehlers is amongst the Jet's 5 most talented guys, and I'd like to see him getting his fair share of ice time. He's way better than Perrault -- but I guess Maurice wants to run these lines for awhile and Nik will have to sacrifice. I don't like it, as Ehlers is so exciting to watch, and he's really come into his own. I guess we'll see what happens.

I think Lemieux or Dano, should be plugged into that line, and Vesa sent home to Europe, or down to play with the Moose. We'll see what happens :dunno:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Beating the Blues and the Preds are among the most important things with regards to finishing high in the Central. This is an ideal start for us.

Not surprised to see Laine do well with Perreault. They are basically each other's polar opposites and oh, do they compliment each other ever so well.

Another non-surprise: based on the comments, there is clearly a defenseman who stood out in a bad way... just saying.

On to the next. Hoping I can catch a game myself at some point.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Holly crap Helly was fantastic last night....If he has an average game and this one could have gone either way....Instead we get Super Helly and cruise to victory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad