Post-Game Talk: Are you saying Blues or Boourns? Jets win 5-1!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And it's a European bias to think Europe is a better place to develop than the A.
Especially since both teams play in Winnipeg and the coaches can have more say in development.
European teams are trying to win and their # 1 priority is not development. The A they don't have the same pressure as everyone would be fine with Moose losing if the Jets win. Which means you can try a guy like Ves on pk if that's what the Jets want even if it causes short term pain.
No I think the Moose is the best place for a Jet prospect to develop from a team perspective. Same city, playing the same systems, ideal usage to develop the role the team wants you in and the team can bring you back and forth as they need/want. But to expect all European kids to feel the same way is naive IMO. And for player development I don't think there is much difference. If KV went back to Europe he would play against better competition, play in the WJC and the World Championship in and around the KHL season. Players come to the NHL all the time finishing off their junior careers or playing multiple years in Europe and do just fine entering the NHL. Financially KV will be far more to go back and play at home.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I imagine the AHL is better competition than the SEL; maybe a bit worse than the K?

KV is going to spend 6-8 weeks up and collect a couple hundred grand before accepting a Moose assignment. Book it.

(note: I am right 0% of the time that I say "book it")

Reactions: GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well, he has a point about the penalty stuff.
no he didn't. no point at all. perron just missed his head with a shoulder or elbow shot. so it wasn't a good hit he was responding too but an attempt to take his head off. plus it was 5-0. their should be no issues with players going after someone after any sort of attempt to hit their heads regardless of the score.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
no he didn't. no point at all. perron just missed his head with a shoulder or elbow shot. so it wasn't a good hit he was responding too but an attempt to take his head off. plus it was 5-0. their should be no issues with players going after someone after any sort of attempt to hit their heads regardless of the score.
You're barking up a dead dog's ass my friend as I didn't see the game. My comment was more general regarding the entire team and their penchant for taking penalties. They're not as bad as they used to be though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Jets management is worried at all about the Euro clause. Actually I think they are a bit ahead of the curve allowing European players to develop at home. As I stated earlier they are treating KV like a 19 y/o junior eligible player. They are giving him a few NHL games to see if he can quickly make the transition to the NHL. If not they are fine with him going back to Europe to develop and then they will welcome him back next season for year 1 of his ELC. IMO it is nothing but NA bias that says the AHL is better for developing players than European leagues.

I liked this post until your last sentence. It is arguable where the AHL ranks in terms of the overall quality of play compared to the Euro leagues. I don't believe that applies to development though. The AHL is a development league. The Euro leagues are for profit, competition based leagues. Big difference.

With the Moose a player is just down the hall from the Jets. He gets development based coaching, and lots of it. Ice time will be allocated according to what will best develop the most promising players. He is available for recall to the NHL on short notice. That means he may get actual NHL TOI and get to practice with NHL players.

All that said, the Euro leagues provide a high level of competition and competent coaching. A young player can still progress there. But not as well as in the AHL.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope. It's like trading in a Toyota Corolla for a Toyota Corolla. Dependable car but you aren't winning a drag race with it.

Not really. Reilly gets 55 points at least every season, and little has done that once maybe. And reilly is 3 years younger. And i wish little was getting 35 or more assists, might mean he was setting up laine better.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maurice has players like Laine and Ehlers available but he can't play them more than 15 minutes because Little can't be trusted to not get destroyed in any head-to-head matchup. Time to replace Little with Lowry and demote Little to the third line(Said this last season as well). Although, my preferred thing to do would still be putting Wheeler with Little and seeing if Little accomplishes anything with him.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Connor Schiefele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Perrault roslovic Dano
Copp Lowry tanev

Man that lowry line is good.
Its hard to move Lowry up away from them.

But Lowry has a lot more to give also.

Reactions: Trilliann

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have nothing against analytics in the game. I understand the need to track stuff like Corsi and adjusted corsi and WAR. It's just that we spent so many of our Jets 2.0 years patting ourselves on the back because we won the Corsi, even though we lost the games, didn't make the playoffs etc.

We have a very talented offensive team now, more guys with higher than average shooting percentages, a potent power play, more forward depth throughout the lines, the ability to score in bunches. And we have a Vezina quality goal tender (at least last year) who showed last night how to dominate a game. So advanced stats get skewed from Score Effects. Then there are 'adjustments' to the stats due to the score etc - to explain/adjust the advanced stats so that they make sense because the team that isn't supposed to be winning is winning. It is like a bit of a circle.

At the end of the day, it is the score in the games that translates into position in the standings that gets you into the playoffs. I would be just fine losing every game on Corsi, but generating 100+ points in the standings so that we are in the post season.

So I say it casually (Screw the Corsi, win the Scorsi) but I mean it. Even though I respect analytics in the game, and understand why they are important at the team and individual player levels. But at the end of the day, I want us to win games - period.

You point is fair.....the way I look at it is “for me” they are fun to track, watch, and discuss. I think in large sample sizes stats are meaningful although there are outliers. However, they have much less impact on single game results. I don’t stress on what happens in a game but I am mindful of the trends.

One thing I have learned the hard way and the easy way is that a really good goaltender is an incredibly important factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad